Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do atheists see Jesus' parables?
How do atheists see Jesus' parables?
Here's the one on the Catholic docket for this weekend:

I'm not going to try to explain it, or tell you what spin the priest put on it, or tell you how I feel about it.  I'll spare you.   Cool   This question is for people who were NEVER Christian.  So if you feel like reading 14 short verses and telling me what you think about the story, I'm just really curious.  I'll share my thoughts later if you want.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
RE: How do atheists see Jesus' parables?
I hate weddings.  Very depressing.
Damn.... please can you explain it? My attention span will never let me get past about line number three when it comes to anything from the Bible.
Like any stories, you can sometimes learn morals from them. Though some lessons will be outdated or backwards. Like the story of the man who builds his house on sand, and another o rock. You're meant to come away thinking faith is the rock, but the need for revivals shows that faith is not a rock.

That particular story is rather odd. Who kills or abuses people just for being invited to a wedding? And why would you tie someone up before throwing him out the door, instead of just asking him to leave and come back with better clothes? Actually, who prepares a wedding before invitations are even sent?

I assume the wedding represents heaven, but I don't really know what moral we're supposed to take from it.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I cannot come.

I cannot come to the banquet,

Don’t trouble me now.

I have married a wife,

I have bought me a cow.

I have fields and commitments

That cost a pretty sum,

Pray, hold me excused,

I cannot come.

Verse 1

A certain man held a feast

On his fine estate in town,

He laid a festive table,

And wore a wedding gown.

He sent invitations

To his neighbors far and wide,

But when the meal was ready,

Each of them replied…..

(REFRAIN)

Verse 2

The master rose up in anger,

Called his servants by name, said:

“Go into the town,

Fetch the blind and the lame,

Fetch the peasant and the pauper

For this I have willed,

My banquet must be crowed,

And my table must be filled.”

REFRAIN

Verse 3

When all the poor had assembled,

There was still room to spare,

So the master demanded:

“Go search ev’rywhere,

To the highways and the byways

And force them to come in,

My table must be filled before the banquet can begin.

REFRAIN

Verse 4

Now God has written a lesson

For the rest of mankind;

If we’re slow in responding,

He may leave us behind

He’s preparing a banquet for that

Great and glorious day,

When the Lord and Master callus,

Be certain not to say….

(REFRAIN)

I cannot come.

I cannot come to the banquet,

Don’t trouble me now.

I have married a wife,

I have bought me a cow.

I have fields and commitments

That cost a pretty sum,

Pray, hold me excused,

I cannot come.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(October 14, 2017 at 10:19 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: I cannot come.

That's what she said.

(My response was: "Whaaaa but I don't wanna do missionary I wanna do doggystyle Sad Sad Sad.".... but then I did what she wanted anyway because I'm a gentleman. And finally, she arrived in the dirty sense).
If Jesus had something to say, he should have been clearer and dropped the wise guy act. The son of the almighty creator of everything really ought to know the importance of clarity in public speaking.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(October 14, 2017 at 10:22 pm)Cyberman Wrote: If Jesus had something to say, he should have been clearer and dropped the wise guy act. The son of the almighty creator of everything really ought to know the importance of clarity in public speaking.

Matthew 13
10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
The problem is in #9: 9 go to the main crossroads and invite everyone you can find to come to the wedding."

He didn't really mean everyone, he meant only those that will be compliant. 

Come to think of it, that was the problem from the beginning. Only invite those who will be subservient. The rest can get fucked.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
@Huggy

Set that to music. Record it to CD. Then drop it into a rock crusher. Thanks.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  To Atheists: Who, in your opinion, was Jesus Christ? JJoseph 50 1693 January 9, 2024 at 4:28 am
Last Post: no one
  What value do you see in studying theology in concerns to Christianity? EgoDeath 40 3822 September 8, 2019 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Christians: Can you see why atheists don't buy this stuff? vulcanlogician 49 3908 August 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  What I see in the Bible is different then Jews and Christians. Mystic 8 2583 December 31, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3324 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Let's see how many apologetics take the bait Joods 127 18162 July 16, 2016 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  He can see color!! Puh-raise Juh-heezus!!!! drfuzzy 15 2453 May 24, 2016 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Why can't I see the devil? KUSA 43 5709 April 1, 2016 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Intelligent Atheists: Who/What Was Jesus? Cleo 87 18198 December 4, 2015 at 1:56 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  Taste and see... daver49 19 3975 March 21, 2015 at 9:49 pm
Last Post: daver49