Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to save your children from hell
How to save your children from hell
Greetings fellow species members, I was tinkering around with some thoughts in my head and followed a certain line of reasoning that, wouldn't ya know it, lead to the first original argument I had since becoming atheist (gotta start somewhere right? Tongue). I don't know if it's original in the sense that I'm the first person to come up with it (I'd be astounded if I was, and a little worried too) but it was original to me in the sense that I didn't just see this point posted on a forum or in a book somewhere.
So I wanted to put it out there to the community and see how it would hold up under scrutiny. If at all possible I'd like at least one christian to respond to this. So with that out there, here's my thought:

All the time I hear of "God's plan" and how he puts hardships onto people for the good of their spiritual growth. This ranges from losing your car keys on the day of an interview to getting shot and becoming a paraplegic. Even death comes into the equation. If someone dies inexplicably, a christian can say that they're in heaven now and God sacrificed them for the good of the people still alive it would affect (one can argue about how God contradicts "free will" here but I want to bypass this and talk about a different point). This might help with the seemingly pointless deaths of adults but what about the little ones?

Every year around the globe, children and infants die due to disease, famine, war and some unpreventable causes. The U.S saw 24,000 infants die in 2011 alone, and we're a relatively safe place to live on the inside. What spiritual growth does this instill?

Let me answer this myself since I can already hear it. "The parents will be strengthened through their hardship knowing that when they die, their children will be waiting on the other side in heaven." And indeed I see this point frequently with parents who have lost a young child or miscarried. "My child was too young to comprehend the world and accept Jesus before he died but I received a vision from God telling me that my child is with him. Isn't God merciful?" The stance here being that the child couldn't make a decision due to the lack of proper mental faculties so God being a merciful and loving god gave them a free pass into heaven. So everything is roses and snickerdoodles, great.

If that's the case then what I want to propose is this: Should we kill our babies before they have a chance to understand having a choice? I mean think about it. They won't have to toil, they won't have to experience pain, they won't have to go through that awkward teenage puberty phase and they won't have the chance to doubt God and get themselves thrown in hell for all eternity. It might end up getting yourself thrown into hell in the end but wouldn't you do anything to guarantee the eternal bliss of your children? Heck, you might even get out of the whole hell bit if you truly repent and ask for forgiveness, win-win.
What say you? Why shouldn't we just kill our babies outright?
RE: How to save your children from hell
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH There just woah there.
No to killing kids because killing kids is bad especially babies killing babies is terrible. I say give life a chance if they turn out to be terrible people and do
terrible things it is how that person was raised. All in all how we are raised as children affects how we act and behave in the long run.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Don't worry I have no intention of killing anyone, especially little children, I'm just trying to make a point here.
You are right, that would be the logical conclusion for christians. It has actually happened before as well, a woman killed her kid to "send it to heaven". Luckily most christians don't really believe it and would rather risk their child going to hell.

It shows how dangerous this kind of magical thinking can be.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I see a valid point at what you are trying to get across. When people especially when they talk about life death ETC it falls into the realms of religion and gods will.
Considering how many people die everyday of accidents natural causes and other many things. Its sad that infants die yes its not gods plan things just happen.
More or less the whole idea of heaven and gods will is something that comforts people. Life is filled with pain and suffering there is no getting past that i mean take that away
i mean what are we really after that its apart of the human condition.

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
You won't get a single atheist defending your proposal. I can't speak for the theists here, though I have my suspicions about a couple of them.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(March 24, 2015 at 2:39 am)Stimbo Wrote: You won't get a single atheist defending your proposal. I can't speak for the theists here, though I have my suspicions about a couple of them.

Yeah it had it had me cringe....
Also i wouldn't put it past theists to kill their own children and well......... its been documented happening. And also not to recently a woman killed her kids thinking it was going to be the end of the world needless to say her crazy ass in jail for good.

Code:
Come on guys! I'm looking for a good counter argument here. It's no fun if the argument wins by default. Where's Huggy when you need him?
(March 24, 2015 at 1:47 am)urlawyer Wrote:

If that's the case then what I want to propose is this: Should we kill our babies before they have a chance to understand having a choice? I mean think about it. They won't have to toil, they won't have to experience pain, they won't have to go through that awkward teenage puberty phase and they won't have the chance to doubt God and get themselves thrown in hell for all eternity. It might end up getting yourself thrown into hell in the end but wouldn't you do anything to guarantee the eternal bliss of your children? Heck, you might even get out of the whole hell bit if you truly repent and ask for forgiveness, win-win.
What say you? Why shouldn't we just kill our babies outright?

Well, that seems a modest proposal. Thinking
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
Mostly I've heard you can be forgiven for anything but calling the holy spirit a fuckbanana, so you just fibrewire your kids then apologize. If you don't you (a) put them through this shitty "pointless" life first (b) risk them leaving your religion and suffering forever. Would you take that kind of risk on behalf of your kid? Wow, you must really hate your kid.

Dangerous, dangerous. All the pieces are there, but the rational parts of christian's brains somehow tell them it's not as simple as that. As usual, their actions entirely betray their professed beliefs.

Hey, I'll pretend to be a theist and give you my best counter argument:

I am capable of error and of being deceived. I cannot gamble with my children's lives, who I am here to protect, because there's always the slight chance I am mistaken about how Christianity works or about whether it is real at all.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religious groups in UK failing children over sex abuse zebo-the-fat 1 1134 September 2, 2021 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Church of England 'failed to protect children from sexual abusers' zebo-the-fat 25 1983 October 8, 2020 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: no one
  Telling children that they are going to hell is abusive? Fake Messiah 104 9134 February 9, 2020 at 2:46 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Catholic priests jailed for abusing deaf children zebo-the-fat 14 2551 November 26, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Do Christian Parents Abuse their Children? Bow Before Zeus 177 27280 November 29, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Ex-Christians: How do you lose your fear of hell? KiwiNFLFan 29 5642 November 20, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Protection for Children The Valkyrie 0 835 August 24, 2017 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Vatican Children's Hospital showcasing something besides excellence in child care vorlon13 14 3447 July 19, 2017 at 1:49 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Teach children about Jesus at a young age, Foxaèr 171 29177 March 22, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Theists teaching children Foxaèr 20 2420 March 14, 2016 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Foxaèr