Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from Ireland!
Hello from Ireland!
Hi, everyone Smile I decided to join this forum as I am a non-theist and am passionate about the immense wonder and awe provided by a scientific view of life. I hope that I can join in discussions with other like-minded people who also recognise the beauty of a true understanding of the world and hopefully learn some new things along the way. My views would rank a 6 on Dawkins's 7-point scale so, in short, I don't ascribe life to any of the gods of the world religions and I don't believe in a higher power due to a lack of any evidence to suggest the existence of one. While of course we cannot definitively know that there is no god, I don't believe it makes rational sense to live your life under the assumption that there is when there is no basis for this view. Besides that, I also believe that the sheer wonder provided by understanding science is far more awe-inspiring and humbling and truly makes me marvel at how much of a crazy happenstance my existence and the existence of everyone I love is. I am a fan of Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, and Lawrence Krauss, amongst many others, and largely owe my outlook to their work. Glad to be here! Big Grin
"The chances of each of us coming into existence are infinitesimally small, and even though we shall all die some day, we should count ourselves fantastically lucky to get our decades in the sun." - Richard Dawkins

RE: Hello from Ireland!
Isn't Ireland the land of blasphemy laws?  I thought the Irish just sat around praising jesus and singing "Kumbaya"?
Welcome, but you may see quite a few Irish lawbreakers on here! Big Grin
Find the cure for Fundementia!
Heya Zebra, nice to meet you Smile

You're right, once you abandon the simplistic non-answer of God (or never accept it in the first place) the universe is an astonishing and wonderful place. I wish I could fly around everywhere and view it all rather than being glued to this little speck of dust! But it's amazing how much science has been able to find out about the universe around us.

It sounds like you'll fit in just fine around here!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Hello!
So... are you a catholic atheist, or a protestant atheist?

OOPs, wrong Ireland! Tongue
Welcome from Portugal!
Welcome!
Hi Zebra!

..wow, never said that before
Greetings Zebra!  Do polar bears eat zebra's?  Oh wait wrong part of the world...you are safe  Big Grin
Welcome Zebra Smile
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
The women always get annoyed when I grab zebra.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hi from Ireland racingboo 16 1414 October 7, 2016 at 8:01 am
Last Post: robvalue
  New user from Ireland rozle27 18 6761 November 3, 2012 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Hi from Dublin, Ireland aine60 22 3896 November 27, 2011 at 3:36 am
Last Post: aine60
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 5990 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm