Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you argue with religious people?
Do you argue with religious people?
I'm wondering how you go about talking with others who are religious, when they bring up Jesus in a discussion, or whether you just let whatever fly. If you do argue, what is your approach, and do you regularly end up making the other person want to fight about it, or upset them to the point where they don't want to talk with you anymore.
RE: Do you argue with religious people?
If it's some random numpty coming up to me, I just say I'm not interested. To be honest, that's pretty much all I've ever had. It's not come up otherwise, as almost everyone I have known is either atheist or weak sauce Christian to the point where it makes no difference.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 15, 2015 at 6:10 am)TruthWorthy Wrote: [...] or upset them to the point where they don't want to talk with you anymore.

That^^

I've had enough religious muppets force their idiotic beliefs on me when I was a child, with no means of defense. I'd be pretty happy if every last one of them knew, that mentioning god in my presence = someone's feelings getting a major a**-whooping. 

Hey - they're free to insult the lack of god(s) right back. Lack of god(s) is powerful enough not to be bothered by what brainwashed apes think of it...
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
I sing in a mostly catholic choir, and I don't bother arguing religion there. We've had discussions over beer with somewhat theist friends. The only real serious discussions about religion I had in the US. For example when the youth pastor of the local church asked me what my beliefs were Tongue After I had finished he said, well at least you're pretty transparent in what you believe. I guess he didn't expect a detailed answer.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I will if they want to. I don't initiate it but I won't back down from it.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Last time JWs dropped by I just told them they were free to leave.

One of them started to say something, and I interrupted with "Now!"

And that was the end of that.

I would engage some LDS missionaries at this point. I see them in town quite a bit, but I can't say they've ever been this far out in the country.

I was talking to a Christer many years ago at the public library meeting regarding Madonna's racy photo book, and as soon as he found I had recently been to a couple of MCC services, he wanted to go out for coffee.

Too bad he wasn't my 'type' . . .

(unmarried)
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(April 15, 2015 at 6:10 am)TruthWorthy Wrote: I'm wondering how you go about talking with others who are religious, when they bring up Jesus in a discussion, or whether you just let whatever fly. If you do argue, what is your approach, and do you regularly end up making the other person want to fight about it, or upset them to the point where they don't want to talk with you anymore.

Well, since brass knuckles and pepper spray would be cruel, the main reason we should confront theism verbally only, is to mainly keep religion off a pedestal. Human rights are a given, but ideas by themselves do not deserve to be challenge free. The right to make a claim is still a separate issue than the ability to demonstrate the credibility of the claim.

I personally don't get into it with theists to convert that individual on the spot. I do it more of a display for other atheists to see arguments and give them confidence in their own voice. I also do do it simply as an act of maintaining a long term society where taboos are not set up by any religious label. 

If our species never questioned social norms our species never would have left the caves. I think it is more important to challenge ideas long term than it is to think you can convince some individual on the spot. 
Generally I don't bother because it doesn't go anywhere and for some strange reason everyone thinks you're the asshole for pointing out how stupid it is that a grown adult believes fairy tales are real.
(April 15, 2015 at 9:34 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Last time JWs dropped by I just told them they were free to leave.

One of them started to say something, and I interrupted with "Now!"

And that was the end of that.

I would engage some LDS missionaries at this point.  I see them in town quite a bit, but I can't say they've ever been this far out in the country.

I was talking to a Christer many years ago at the public library meeting regarding Madonna's racy photo book, and as soon as he found I had recently been to a couple of MCC services, he wanted to go out for coffee.

Too bad he wasn't my 'type' . . .

(unmarried)

MCC services?
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
It's varied a great deal over my lifetime. 

When I first came out atheist, I had numerous discussions with my parents and pastor.  My pastor threw in the towel pretty early.  Discussions with him hardened my lack of belief more than anything else and I think he knew it.  He also made the mistake of recommending I read The Bible, which I did. That led to some very interesting discussions which I think troubled him. 

My parents' primary weapon was being hurt and disappointed. As arguments go, that was irrational but rather affective--at least it caused me to try to believe. . .

In college I had the argument with numerous other students.  The results were mixed.  But there weren't too many hurt feelings.

As an adult, I don't find myself discussing god a whole bunch.  In a devilish mood, I'll take on the evangelizors at the doorstep, but otherwise I don't find much need to engage about god. I let most god comments pass unchallenged unless pushed with a real question like where do you go to church, or  god . . . don't you agree?   Mostly just stating that I don't believe in god brings the conversation to a halt.  When it doesn't, the argument is usually, no, but really. . .  As long as I've known the person for over a year or so, it doesn't seem to change much.

I do have a good friend who believes in a personal god, but not any of the named ones.  We have circular conversations in which she agrees in principle about correlation and causation not being the same, and the inefficacy of anecdotal evidence.  Then she presents anecdotal evidence and not very astonishing coincidences.  But it never becomes a fight.  
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1950 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Atheists Who Argue Against Generalizing Ghetto Sheldon 33 2901 October 5, 2021 at 8:47 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  How to argue using bullshit abstract terms I_am_not_mafia 23 6065 March 20, 2018 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  I like to treat religious people nice. Jeezypete 27 4354 February 6, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Any other atheists just feel an acute intolerance for religious people? WisdomOfTheTrees 93 14355 February 10, 2017 at 3:35 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The reason why religious people think we eat babies rado84 59 6722 December 3, 2016 at 2:13 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Your experiences dating religious people Casca 28 4435 October 31, 2016 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Has anyone discovered a successful way to make religious people atheist? Phosphorescent Panties 83 14317 April 12, 2016 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  What you see when you win a religious debate... x3 IanHulett 15 5181 October 20, 2015 at 7:45 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Religious bumper stickers and other annoying religious actions. (rant, sorta) DIRTY_DEEDS_93 53 12773 May 25, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Cephus