Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist Reading Suggestions
Atheist Reading Suggestions
So I just got some books in the mail that I ordered last week. As most of you know (if you've read my posts) I am a recent deconvert. I decided that getting some reading material on the matter would be beneficial to me. So I would like suggestions on which one I should read first, or if I should follow a particular order. I bought the following:

"God is not Great", by Christopher Hitchens
"The God Delusion", by Richard Dawkins
"The Portable Atheist", by Christopher Hitchens

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
RE: Atheist Reading Suggestions
Hitchens is the more entertaining writer and I've only read the first two. I'd start with the Hitchens.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

The God Delusion is probably more like light entertainment in comparison
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I'd start with god is not Great, then Dawkins, then Portable Atheist.

god is not Great is one of my favorites, and Hitchens is a damned genius.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I love watching the debates with Hitchens on Youtube. He is definitely a genius.
I'm apparently the lone dissenter on these forums regarding Hitchens. I don't particularly care for his written work but really enjoy him as a speaker. But preference of authors is a very personal thing and not everyone will agree about who is better than whom.

As for book recs:

Victor Stenger for books about the intersection of science and God
Dawkins for books about evolution
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
Sagan's 'Broca's Brain'.  While not explicitly an atheist treatise, this collection of essays methodically and systematically dismantles the need for God as an explanatory hypothesis.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Daniel Dennett for Darwin's Dangerous Idea and Breaking The Spell
J. Anderson Thomson, Jr. for "why we believe in god(s)"

I was underwhelmed by 'The Portable Atheist'.

If you want to get angry, read "The Good News Club" by Katherine Stewart
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
My single favorite book regarding science and thought and gods is The Varieties of Scientific Experience by Carl Sagan. Simply epic, and captures the wonder of the cosmos as only Sagan can.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
The Changing World of Mormonism.

While specific to the fucking LDSers, it is nevertheless a great primer as to just how fucked up a religion can get in 100 years, let alone 2000.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horror movie suggestions BrokenQuill92 16 1527 December 7, 2021 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Road trip playlist - looking for suggestions Jackalope 20 1238 August 11, 2021 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Upon reading this title, what first comes to mind? Foxaèr 8 349 November 25, 2020 at 10:03 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  What are you reading/was the last thing you read? KevinM1 4 890 April 22, 2018 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  New username suggestions Foxaèr 33 3323 April 2, 2018 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Need suggestions for bathroom floor Aoi Magi 22 3975 August 21, 2017 at 7:01 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  AF Christmas Carol 2016-Lyric Suggestions Shell B 56 7170 December 8, 2016 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  What are you reading right now? Excited Penguin 4 1300 October 25, 2016 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Humping surrogate suggestions. brewer 31 3705 August 26, 2016 at 6:30 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  No Christmas this year, suggestions Kingpin 22 3558 November 18, 2015 at 2:26 am
Last Post: rexbeccarox