Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christians claiming there is no morality without god.
Christians claiming there is no morality without god.
[Snip]

Anyone interested in helping me take this on?
RE: Christians claiming there is no morality without god.
Plenty of that going on here, currently....they all read from the same bullshit mill, and it runs on cycles (it's monetized...you see.....). Wait a month, they'll be on to something else. Why take it on at all, if they say there'd be no morality without god...and if it weren't for god they be out raping and pillaging...just agree.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyHhAoxTXKI
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Xtians say lots of stupid shit. Where's the news in that?
As Rhythm says, plenty of threads right here.

There's actually a killer argument against it: What does it say about a person, who needs some ultimate authority to not go out on a killing spree? If they need the threat of ultimate punishment to not be assholes, they are just sad losers.

Other than that, sorry, I don't do facebook if I can help it.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Why do atheists want to be our God?

What a moron.

Morality "coming from God" is an unfalsifiable and therefor useless propositon. Objective morality coming from God is a contradiction, it would be subjective to God and therefor only in line with our wellbeing by coincidence.

Theists only follow the morality "given by God" when it lines up with their own, and ignore the rest of it. So all they are doing it using their own morality, the same as atheists do, just they are claiming divine righteousness. The only difference is their own morality may be corrupted by the religious edicts, pressuring them into doing things they wouldn't otherwise do.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
No, whoever you are.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(March 23, 2015 at 6:03 pm)because Wrote: [snip]

Anyone interested in helping me take this on?

Not really...? No offense, but we don't know you and we don't know that lady on Facebook. Why would it be appropriate for us to come to your rescue and/or dog pile on her? We're not the atheist fire department.

Howabout you write an introduction in the introduction section, participate here for a bit, and become part of the community?
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
It seems I need barely a nudge to go into soapbox mode :p Went all glassy eyed again.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I'll bite Tongue

Quote:Atheists like to claim that our own sense of empathy should be our guideline for morality. At the same time, they scoff at christians who get their morality from god's word and not themselves. But it's only their mere opinion that empathy should ground morality, and I'm not bound to their opinions. So I continue to ask...why do atheists want to be our God?

The failure here is in "christians who get their morality from god's word".
A few assumptions are at work here:
- There is a god
- This god speaks
- This god has spoken to humans
- humans have recorded that word reliably
- The god is reliably represented by the christian religion

Atheists, on the other hand, assume that... err... people exist and need to work together as a society.

Which seems more far fetched?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mike Litorus owns god without any verses no one 3 396 July 9, 2023 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Morality Kingpin 101 5610 May 31, 2023 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6252 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Morality without God Superjock 102 8845 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 2959 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do you wish there's a god? Catharsis 580 42724 April 10, 2019 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Morality Agnostico 337 36203 January 30, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Do u want there to be a God? Any God? Agnostico 304 28630 December 19, 2018 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" Bahana 220 22254 October 8, 2018 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Developing systems of morality, outside of religious influence. Kookaburra 28 4139 March 20, 2018 at 1:27 am
Last Post: haig