Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:50 am

Poll: Should NASA engage in commercial advertisement to recoup costs?
This poll is closed.
Yes. There's nothing wrong with doing so.
16.67%
1 16.67%
Absolutely. This is a good thing!
16.67%
1 16.67%
No. It's not in keeping with the NASA tradition.
16.67%
1 16.67%
Absolutely not! This is a sign of the impending apocalypse.
33.33%
2 33.33%
I don't think it's either good or bad.
16.67%
1 16.67%
Other (specify).
0%
0 0%
To infinity and beyond!
0%
0 0%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This space for rent: NASA considers ads on spacecraft - good or bad?
This space for rent: NASA considers ads on spacecraft - good or bad?
Why NASA’s next rockets might say Budweiser on the side

Quote:The constant creep of corporate America into all aspects of everyday life — from the Allstate Sugar Bowl to Minute Maid Park — may soon conquer a new frontier.

The final frontier.

NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine has directed the space agency to look at boosting its brand by selling naming rights to rockets and spacecraft and allowing its astronauts to appear in commercials and on cereal boxes, as if they were celebrity athletes.

While officials stress that nothing has been decided, the idea could mark a giant cultural leap for the taxpayer-funded government agency and could run into ethics regulations that prevent government officials from using public office for private gain. Astronauts may be the most venerated employees in the federal government, but they are still civil servants bound by regulations.

What do you think?  Should NASA go where no space agency has gone before?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
RE: This space for rent: NASA considers ads on spacecraft - good or bad?
If it gets them more money to work with for projects, then all the power to them. I’ve always wondered however, just how many more bags of Doritos you have to sell in order to justify the cost of a Super Bowl advertisement? I might appreciate a well made Budweiser ad, but it doesn’t make me any more likely to buy that swill. I would probably wonder the same about an enterprise such as this.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
Good or bad..depends.  I think I could die happy seeing a trojan add on the side of a delta iv heavy. Right up on the tip of the fairings.
(but just the tip)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Currently imagining Durex paying to have the fairing of a rocket painted like a ribbed condom ...
Meh, NASCAR has done that for decades, fake news!

Oh, wait, you didn't say NASCAR, did you...
(September 12, 2018 at 11:12 am)Mathilda Wrote: Currently imagining Durex paying to have the fairing of a rocket painted like a ribbed condom ...

"Proud to sponsor this historic mission to uranus"
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I think in microcosm, it appears to be an expedient way for National ASA to get closer to the next potentially worthy goal.

In the macrocosm, it represents another worrisome diminution of the concept that there can be larger and longer term public good greater in overall value to the society than the sum of the value of successful profit seeking by private cooperations and individuals. This is because it further weakens the practical mechanism (public funding) that enable such greater public good to be effectively pursued in defiance of private individual and cooperations’s desire to withhold as much resource as possible from the public good in order to devote it to pursuit of private profit.
(September 12, 2018 at 11:33 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: I think in microcosm, it appears to be an expedient way for National ASA to get closer to the next potentially worthy goal.

In the macrocosm, it represents another worrisome diminution of the concept that there can be larger and longer term public good greater in overall value to the society than the sum of the value of successful profit seeking by private cooperations and individuals.   This is because it further weakens the practical mechanism (public funding) that enable such greater public good to be effectively pursued in defiance of private individual and cooperations’s desire to withhold as much resource as possible from the public good in order to devote it to pursuit of private profit.

This reminds me of a recent article I read about atheists and charity (here). The ultimate point of the article was that atheists (and liberals) tend to prefer to give back to society through the compulsory mechanism of taxation. To that end, perhaps this does represent a worrisome step away from compulsory funding of scientific ventures such as space exploration and a step towards privatization. I'm not sure though that I can agree that this is necessarily a bad thing. At minimum, you'd have to establish why it is bad, rather than simply assert that the alternative, public funding of NASA, is in and of itself good (or better). The typical arguments against private or commercial funding here do not all seem to work. I could see the possibility that sponsored missions receive priority over unsponsored missions, but it's a questionable assumption that such would occur. Maybe it can't help but happen. Other complaints about commercialization and privatization, such as decreased efficiencies, higher costs, and increased fraud and corruption seem unlikely. Those are the typical arguments against deriving funding from non-government sources, and I don't see them as applying here.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
[Image: commercial-shuttle.jpg]

Fucking stupid idea.
(September 12, 2018 at 11:32 am)Khemikal Wrote:
(September 12, 2018 at 11:12 am)Mathilda Wrote: Currently imagining Durex paying to have the fairing of a rocket painted like a ribbed condom ...

"Proud to sponsor this historic mission to uranus"

Of course when the fairing detaches it would look like the condom is splitting ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are executions making the US look bad? Jehanne 33 1635 May 18, 2022 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  How bad is our economy? (US) Foxaèr 28 1401 March 15, 2022 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The latest billionaire space circle jerk. Brian37 38 2367 September 28, 2021 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Thumbs Up Bad idea CDC onlinebiker 30 2202 May 15, 2021 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  If you wonder how bad Detroit hospitals really are? onlinebiker 11 593 October 9, 2020 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Cancel Rent Movement onlinebiker 34 2520 September 3, 2020 at 7:02 am
Last Post: CarveTheFive
  POTUS having a really bad day today. Brian37 20 2669 November 20, 2019 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Atomic Lava
  Supreme Court Considers Mandatory Govt Funding of Religious Education EgoDeath 8 760 September 24, 2019 at 10:37 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Parkland Rent a Cop Charged. onlinebiker 75 8216 June 11, 2019 at 8:35 am
  Good Cop/Bad Cop? Nope. All Good. BrianSoddingBoru4 43 3893 February 25, 2019 at 7:56 pm