Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 10:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
i believe
i believe
i believe that people who believe in god are weak
they need something to believe in because reality is to hard for them

they don't want to believe that once death occurs its forever you don't get to live in a magical place where everything you ever wanted is just there waiting for you
they don't want to believe death is the end, like we are some godly beings who can never truly die
if there is heaven and hell, the only way to see it is too die, and to be honest i rather not.
RE: i believe
Do you also lack belief in capitalization, punctuation, and the difference between 'to' and 'too'?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I don't think that is true of them all.  Many are indoctrinated while young.  Remember, little children are often suckered into believing in Santa Claus, but with the god story, the adults never admit that it was a hoax, and have serious threats for those who do not go along with them.  This includes real things, like shunning, and also the fictional hell, though if one does not know it is fiction, the threat can be effective.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(April 1, 2015 at 7:51 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Do you also lack belief in capitalization, punctuation, and the difference between 'to' and 'too'?

Please forgive Boru; we're not Facebook. Don't let that scare you away though. We're really okay once you get to know us.  Wink
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
I think fear of death is a strong factor in why people can't let go of religion once it's been implanted in their brain. Indoctrination puts the idea in your head that you need religion, that you would be screwed without it. Because we're so aware of our own mortality, I can understand how giving up on an irrational belief in life carrying on forever is difficult.

Some people have clearly been so heavily indoctrinated that no amount of reason can get through, their minds have been so fucked with that can't distinguish reality from their mythology. I think there's a clear difference between those kinds of people, and others who I suspect know full well what a crock of shit they are defending. I feel very sorry for the first category, and I'm appalled by the intellectual dishonesty of the second.

For myself, having never been indoctrinated into any mythology, I've not had any problem accepting that nothing magical will happen to "me" after I die. Religion smacks you in the crotch then sells you crotch cream. And it teaches you to smack yourself in the crotch, so you keep needing that cream. And brain cream.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 1, 2015 at 7:33 pm)LiveDie1337 Wrote: i believe that people who believe in god are weak
Yeah, sometimes.

Quote:they don't want to believe that once death occurs its forever
Right. So far we're on the same page.

Quote:they don't want to believe death is the end, like we are some godly beings who can never truly die
Correct again.

Quote:if there is heaven and hell, the only way to see it is too die, and to be honest i rather not.
To be honest, you don't get a choice in the matter.
(April 1, 2015 at 7:33 pm)LiveDie1337 Wrote: i believe that people who believe in god are weak

they don't want to believe that once death occurs its forever you don't get to live in a magical place where everything you ever wanted is just there waiting for you
they don't want to believe death is the end, like we are some godly beings who can never truly die
if there is heaven and hell, the only way to see it is too die, and to be honest i rather not.

Yes and no.

Fearful of their finite reality, yes. Evolution drives us to continue, and death is a reminder of that. Our species mentally gap fills by projecting our evolutionary drive by projecting human like qualities on the world around us, thus the projection of gods.

But they can be quite sure of their beliefs and quite brave in defending their fictional sky heros as history constantly shows in religious wars and religious violence. 
I have to disagree with this one, I'm not weak, I'm just small.

Quote:they need something to believe in because reality is to hard for them
Just because people believe in something that you don't, it doesn't mean you cope better in life.

Quote:they don't want to believe that once death occurs its forever you don't get to live in a magical place where everything you ever wanted is just there waiting for you

Yes I believe in heaven and yes I don't believe death is the end. However I don't believe I some sort of god like being.

I just explained the psychology in evolutionary terms to you as why you believe.

That is merely you refusing to accept your FINITE existence. It is a misfire in our species.

You already, I hope, accept that bacteria don't have a god, or cockroaches either. None of nature needs our continuing to happen. We were not around 4 billion years ago and we will not be around 5 billion years from now.

Our existence is an outcome of nature, not a requirement or starting point.

No, that is not doomsday or fatalistic in the least. I am finite and a mere blip in nature, is no different than accepting that the seasons change.

I still find meaning and joy and have the same ups and downs in life. I simply don't assign any of this to a god or magic.
I know you explained in terms on evolution, but I don't believe in evolution. It doesn't explain what I believe or why I believe it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7912 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
Question Why disbelievers believe? They believe in so called “God of the gaps”. theBorg 49 8517 August 27, 2016 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: bennyboy