Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battlestar Galactica Fans: Revised BSG, Love It or Hate It?
Any fans of the Battlestar Galactica franchise: what strikes your fancy better--classic BSG or the new revised version of BSG, and why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOGhj_YCU8o

vs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2x14ZhEc9k
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."--Thomas Jefferson
RE: Battlestar Galactica Fans: Revised BSG, Love It or Hate It?
I get why people hate the religious aspect the re-imagined series with the suggestion that there is a single god and with the Mormon influence, but as far as I'm concerned a film, TV series or book is its own universe and shouldn't automatically be taken to be saying anything about reality. This is particularly so with the genres of sci-fi and fantasy.

I was never a fan of the ultra cheesy original series. I loved the re-imagined series though. The physics seemed plausible. They used guns that shot bullets, nuclear missiles and explosives. They had shortages of food, potable water and other resources. Bodies got sucked into the vacuum of space. There was politics. And Space was really really big, they had to do jumps rather than warp travel and they even had time dilation. Although I don't know why the fleet was always moving when it wasn't jumping, it wasn't like it was going to reach a new location before the next jump.

Even the aspect of there being an almighty god can be waved away though because in both Caprica and BSG Virtual Reality is as real as actual reality and there is a suggestion that their reality could have been created in the same way.
The reimagined series was so stylish and dark, great stuff. But I too think they messed it up in the end.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Didn't care for either one.  Both stank of trying way too hard and yet falling way too short.  
I absolutely love BSG! I liked the old one as a child even though it was kind of cheesy. The new one is so good that I bought the box set in Blue Ray.

I love the acting of James Edward Olmos. In my opinion he really made the show.
[Image: 9e010d8e3401c4b30d3fb70a53e2cb8b.jpg]
I like the hot chicks in it too like #6 Cylon. Wowsers!
[Image: 65c137853892216306f3ee5507827399.jpg]
The BSG universe has always made an impression on me of the epic story of the usual good versus evil type. The classic BSG is one of those sci-fi TV shows that if you watched it as a kid remains in your brain, if you loved it, as a feel-good memory, and it is for me as I grew up during the 70s. Yeah, it was cheesy and some of the humor was juvenile. Classic BSG was more geared toward teens and young adults as a target audience. I like it as a cool part of my late childhood.

Having said that, I would have to say I am more partial to the revised BSG. It was more geared to the theme of the whole story: mankind fleeing genocidal destruction. It was more grittier, darker, brought the religious conflict aspects more to the fore, and to a degree was more realistic. I especially liked how Edward James Olmos depicted Adama, and I really enjoyed how Mary McDonnell fit well into the character of President Roslin. I liked her so much I started watching Major Crimes because she is in it. I also enjoyed "Caprica" and "Blood & Chrome." Another plus is that the writers and producers consulted a scientist, Dr. Kevin R. Grazier (http://insights.dice.com/2012/08/24/feat...r-grazier/), he was the one who came up with the idea of the Cyrannus star system as a double binary star system that contained all twelve planets of the Colonies. That was cool, and it made much more sense than cramming all 12 planets around one star. I bought the official poster.

http://battlestarorion.wikidot.com/twelve-colonies
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."--Thomas Jefferson
I loved the original as a kid despite it's cheesiness. Hell, I even watched the lame attempt to bring it back in 1985.

I was hesitant with the new series seeing that they had changed so much. I finally got around to watching the mini-series near the end of the second season, then binge watched until I was caught up. For the first two years, it was the best show on television. For the other two, while not as good as the first two, it was arguably the best show on television.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
I hate that Roslin died at the end.

Also, what the hell was the deal with Starbuck and the whole ghost thing?
I liked the original series, but hey, I was 11.  I'd probably consider it schlock if not for the nostalgic value.

I tried to like the reboot (my ex was into it), but I think I'd need to watch it straight through from the beginning, and I'm not sure I want to do that.  :p
C'mon CD. You can binge watch the whole thing in a couple of weeks! Big Grin

Yes, starting at the beginning is imperative for this series. It has story arcs started in the first season that aren't resolved until the fourth.

Correction, the attempt to bring it back in 1980, not '85. Wow, how the brain of an old fart can get so confused on the details. Smile
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Old-school anime (japanimation) fans anyone? johnnyboy 14 1190 January 6, 2023 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Why theists really hate Harry Potter Foxaèr 49 2849 October 17, 2018 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Post the songs you hate here. Yes, right here! brewer 265 25686 September 20, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  For you Criminal Minds fans Foxaèr 1 422 March 31, 2016 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: Joods
  I hate The Young Turks so much. Reforged 14 2869 November 17, 2015 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: DespondentFishdeathMasochismo
  Music you hate Longhorn 112 25204 July 1, 2015 at 9:14 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  X-Fleas, why I hate that show! Brian37 24 3180 May 31, 2015 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  The Doctor makes fans day at the Doctor Who Experience Cyberman 3 1314 March 31, 2015 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  WHY PEOPLE HATE ATHEISTS atheist04330 10 3546 August 3, 2014 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Ginger Hate? BrokenQuill92 25 8153 January 23, 2014 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Shaggy