Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious "nones" now outnumber Catholics in US
Religious "nones" now outnumber Catholics in US
So we've heard a lot of contention regarding "new atheism" ... but by all accounts, it seems to be working just fine. The United States is becoming increasingly secular, and even better news, secular voters tend to be left of center.

"According to a new study by Pew Research, religiously unaffiliated adults now outnumber Catholics by two percent in the United States.

The study also found that the number of adults who describe themselves as Christians has dropped nearly eight percent over the past seven years."

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danthropolo...in-the-us/
RE: Religious "nones" now outnumber Catholics in US
This has been commented on in two different threads.

Yes, it's good news indeed. It's particularly important that the world's most powerful country is slowly but surely coming to its senses. Very encouraging. Maybe we'll be up to the European standard of sanity in 20 years or so. Now if we can only drag the Islamic countries into the enlightened age with us.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Sorry for being picky but I miss the part secular = atheist (I hate it when atheists do this)
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Quote: Now if we can only drag the Islamic countries into the enlightened age with us.

But now you are asking for the moon.
(May 13, 2015 at 9:45 pm)Dystopia Wrote: Sorry for being picky but I miss the part secular = atheist (I hate it when atheists do this)

The difference is only important in an academic argument. Secular people don't try to legislate who you can have sex with and in what orifice.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(May 13, 2015 at 9:45 pm)Dystopia Wrote: Sorry for being picky but I miss the part secular = atheist (I hate it when atheists do this)

Yes but secularism is desirable for atheists, because it is society without official religion. If you're trying to stamp out religion entirely, not only is it a waste of time but also it's not ethical.

I have absolutely no issue with secular Christians or Muslims. I may think your beliefs and practices are foolish, but if you're secular about it I think it's petty to come for you for no reason.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

And how many of the catholics could pass a minimal test of catholicism ? How many use birth control? How many have had abortions? How many think the pope is full of shit and only ID as catholic to appease hissy relatives? How many catholics were sexually abused by priests and still feel catholicism is The One True Faith ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Quote:And how many of the catholics could pass a minimal test of catholicism ?

Does that include identifying an altar boy's asshole?
By taste, smell or feel ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Surprise us. Hey, you're not a catholic priest are you?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do Catholics have most boring churches/ liturgy? Fake Messiah 55 8879 October 22, 2016 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Catholics are victims of marriage equality (apparently) piterski123 76 10800 July 5, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Catholics: Chocolate or Death! Metis 4 2386 February 16, 2015 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Metis
  Religious moderates enable religious extremists worldslaziestbusker 82 32915 October 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Optimistic Mysanthrope
  Just When You Think The Catholics Minimalist 24 6135 April 23, 2010 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: Thor
  Oh, No! The Catholics Minimalist 40 9789 September 12, 2009 at 8:19 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet