Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how do you cheer yourself up on a bad day?
how do you cheer yourself up on a bad day?
I usually don't let my emotions get the best of me but i am feeling kind of off for a few days
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
― Voltaire
RE: how do you cheer yourself up on a bad day?
Going running, music, good food, a stupid movie.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Wallow in the despair
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Funny shit, dumb flicks, uplifting songs, talking to rad people, taking out the frustration by sports
Sex (Obviously of the BDSM variety). One of the reasons I like it is because it puts me in a different mental state for a little while, so that when I come back to the "real world" I have a little perspective. It helps weeds out some stupid stuff.

Running. I use a the Zombies, Run! 5k trainer. The story keeps my brain going, and I keep the background music poppy and peppy.

Take on a smallish task that you know you can accomplish. Maybe take on a couple of them. Getting them finished is a weird placebo for feeling like you can fix other shit in your life.

Singing (in private) to favorite music.

Playing with the dog.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Sharing the despair with a friend with the goal of pulling them in to it
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(May 26, 2015 at 1:10 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: Take on a smallish task that you know you can accomplish. Maybe take on a couple of them. Getting them finished is a weird placebo for feeling like you can fix other shit in your life.

I've noticed this effect as well. Isn't it strange how that works? If I feel like my work is going badly and my life is a mess, doing the dishes, cleaning up the living room and/or vacuuming will instantly make me feel like everything is kind of under control after all.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(May 26, 2015 at 1:13 pm)Alex K Wrote:
(May 26, 2015 at 1:10 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: Take on a smallish task that you know you can accomplish. Maybe take on a couple of them. Getting them finished is a weird placebo for feeling like you can fix other shit in your life.

I've noticed this effect as well. Isn't it strange how that works? If I feel like my work is going badly and my life is a mess, doing the dishes, cleaning up the living room and/or vacuuming will instantly make me feel like everything is kind of under control after all.

It's why I often come home and refuse to go out with people after a bad day, but instead clean my rooms and wipe surfaces down. I sleep easier knowing that I can find everything (as opposed to digging through piles) and that the dog can't get into anything (because everything is put away). And it's a good exercise in how accomplishing small things can create good habits for accomplishing larger ones.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(May 26, 2015 at 1:04 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Wallow in the despair

I think this is underrated.  Sometimes, when one is depressed, cheerful things can be annoying.  On those occasions, I have found that just going with the emotion for a while, to exercise it a bit, helps lessen it and eventually helps one get rid of it.

In the past, one of my favorite ways of doing this is to put on a good recording of Mozart's Requiem (I like the one conducted by Peter Schreier), playing it fairly loudly, letting the depressing music wash over me, as it were.

(I suppose that is the equivalent of what some people mean when they say they have a good cry.)

I have not needed to do this in many years now, but it is what I would do if trying the direct cheerful things failed.

Exercise is a good thing, too, to help.  Getting physically tired from a very long walk, or run, or whatever, can help one get some sleep and feel better in the morning.

(May 26, 2015 at 1:12 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Sharing the despair with a friend with the goal of pulling them in to it

Not good.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Muse on the size of the cosmos - its scale, its majesty, its age, its density. Consider our place in it, this tiny blue rock neatly packed away in one little corner of one average-sized galaxy.
Feel scared. Feel unburdened. Feel better.

Smoke weed, but just a little.

Do both at once.

Report on your findings.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fine - I'll do it - Happy Whatever You Celebrate Eve/Day arewethereyet 20 1107 December 25, 2020 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  What's your area's bad ass bug(s)? Gawdzilla Sama 23 1682 November 4, 2018 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  The No Good, Bad Luck Thread Bob Kelso 4 343 September 12, 2018 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: brewer
  A bad day for the neighbors ... and a mystery to solve ignoramus 6 467 July 6, 2018 at 3:47 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  As you age, do you find yourself becoming more or less irritable? Foxaèr 48 8337 May 4, 2018 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Women: how do you define yourself? Foxaèr 11 1432 April 22, 2018 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  If You Did Haz A Clone Of Yourself Identical Mentally *AND* Physically? Edwardo Piet 53 8832 April 5, 2018 at 2:21 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Men: How do You Define Yourself? Rhondazvous 33 2398 April 3, 2018 at 5:51 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  How long can a Subway sandwich last in the refrigerator before it goes bad? Cthulhu Awakening 11 6427 December 24, 2017 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Good person/bad person Catholic_Lady 82 10634 October 23, 2017 at 9:18 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist