Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Makes Conspiracy Theories Popular?
What Makes Conspiracy Theories Popular?
 A close friend expressed annoyance to me a couple days ago because some of her relatives are posting that the shooting in SC of a fleeing black man was somehow faked. When I asked her what they thought that the  dead man and the charged cop would gain by faking the murder, she said she didn't know. It confounded her that her relatives could somehow find a conspiracy in the video.

There are people who believe that the massacre in Sandy Hook was faked so I wonder if there is going to be a new round of crazy people believing the SC killing was faked? Luckily, I can't find anything online so hopefully the opinion of my friend's relatives won't spread.

What makes certain conspiracy theories gain popularity? Is there a reason that some conspiracies gain more of a following than others?

I went to a Christmas party and was waylaid by a woman who proceeded to explain to me that biblical numerology  predicted that Obama was the antiChrist. Because she took me off guard, I ended up not knowing how to politely leave the situation but it was somehow weirdly fascinating. Some people at my husband's work have tried to talk to him about 9-11 being an inside job. They aren't exactly arguing with him but seem to think that he is hiding his head in the sand because he doesn't accept their views. 
RE: What Makes Conspiracy Theories Popular?
Because it gives people adrenaline. I've always wondered who came up with the "jews run the world" thing. If you go to google and search for anti-jew videos/sites you'll find individuals who never in their life identified as jews being labelled as evil jews - In this case I think it's a tool for supremacists to excuse their dominance because jews are destroying the white race.

I also think that some theories, while not proven may make some sense "logically" - What I mean is, they're not impossible to be true - For instance, the theory that the world wars were set up by world leaders to change mentalities, political systems and balance the demographics or number of people in the world is not proven true but it's not impossible to happen and it's certainly not devoid of logic.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Maybe some peope just don't want to accept that someone was in the wrong so they will be more willing to accept conspiracy theories. For example if someone thought police officers were doing a great job, without mistakes, they maybe more willing to believe it was a set up, rather than admit the police aren't always correct.

Ego.

Conspiracy theorists believe they're special; that they know the truth, while everyone else is living a lie. They believe they managed to discern truth from fiction based on evidence that was hidden so that nobody could find it... except them, of course. They believe we're all being fooled by "Them" (every conspiracy theory has to have a bad guy named "Them" or "They" - the ones who don't want the truth to come out for some obviously nefarious purpose), and that "They" own (or are working their way toward owning) the world, and only the ones who know the truth can fight back. "They" have eyes and ears everywhere, but "They" can be defeated if the conspiracy theorists band together, because a handful of conspiracy theorists are more powerful than "Them".

In short, it's a power fantasy that little children have. Like playing video games where you get to be the hero that saves the world - the chosen one - only IRL. Nobody cares either way, though.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?

[Image: LB_Header_Idea_A.jpg]
Fear is the great motivator, and some people fear a giant untouchable organization that can come and swoop you away at any time. They're going to take your guns, brainwash your children, and kill you off when you reach a specified age.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(April 10, 2015 at 7:57 am)One Above All Wrote: Ego.

Conspiracy theorists believe they're special; that they know the truth, while everyone else is living a lie. They believe they managed to discern truth from fiction based on evidence that was hidden so that nobody could find it... except them, of course. They believe we're all being fooled by "Them" (every conspiracy theory has to have a bad guy named "Them" or "They" - the ones who don't want the truth to come out for some obviously nefarious purpose), and that "They" own (or are working their way toward owning) the world, and only the ones who know the truth can fight back. "They" have eyes and ears everywhere, but "They" can be defeated if the conspiracy theorists band together, because a handful of conspiracy theorists are more powerful than "Them".

In short, it's a power fantasy that little children have. Like playing video games where you get to be the hero that saves the world - the chosen one - only IRL. Nobody cares either way, though.

Exactly, although I'd be more generous and say that it is simply very disconcerting to some people that the world seems to be chaotic and uncontrollable, and believing that it is, after all, a planned conspiracy, is somehow reassuring. Of course this feeds directly into the ego, because the conspiracy theorist has secret knowledge of the conspiracy which provides personal identity.

That's why I believe that deep down, the conspiracy theorist has no real interest in convincing everyone that the conspiracy is true, for this would negate the source of his or her identity. Being a part of an elite and a martyr is an important part of the appeal.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

People are stupid. They don't properly comprehend the extent to which information is accessible. It is almost impossible to keep any large secrets in todays world of phone calls, texts, television and internet. They never actually analyse the situation properly, the motivations for the conspiracy (if they come up with any) are often not thought out or researched in any way. Conspiracies don't exist, at least, the ones that are so often paraded around don't.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(April 10, 2015 at 8:28 am)Bad Wolf Wrote: Conspiracies don't exist

I think we can safely say that 9/11 was a conspiracy.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I gotta say, it's hilarious watching fundies go up against the tinfoil hat brigade on youtube. Two opposing sides, each possessing infinite reserves of lunacy...brings a tear to my eye, it does...
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
9/11 is probably the most popular outspoken conspiracy theory (i.e. Bush combined the attacks with the arabs)

I also enjoy the theories about dead musicians being alive - Can't say it wouldn't be awesome but I would be mad at them for having stopped producing great music - Elvis, Jim Morrison, MJ, John Lennon, etc. Oh and let's not forget that Paul McCartney is a doppelgänger and the real one is dead
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Religion of Peace makes the news again brewer 13 648 November 5, 2020 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  Democrats conspiracy theory exposed Agnostico 65 4518 May 25, 2020 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  QAnon, the crazy conspiracy theory some Trump supporters believe Aroura 22 2911 September 5, 2018 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: John V
  The death penalty makes no sense. Jehanne 213 15522 August 17, 2018 at 4:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Peter Fonda Makes Vulgar Tweet Suggesting That Barron Trump Be Kidnapped A Theist 184 17579 June 23, 2018 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  US Gun Violence Victims Harassed by Conspiracy Theorists Seraphina 15 2416 December 3, 2017 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  Bill O'Reilly makes a guest appearance on Fox News Foxaèr 2 885 September 27, 2017 at 10:59 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Makes Sense Minimalist 16 1955 September 21, 2016 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: RobertE
  Trump makes second veiled threat..... Brian37 30 3655 September 17, 2016 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  MH370 flaperon damage theories mralstoner 12 3609 August 1, 2015 at 8:37 am
Last Post: LostLocke