Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist Bus Ads: Not In My BackYard?
Atheist Bus Ads: Not In My BackYard?
This came across the local paper today:

Atheists Sue Lackawanna County Transit System Over Refusal to Run Ad

The cliff-notes version:

- Scranton, PA (home of the US version of The Office!) is the 6th-biggest city in PA, with a population of about 75,000.
- Lackawanna County, where Scranton is located, has a public transit service that has run Christian (and even, according to the lawsuit, fringy, Holocaust-denial-type religious) ads on the sides of its busses.
- The local Freethinkers Group, led by a fellow named Justin Vacula (more on this in a bit), wanted to run ads on the sides of the buses too, but all ads including the word "atheist" were turned down because 1) they could offend the Transit Authority's riders and 2) they could hurt the Transit Authority's business.
- About 2 years ago, the Transit Authority decided, rather than run the "atheist ads," to forbid all "religious advertising."

I know this is nothing new, but the fact that it's happening in my back yard (I live in Wilkes-Barre, in Luzerne County, which is adjacent to Lackawanna; indeed, Scranton-Wilkes-Barre is sort of one big metro area) is interesting.

Now, this Justin Vacula fellow seems to be the self-appointed leader of the Freethought Group or whatnot around here. From what I can gather about him via google and such, he's very active in trying to ensure that non- (and anti-) religious viewpoints are given proper treatment.  Also, from what I can gather, he's pretty full of himself, misogynistic, and just an all-around-not-nice person.  Meh, I've never met the guy or really read any of his stuff, so I can't really comment, but I get a negative impression of him from writings within the atheist blogosphere.

At any rate... the ridiculous, inane comments on the article are worth a read.  There are actually a couple people representing the pro-advertisement position quite effectively, I think, but there's also the assortment of crazies one is always wont to find commenting on such a piece.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
RE: Atheist Bus Ads: Not In My BackYard?
RationalPoet.........If they won't put adds for atheists certainly these morons should not object to Jefferson, who was a deist who said atheists are capable of morality, "Whence arises the morality of the atheist? It is idle to say as some do, that no such thing exists." Thomas Jefferson.
That was 10 entertaining minutes spent on the magical journey to the heart of a comment flame war that I'll never get back

IMO all ads are obnoxious, but it's either all of them or none of them
Just, why would you put ads on buses?
(April 29, 2015 at 10:13 am)Neimenovic Wrote: Just, why would you put ads on buses?

Bus banners are almost the perfect inexpensive means of advertising. If you're near the bus, they're almost impossible to ignore and eliminate from your field of vision. I also imagine that the number of people encountered along its route would be higher than stationary advertising.
(April 29, 2015 at 9:48 am)TRJF Wrote: - The local Freethinkers Group, led by a fellow named Justin Vacula (more on this in a bit), wanted to run ads on the sides of the buses too, but all ads including the word "atheist" were turned down because 1) they could offend the Transit Authority's riders and 2) they could hurt the Transit Authority's business.
- About 2 years ago, the Transit Authority decided, rather than run the "atheist ads," to forbid all "religious advertising."

Seems reasonable. The TA is likely operating at a big deficit already, and can't afford to offend paying customers. As long as they also deny religious ads, what's the problem?
I'd say the best of all outcomes has already been achieved, no? Churches and religious groups now cannot advertise because of the policy change, and now the government is a step removed from religion.

Buy a park bench or a billboard. You made your point.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(April 29, 2015 at 3:32 pm)alpha male Wrote:
(April 29, 2015 at 9:48 am)TRJF Wrote: - The local Freethinkers Group, led by a fellow named Justin Vacula (more on this in a bit), wanted to run ads on the sides of the buses too, but all ads including the word "atheist" were turned down because 1) they could offend the Transit Authority's riders and 2) they could hurt the Transit Authority's business.

Seems reasonable. The TA is likely operating at a big deficit already, and can't afford to offend paying customers. As long as they also deny religious ads, what's the problem?

Take another look at the opening post.  And pay attention to this part:

(April 29, 2015 at 9:48 am)TRJF Wrote: ...
- Lackawanna County, where Scranton is located, has a public transit service that has run Christian (and even, according to the lawsuit, fringy, Holocaust-denial-type religious) ads on the sides of its busses.

And then this part:

(April 29, 2015 at 9:48 am)TRJF Wrote: ...
- About 2 years ago, the Transit Authority decided, rather than run the "atheist ads," to forbid all "religious advertising."

In other words, the change of policy was because they did not want to run the atheist ads.  So they are actively wanting to prevent atheist messages, rather than having had a policy of having no ads about religion.

They are not treating the atheist group the same as they have treated religious groups.  They had no problem with running religious ads for years, and only now want to discontinue the practice because they don't want atheist advertising.  So they are discriminating against atheists.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
I agree. They are treating atheist messages differently. But public response is a thing they have to deal with. Just like the advertising company has to cater to the person who owns the property his sign is on, the bus system relies on the passengers that would get on the bus. If they can prove that putting the atheist message with that word on it would affect their bottom line (and I don't think it would be hard to do so) then they shouldn't be compelled to accept the advertising contract.

But this is still a positive outcome. Now religious institutions cannot use government property to do their advertising.

Now, knowing what I know about Vacula, this likely wasn't a "Don't believe in God? Neither do we! Join the NEPA Freethought Society!" (Notice how easily I came up with an advertising campaign that didn't include the word "atheist?"). They weren't denying the group outright, they were just not allowing the word "atheist" to protect their bottom line, which I do think would be affected by that word.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(April 29, 2015 at 4:22 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: In other words, the change of policy was because they did not want to run the atheist ads.  So they are actively wanting to prevent atheist messages, rather than having had a policy of having no ads about religion.

They are not treating the atheist group the same as they have treated religious groups.  They had no problem with running religious ads for years, and only now want to discontinue the practice because they don't want atheist advertising.  So they are discriminating against atheists.

Yes, and as I said - and as the article said - it's for business purposes. If they believe that they'll lose riders due to the ads, and that lost revenue will exceed the ad revenue, then they need to ban the ads. They also banned religious ads. Makes sense to me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  They’re All Fucking Short-Bus People brewer 20 1293 May 21, 2021 at 11:07 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Trump Train runs Biden Bus out of Texas! WinterHold 18 1319 November 2, 2020 at 9:58 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Bus Driver who raped 14-year old gets no Jail TIme Divinity 4 556 April 30, 2019 at 11:18 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  What is the effect of political ads, particularly negative ones? Angrboda 12 664 September 28, 2018 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  This space for rent: NASA considers ads on spacecraft - good or bad? Angrboda 16 612 September 13, 2018 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Self-driving shuttle bus in crash on first day. Succubus 13 1518 November 11, 2017 at 2:29 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Muslims protect Christians from extremists in Kenya bus attack Fake Messiah 1 754 December 28, 2015 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Prison Bus Crash AZ brewer 7 2150 August 11, 2015 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: AFTT47