Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to solve the fresh water problem, clean energy rising seas all by digging a ditch
how to solve the fresh water problem, clean energy rising seas all by digging a ditch
I watch a youtube video about the guy who brought us 5 hour energy
He wants to save the world by providing Clean energy, fresh water, ect and is willing to pledge 90% of his 5 billion dollar net worth to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY7f1t9y9a0

I watched the video and saw his team had some very innovative ways of doing things. then I started to think how to approach his issues. I hate to use the word 'vision' but I was given to see how the world works in processing fresh water on its own, then I broke those elements down to regions where these elements are in abundance and completely free. So like anything I do here I researched it. after 15 mins:

below is a link to a paper I found researching an idea I had to flood a desert with sea water creating a very large lake/small sea. The purposed idea in the paper speaks of one specific area that sits below sea level (that was once a small sea) which will allow for not only introducing sea water into a desert region but because it sits below sea level the water entering the region can be harnessed for hydroelectric power.
If nothing else I believe this idea needs to be funded and at least researched for viability as it seems to potentially solve rising sea level issue, a fresh water issue, provide viable farmable land, and in the right region provide electricity cleanly. Potentially all by correctly digging a canal..
Granted this will not be an overnight fix, but it may point us all in the right direction.
https://pielkeclimatesci.files.wordpress...9/r-36.pdf

The above is what I sent to his (5 hour energy drink guys) company "Stage 2 innovations."

So why am I posting this?

To ask if any of you know any reason for this to work or not work?
And does anyone have any innovation to add?

http://stage2innovations.com/
RE: how to solve the fresh water problem, clean energy rising seas all by digging a ditch
The Qattara Depression idea has been around for a long time. Digging the canal is prohibitively expensive ($5 billion won't scratch the surface), so much so that nuclear explosions were proposed to carve it out.

Filling the Qattara Depression (area = 19,600 square km) to a level of 60m would have an imperceptible effect on global sea level (area = 361,900,000 square km).

The hope of viable farmland hinges on the promise of local climate/weather changes in the immediate area caused by the 'new' lake. Even if this panned out, salt is the big enemy. I'm not sure how you think this solves a fresh water problem since the obvious salination will contaminate any existing ground water supplies in the area.

It's certainly a creative idea and the 4400Mw or so of clean hydroelectricity is upside, but I don't think this overcomes the challenges.
RE: how to solve the fresh water problem, clean energy rising seas all by digging a ditch
Furthermore, given the VAST expenditures and unpredictable climactic issues involved, I'm not sure that 4400MW is worth the effort, when world electricity consumption is rapidly approaching 20 000 TWh. Not to put too fine a point on it, that's twenty thousand trillion watt hours

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Sediment cores from dried up lake beds indicate that the Sahara has been drying for 6,000 years and steadily extending its reach southward.  Oh, and the sediment cores do not show any record of a global "flood."
(December 4, 2015 at 6:55 pm)Cato Wrote: The Qattara Depression idea has been around for a long time. Digging the canal is prohibitively expensive ($5 billion won't scratch the surface), so much so that nuclear explosions were proposed to carve it out.

Filling the Qattara Depression (area = 19,600 square km) to a level of 60m would have an imperceptible effect on global sea level (area = 361,900,000 square km).

The hope of viable farmland hinges on the promise of local climate/weather changes in the immediate area caused by the 'new' lake. Even if this panned out, salt is the big enemy. I'm not sure how you think this solves a fresh water problem since the obvious salination will contaminate any existing ground water supplies in the area.

It's certainly a creative idea and the 4400Mw or so of clean hydroelectricity is upside, but I don't think this overcomes the challenges.

The quattara depression is only one of several possible man made salt seas purposed. That particular one simply had a paper already written about how it is suggested to impact that region.

How does nature turn salt water into fresh?
Evaporation/rain. The quattra depression contains that regions largest salt deposit. Why? Because it was the basin of an inland salt sea that evaporated. So re filling a proven fresh water solar generator will put humidity back into the air which will (given enough time) create rain in that region. The salt lake and the area around it is screwed, (but then again it has been before man set foot outside the garden) but the rest of the region would benfit from rain fall and power generated by the hydroelectric dams, and 5 hour energy guy's DC power generators.

As far as building the canal I'm not suggesting this guy do it alone. Because your right 5 billion is not enough to build the canal and dam, however it is enough to research and promote the idea if valid. If it works it maybe the key to using 'global warming' and rising sea levels to our advantage in reclaiming the worlds deserts.
I'm at a loss for why you think this could possibly have any appreciable effect on sea level.
(December 4, 2015 at 7:21 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Furthermore, given the VAST expenditures and unpredictable climactic issues involved, I'm not sure that 4400MW is worth the effort, when world electricity consumption is rapidly approaching 20 000 TWh.  Not to put too fine a point on it, that's twenty thousand trillion watt hours

Boru

Again this is thinking small and conventional.

DC power stations are more efficient, and any extra power being generated can be stored unlike conventional AC power. In the video the 5 hour energy team has created a person powered generator that after only one hour of pedaling on a bike, you have enough power to run a home for 24 hours. This is the same as 5.5 KW per day generated in 1 hour. Now the question would be is how much power could be generated and stored if one of those systems was connected to a hydroelectric dam?
(December 7, 2015 at 9:36 am)Cato Wrote: I'm at a loss for why you think this could possibly have any appreciable effect on sea level.

what about everything else?

Are you still at a loss as to how everything else is to work?
(December 7, 2015 at 9:36 am)Cato Wrote: I'm at a loss for why you think this could possibly have any appreciable effect on sea level.

Well, you've done some pagan math in calculating water volumes, keep in mind when doing Christian math, all things are possible, such as 1+1+1=1  and 3=1, so you are getting the wrong answer.

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I think everyone in the whole world should get a bucket and fill it with seawater. Sorted.

Razz
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help me solve this optoelectronics problem! Macoleco 13 1493 September 27, 2019 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Body Of Water Discovered On Mars A Theist 4 941 July 26, 2018 at 6:32 am
Last Post: A Theist
  Start digging, lads! Minimalist 4 902 January 6, 2016 at 2:41 am
Last Post: Cato
  Do computers solve the equations yet? watchamadoodle 23 4563 March 28, 2015 at 7:21 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Cheap Clean Energy Heywood 12 1860 May 3, 2014 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Clean drinking water BrokenQuill92 3 1111 February 21, 2014 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Rank the top best scientists of all time. Of all time. [so far] Autumnlicious 28 9776 October 5, 2012 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  'Huge' water resource exists under Africa frankiej 6 2801 April 21, 2012 at 10:19 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  2-in-1 device uses sewage as fuel to make electricity and clean the sewage KichigaiNeko 2 1792 April 1, 2012 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Nine
Question Effects Of Thoughts And Words On Water Atharonis 14 4379 February 2, 2012 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris