Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The two party duopoly
The two party duopoly
I see a lot of posts on this site (in the politics section) that basically regurgitate DNC talking points, but nothing on the really pertinent issues that threaten our quality of life in this country (like the proposed fast track legislation for TPP). A little birdie once told me, when our political system is gearing up to really screw us over, you'll see all sorts of diversion issues popping up. The usual suspects, gays, guns, religion, or abortion (or some combination thereof).

So Indiana passes a redneck (so called) religious freedom law, and I'm supposed to drop everything and give a crap about this baloney (which will likely be overturned the minute it hits a federal courtroom), while congress is preparing to screw over millions of American workers, through its proposed Trans Pacific Partnership legislation?

I've decided that there's only one cure for our problems in this country, get rid of democrats and republicans. As a leftist I don't consider the DNC to be part of the genuine left in this country. They fake left wing, which gives the appearance of political division, but in truth the modern DNC is just as sinister as the GOP (just in different ways).

So after three years of activism, probono civil rights legal work, and all the rest, I've decided that the only thing which makes sense, is working to elect third party candidates. Everything else is window dressing, an utter waste of time (and worse, the longer we allow two party/duopoly rule, the worse it will get for us, and the harder it will be to reverse the damage).

Thoughts?
RE: The two party duopoly
GREEN = Get Republicans Elected Every November
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(April 4, 2015 at 3:24 pm)francismjenkins Wrote: I see a lot of posts on this site (in the politics section) that basically regurgitate DNC talking points, but nothing on the really pertinent issues that threaten our quality of life in this country (like the proposed fast track legislation for TPP). A little birdie once told me, when our political system is gearing up to really screw us over, you'll see all sorts of diversion issues popping up. The usual suspects, gays, guns, religion, or abortion (or some combination thereof).

So Indiana passes a redneck (so called) religious freedom law, and I'm supposed to drop everything and give a crap about this baloney (which will likely be overturned the minute it hits a federal courtroom), while congress is preparing to screw over millions of American workers, through its proposed Trans Pacific Partnership legislation?

I've decided that there's only one cure for our problems in this country, get rid of democrats and republicans. As a leftist I don't consider the DNC to be part of the genuine left in this country. They fake left wing, which gives the appearance of political division, but in truth the modern DNC is just as sinister as the GOP (just in different ways).

So after three years of activism, probono civil rights legal work, and all the rest, I've decided that the only thing which makes sense, is working to elect third party candidates. Everything else is window dressing, an utter waste of time (and worse, the longer we allow two party/duopoly rule, the worse it will get for us, and the harder it will be to reverse the damage).

Thoughts?

No one party is causing this and one class the 1% is causing this. The GOP is the problem. PERIOD!
The dems could try to be more of a solution, though.
I think the dems are (in some ways) just as bad as the GOP. There was a time when the dems could be characterized as Keynesian social democrats, but those days are long gone (Clinton, so called "third way" democrats embrace neoliberalism at least as much as republicans). The only difference is, republicans drop the pretenses, so they can ruin this country faster than democrats. 

At this point I think it may even be better to see a solid GOP victory. I think the country needs more abuse before it will wake up. 
India has more than two parties and still has way more poverty than America. The issue isn't more choices, the issue is is either party effective? No, but it isn't the ideas of the dems, it is that dems are too empathetic with the idea of cooperation which the GOP blackmails them with which causes them to be pulled to the center and right.

Dems voter apathy in midterms also does not help. But our social pluralism and valuing livable wages are the right ideas. I am sick of this attitude that both parties are the same. You can only argue that dems politicians are not effective because they are dealing with a obstructionist party who values one class. The GOP basically takes advantage of us and we let them do that to us.

Democrats are on the right side of history economically and socially, in idea only. But we do most certainly suck at being effective and suck at voter turnout. If we got our act together, and thought daily and long term and planned like the GOP and stood up to them, we would get things done.
I don't think the Democrats are near as bad as the Republicans, but I do think the two party system absolutely has to go. We keep propping up bad politicians to prevent even worse politicians from taking power. Combine the billionaire influence and all of the money corrupting the process and the whole thing becomes a farce.

The true problem is than any real change falls into the category of idealism given the concentration of power lies with the people who like the system just as it is. Because of all these issues and the insignificance of my one vote, I've become extremely apathetic to voting, but somehow, every year, the GOP manages to pull someone out of their ass that frightens me enough to vote for a Democrat.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(April 17, 2015 at 10:47 am)Faith No More Wrote: I don't think the Democrats are near as bad as the Republicans, but I do think the two party system absolutely has to go.  We keep propping up bad politicians to prevent even worse politicians from taking power.  Combine the billionaire influence and all of the money corrupting the process and the whole thing becomes a farce.

The true problem is than any real change falls into the category of idealism given the concentration of power lies with the people who like the system just as it is.  Because of all these issues and the insignificance of my one vote, I've become extremely apathetic to voting, but somehow, every year, the GOP manages to pull someone out of their ass that frightens me enough to vote for a Democrat.

More choices doesn't mean a system cannot be gamed or that the system will be more effective. Again, India has tons of political parties, and still has way more poverty than we do.

The problem is not our system, outside Citizen's United, and say lack of term limits for all of congress. But more parties has nothing to do with will that alone fix things, and the answer is no. 

Effectiveness is what matters, and even if you add more parties you still have to have something effective in the end. 

More choices vs less choices is a dodge. Anti monopoly enforcement and economic stability are what matter.
No worries dude, I won't lose any sleep over the fact that you're "sick of this attitude that both parties are the same" (although I don't think they're "the same" per se, just equally revolting and equally corrupt)  Tongue

And why harp on the politics of India (a completely different culture, different history, different everything)? How is that relevant here? 
(April 17, 2015 at 10:58 am)francismjenkins Wrote: No worries dude, I won't lose any sleep over the fact that you're "sick of this attitude that both parties are the same" (although I don't think they're "the same" per se, just equally revolting and equally corrupt)  Tongue

And why harp on the politics of India (a completely different culture, different history, different everything)? How is that relevant here? 

Why harp on India? Pick any country with more poverty and I would still say the same thing. The point is I hate labels and isms, we ultimately are the same species, our political labels, religions and even business models are nothing more than excuses to make groups and set  up social pecking orders.

We may think the poverty elsewhere in the world does not affect us, but rich and poor, friend and fo alike all still live on the same rock. India's poverty should matter to the world as much as Afghanistan or South America or Africa. 

If you have not, I'd google Sagan's Pale Blue Dot speech, and listen to it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two things I want to talk about, politics wise ShinyCrystals 39 2437 September 23, 2023 at 6:39 am
Last Post: no one
  Big Two G2 USA and China Interaktive 19 1316 May 17, 2021 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Republican Party Purge Foxaèr 11 756 April 15, 2021 at 11:27 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Republican Representative compares his party's fight to Imperial Japanese Soldiers Rev. Rye 2 285 November 24, 2020 at 10:12 pm
Last Post: brewer
  UK general election - right wing Conservative party wins large majority Duty 30 1517 December 16, 2019 at 6:12 am
Last Post: Duty
  Two Old Pros - Doing Their Thing Minimalist 8 1049 November 28, 2018 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Iowa Republican Party platform. Jehanne 14 1447 August 20, 2018 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Refusing service because of political party. brewer 212 31276 July 11, 2018 at 3:18 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The Green Party, Huh? Minimalist 0 354 March 17, 2018 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Two minutes to midnight Jackalope 2 563 January 26, 2018 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Jackalope