Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food is Art
Food is Art
I'm not sure how many other people on here enjoy good food, or cooking, or what not. But I really like it. And, quite frankly, properly preparing food is an art.

Regardless if you are a chef, good at making grilled cheese, or just enjoy a shitty big mac, please check out Chef's Table on Netflix.

There are 6 episodes that go over the history and aspirations of some of the top chefs over the entire the world. By top, I mean, the top. Massimo Battura is the owner and head chef of the 3rd best restaurant in the world. It is truly worth a gander if you are bored. They share some techniques and help you understand why food is so important to some people.

Thanks.
RE: Food is Art
I guess it is to some people. I appreciate people who have good cooking skill but it's pure tedium to me. My favorite invention of all time is the microwave oven. My ultimate wet dream is the replicator on Star Trek.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(May 26, 2015 at 1:30 am)AFTT47 Wrote: I guess it is to some people. I appreciate people who have good cooking skill but it's pure tedium to me. My favorite invention of all time is the microwave oven. My ultimate wet dream is the replicator on Star Trek.

If you're anything like me, you'll replicate junk food like a big mac!  Nom nom...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I find this offensive. I'm a Breatharian, and food is against my religion.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(May 26, 2015 at 1:52 am)Alex K Wrote: I find this offensive. I'm a Breatharian, and food is against my religion.

Well if that's the case, then "bless you". Tongue
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(May 25, 2015 at 10:05 pm)gubeym Wrote: I'm not sure how many other people on here enjoy good food, or cooking, or what not. But I really like it. And, quite frankly, properly preparing food is an art.

Regardless if you are a chef, good at making grilled cheese, or just enjoy a shitty big mac, please check out Chef's Table on Netflix.

There are 6 episodes that go over the history and aspirations of some of the top chefs over the entire the world. By top, I mean, the top. Massimo Battura is the owner and head chef of the 3rd best restaurant in the world. It is truly worth a gander if you are bored. They share some techniques and help you understand why food is so important to some people.

Thanks.

I think cooking can be an art. It is the only artwork I can think of where the better it is appreciated the more likely it is to be destroyed. Good food gets eaten.

Thanks for the Netflix suggestion. Once my family stops binge watching The Misfits on Hulu I will check out your suggestion
Cooking is definitely an art, but one where the science of it is very important as well (i.e. heating well enough). Chefs certainly do elevate their craft into a visual art form as well. All those expensive "fine dining" places that feel a need to assemble everything in a "pretty" sort of way. I actually find that less appetizing than a pulled pork sandwich at some chain (I dunno. Does Tony Roma's do pulled pork?).

Fascinating thread.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Just about anything can be elevated to an artform. As fundamental as food is to us, I don't see why it shouldn't be considered art. A combination of sight, smell, and taste that gives an experience beyond just satisfying your need to eat. We all know that the same dish can taste wildly different depending on how you make it.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Despite my lame attempt at humor above, I absolutely adore food and cooking, and I cook almost all of our food myself. I would like to grow as well, but as a city dweller, I have to rely on my parents and in-laws to provide home-grown stuff. There are plenty of farmers around, though.

However, I think the holy culinary truth is not to be found in fancy "art food" (which has its own justification, sure), but is actually very simple:

- take good fresh ingredients
- season them such that their characteristic flavor is not covered, but enhanced. In some recipes, taste
relies a lot on spices (e.g. curries). In that case use interesting spices and yet don't overdo it.
- cook, fry or keep it raw, again such that the characteristic flavor of the ingredients is enhanced.

For me, culinary heaven can consist of fried potato wedges, some hummus and yoghurt dip. Some sage lightly fried in butter. A piece of fresh fennel, if it's really fresh. If I can have that, I have no need for haute cuisine.
You can't do wrong.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I hate food and everything about it, but I guess it sometimes looks nice

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Art in the Home FrustratedFool 17 1297 October 25, 2023 at 6:59 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  "Impossible" Art LinuxGal 12 1237 September 9, 2023 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Is art deranged? MarcusA 29 2158 September 3, 2023 at 7:34 am
  What is Art? MarcusA 15 1076 September 3, 2023 at 2:17 am
Last Post: MarcusA
  Art in decadence? Macoleco 53 5583 December 4, 2022 at 5:43 pm
  Of neon and art deco...... Brian37 7 534 September 2, 2020 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  April fool. This is indeed a work of art. Succubus#2 1 352 April 1, 2020 at 6:44 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  'demonic' art project at school Fake Messiah 1 505 October 23, 2019 at 12:16 am
Last Post: AFTT47
  Censored Art Photos Foxaèr 5 576 April 27, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Your Thoughts On Art Alan V 86 6451 April 16, 2019 at 6:35 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir