Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dad buys from Jim Bakker
Dad buys from Jim Bakker
My morbidly obese father has given up on life on earth because he's "saved" and nothing else matters. Well, nothing else besides "As seen on TV" stuff. He just bought a 3-pack of Seychelle brand water filter bottles that are "only available" through Jim Bakkers' website for $200. They're $15 each on Ebay for basically the exact same thing.

I asked why he bought them and he said "They alkalize the water and remove radiological contaminants", to which I respond "Lemons alkalize your water, there's not much science behind alkalized water being better for you, and radiological? Seriously?

He thinks through the grace of God that he'll be able to lose weight. Meanwhile he eats mayonnaise like it's his job and consumes at least 3x the calories that I do.

Side-note, these are good for 100 gallons each, then you need to spend $40 on a new proprietary replacement filter "only" available through their website. Meanwhile, for example, the Sawyer mini filter is roughly $15 and filters 100,000 gallons and has received thousands of accolades.

I could go on. This is my first post here BTW. I'm partly posting to vent and partly for some insight on rhetoric he might actually listen to?
RE: Dad buys from Jim Bakker
(April 12, 2015 at 3:30 am)justinb6003 Wrote: My morbidly obese father has given up on life on earth because he's "saved" and nothing else matters. Well, nothing else besides "As seen on TV" stuff. He just bought a 3-pack of Seychelle brand water filter bottles that are "only available" through Jim Bakkers' website for $200. They're $15 each on Ebay for basically the exact same thing.

I asked why he bought them and he said "They alkalize the water and remove radiological contaminants", to which I respond "Lemons alkalize your water, there's not much science behind alkalized water being better for you, and radiological? Seriously?

He thinks through the grace of God that he'll be able to lose weight. Meanwhile he eats mayonnaise like it's his job and consumes at least 3x the calories that I do.

Side-note, these are good for 100 gallons each, then you need to spend $40 on a new proprietary replacement filter "only" available through their website. Meanwhile, for example, the Sawyer mini filter is roughly $15 and filters 100,000 gallons and has received thousands of accolades.

I could go on. This is my first post here BTW. I'm partly posting to vent and partly for some insight on rhetoric he might actually listen to?

We've all brought shit off t'internet on a whim. I know I have. 

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Hey there welcome to the forum Smile

Oh dear, sorry to hear about your dad. It's hard to know what to say.

One go-to argument is to ask why God never heals amputees. The answer is that God never does anything that can't happen anyway, in other words he's just getting credited by default.

This video may be helpful:

http://youtu.be/OsiCdMaKCYE
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I fucking hate these cons. It is one thing if a doctor tells you the only thing they can do is delay death with treatment, but this crap shortens the ride. If one wants to skip treatment for valid reasons such as causing more pain that is one thing. But it makes me sick to think someone would sell crap like this preying off the pain of others.
I have had Christian friends advise me to trust a  business because the owner is Christian. It worries me because religion leaves my friends vulnerable to con artists who  use religion to hide  deception.

If your dad is morbidly obese, he might have tried a number of weight loss strategies and feels desperate enough to try anything. Breaking old habits can be difficult especially when it takes so long to see any results. Maybe you could suggest that your dad start going for walks with you or that the two of you could give up something unhealthy like sodas. If you frame it as if you are the one wanting to lead a more healthy life then he might not feel pressured.  He won't see drastic results but if he feels like he is helping you then maybe he will stick with the changes. Overtime you can help him build on those small changes and he will eventually see some weight loss.
Hi Justin, the price from Bakker for the filter supports his program and everyone knows that.
I don't know about the alkalizing bit, but going that direction is a good idea.
A lot of talk is around about an acidic body linked to diseases.

I do not agree with Bakkers' view on end times but the idea of having dried / long term
food on hand for emergencies is another good idea.
If I was given nothing but mayo to eat, I'd friggen starve to death!

...Bleh! Sad
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Hey prof! I've for this bridge in Brooklyn you should buy. You'll never know when 'god " wants you to cross a river.
I've also got a beach front condo in Wyoming for super cheap!!!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My dad is proud of a lie Der/die AtheistIn 17 3410 February 19, 2018 at 2:16 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  how to respond to dad's "shabbat shalom"? dreamsofpotato 21 8118 February 18, 2015 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Help! Discussion with Christian dad jluebs 13 2558 April 26, 2014 at 6:23 pm
Last Post: Aisha
  Why I Won't "Come Out" to Dad HappyHumanist 20 5000 August 2, 2012 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: finalyawake
  My dad hates me/is kicking me out DraxQuin 21 6642 August 30, 2011 at 11:31 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Dad links son's suicide to 'The God Delusion' leo-rcc 227 142042 September 1, 2009 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Amphora