Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theists teaching children
Theists teaching children
I could understand if theists were willing to be as open minded about teaching as atheists.

After all, if I was going to teach a child about religion, it would not be to state that a particular religion is true above all else and that you must believe it as truth or you will burn in hell.

I believe all children should be introduced to the freedom of discovering belief, or lack thereof.

I would never teach one thing over another. Rather, I would introduce the reality that there are different beliefs, and that one should find his own path without a singular path being chosen for him.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Theists teaching children
My boys tried to have a discussion about religion today. What infuriates me so much is that they have something called "Release Time" after school. It is a program held at the school and run by someone they employ. Guess what it focuses on?

Yep. The bible and god.

They are my stepsons and no matter what, legally, I have zero say in the matter. If I did, I wouldn't allow them in the program.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Is the program held on school grounds even after school? If so, that is still against the separation of church and state.
~ Erin Hunter
Yes. It's an after school program held in one of the classrooms. I know it's a separation of church and state. I have no say in the matter. I'm just the stepmom. If I knew I had a solid case, I'd sue, but my own children aren't in that school district so I would really have no grounds to stand on, not being a parent of an actual student going there. My own girls are lucky. Their school district does NOT have this sort of program there.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
And how does the father feel about it? Inform me more of that situation.
~ Erin Hunter
He feels that because his ex wife fails repeatedly to keep him informed of situations at school (she tells him about things after she's handled them), doctor appointments (she tells him about those, after the boys have already been seen), that if it keeps the boys out of trouble for a bit after school, then what's the harm? He's a Wiccan. We don't discuss religion, but I talk about this forum and atheism a lot.

His ex has majority physical custody of the boys and both parents share equal legal custody. She's violated the legal custody part so many times, I've lost count. But we don't have the money for a lawyer and he can't afford to take even one day off from work, so there isn't much that can be done. I get mad sometimes because I honestly feel that he doesn't fight as hard for his kids as I have fought for mine. I have to remind him that the weekends are for the kids, not for us to sit in front of the tv for the short time we have them with us.
He's also not the type that likes confrontation with his ex, which is why she gets away with things and he bites his tongue most of the time.
The fact that he's Wiccan, because I used to be Wiccan and know it well, he should be appalled by what the school is doing.

He needs to grow a pair.
~ Erin Hunter
I don't know much about Wiccan, to be honest. And I'm not sure how much he actually knows about it either. Before I would even think about questioning his faith about this, I'd need to be educated in his beliefs.
Wicca does tend to have this live and let live philosophy, which might explain your explanation about him being complacent about his confrontation problem. However, his daddy instinct should automatically override that. No pagan parent wants his child to be taught something that is against church and state policy.
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religious groups in UK failing children over sex abuse zebo-the-fat 1 1135 September 2, 2021 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Church of England 'failed to protect children from sexual abusers' zebo-the-fat 25 1988 October 8, 2020 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: no one
  Telling children that they are going to hell is abusive? Fake Messiah 104 9150 February 9, 2020 at 2:46 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Catholic priests jailed for abusing deaf children zebo-the-fat 14 2551 November 26, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Do Christian Parents Abuse their Children? Bow Before Zeus 177 27284 November 29, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Protection for Children The Valkyrie 0 836 August 24, 2017 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Vatican Children's Hospital showcasing something besides excellence in child care vorlon13 14 3456 July 19, 2017 at 1:49 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Teach children about Jesus at a young age, Foxaèr 171 29187 March 22, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Little children who died without Baptism go to eternal Hell?! Jehanne 34 6048 February 29, 2016 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Pat Robertson: non-religious children should be beaten drfuzzy 35 10289 September 7, 2015 at 10:50 am
Last Post: robvalue