Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I hate The Young Turks so much.
I hate The Young Turks so much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVl3BJoEoAU

Its basically Fox if it was liberal, they have exactly the same formula. They present mock outrage at words taken out of context then put that out as news.
They look at things the right have been doing and shake their heads making completely uninformed statements. Because their following is on the left none of them correct them because their political ideology is more important to them than little things like facts.
Don't get me wrong, some of the people they look at are cunts but to call these people journalists would be a gross misuse of the word. Every report they make is biased nonsense designed to appeal to the political leanings of their viewers. They do no real digging or fact checking and almost everything they put out is opinion based.
No journalistic integrity, makes me sick.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
RE: I hate The Young Turks so much.
Do you have any specific examples of them being blatantly dishonest or hypocritical? Because that's the kind of thing I think of when I think of Fox News.

I don't follow TYT. So, I have no idea what to think of your critique, but I do know that calling them Fox News requires some evidence of dishonesty or blatant stupidity.
(October 25, 2015 at 10:24 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Do you have any specific examples of them being blatantly dishonest or hypocritical? Because that's the kind of thing I think of when I think of Fox News.

I don't follow TYT. So, I have no idea what to think of your critique, but I do know that calling them Fox News requires some evidence of dishonesty or blatant stupidity.

Same here, I have only occasionally watched them and no strong feelings one way or the other, but examples would be nice, esp. if you think they are systematically distorting facts etc.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

The method is abit more clever than Fox. Its not a case of distortion, its more a case that they get guests on to make those inaccurate statements but don't disagree because they serve their cause. They are allowed to go on and on. If the statements are called out for being inaccurate after the show has aired they distance themselves from the statement. The guests do the mud-slinging and take all the risk.
If someone comes on with a statement that is inaccurate and is *opposed* to their cause they are immediately called on it. Usually the person isn't there to retort, its a clip.
Every title, every sentiment, everything they do is controversial soundbites that they then go off on.
I wouldn't recommend watching most of their videos but Sam Harris was a perfect example of some of their work.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
I agree that they're not trying to be partisan, but Fox goes way beyond simply having an agenda. They're a well-oiled propaganda machine that consistently and blatantly manipulates the facts to push a narrative. That sounds like an unfair comparison. Perhaps something along the lines of MSNBC would be more appropriate.

As for the inaccuracies, I find it curious that you're being so vague about them.
(October 25, 2015 at 10:55 pm)Faith No More Wrote: I agree that they're not trying to be partisan, but Fox goes way beyond simply having an agenda.  They're a well-oiled propaganda machine that consistently  and blatantly manipulates the facts to push a narrative.  That sounds like an unfair comparison.  Perhaps something along the lines of MSNBC would be more appropriate.

As for the inaccuracies, I find it curious that you're being so vague about them.

Because finding the ones I've seen is like asking me to pick specific grains of sand from a beach after the tide has been and gone.
Theres so many videos and most of them are like 6 minutes long. 
Alot of it is like this;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zAgJzepVAs
He produces a poll over amounts spent by the US training foreign armies, tuts at the US for doing that with oversimplified statements like "imagine what we could do with that money" and then the video ends without so much as a bit of speculation what the consequences for those countries would be if they were left with an untrained military. Thoughtless shite like that.

The demonstrably dodgy claims about people that don't fit in with their ideology are made by guests they bring on and can appropriately distance themselves from should there be any fallout.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB1lcJl2qtk
Most of what this guest says is rhetoric with no solutions which is exactly what he criticizes Bernie for but Cenk makes no effort to cut through the bullshit and just nods.

When they bring on guests of opposing views it will always, with one exception I found, be someone crazy like Alex Jones or Jesse Ventura for a real clash of intellects.
They go for soundbytes, short and sharp so it sticks in your head. All of it resonates one message "I'm liberal so agree with me."
If news is going digital these guys are the next up and comers to the throne of bullshit.

In Sam Harris' case they had a couple of lunatics who oppose his views come on making all kinds of claims that were demonstrably false. They went on uninterrupted and uncorrected.
I can't seem to find the videos, I suspect they were taken down after the video in the OP. They do that in cases they get called out on to an embarrassing degree.
I imagine that will begin to bite them in the ass once they get more recognized which is in the process of happening.
- Abdul Alhazred.
Minus Cenk giving a platform to the totally discredited, regressive-leftist hack C.J. Werlemen, and being unduly misrepresentative of Sam Harris' view of Muslims - after Cenk sat down with him for a three hour conversation - I've always liked the Young Turks. It's been years since I've watched them on a regular basis though. I'm more a fan of Secular Talk now.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Quote: and then the video ends without so much as a bit of speculation what the consequences for those countries would be if they were left with an untrained military. Thoughtless shite like that.
Apparently, the consequences are roughly similar whether we train a foreign military or not, been watching the news?  We may as well have spent that money elsewhere, for all the good that it did both us, and those foreign countries. Were it not for the remarkable ineffectiveness of that strategy I doubt that there'd be any news to report on it at all.

Throwing money and mercs at a problem rarely solves the problem..unless the problem is how to best separate people from their money and employ said mercs. Precisely the problem our strategy was designed to solve, btw, lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 26, 2015 at 3:35 am)Rhythm Wrote:
Quote: and then the video ends without so much as a bit of speculation what the consequences for those countries would be if they were left with an untrained military. Thoughtless shite like that.
Apparently, the consequences are roughly similar whether we train a foreign military or not, been watching the news?  We may as well have spent that money elsewhere, for all the good that it did both us, and those foreign countries.  Were it not for the remarkable ineffectiveness of that strategy I doubt that there'd be any news to report on it at all.

Throwing money and mercs at a problem rarely solves the problem..unless the problem is how to best separate people from their money and employ said mercs.   Precisely the problem our strategy was designed to solve, btw, lol.

You're talking about military expenditure in training another nations army as if it were the same thing as military expenditure on aggressive maneuvers. 
Whether the reason for the initial force was justified or not; it happened. Leaving them with an untrained military to deal with the resulting discord would be a death sentence and likely give rise to further conflicts. Whether the attempt worked or not; doing nothing was not an option.
- Abdul Alhazred.
(October 25, 2015 at 10:24 pm)Faith No More Wrote: I don't follow TYT.  So, I have no idea what to think of your critique, but I do know that calling them Fox News requires some evidence of dishonesty or blatant stupidity.

As opposed to Fox, they make no secret on being opinionated. Also as opposed to Fox, it's not a news channel, but one to offer commentaries. They're objectively wrong at times, but they're also objectively right, as far as the news material they present, is concerned. What they mostly do is to present news stories viewed from a moderate leftist perspective.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why theists really hate Harry Potter Foxaèr 49 2825 October 17, 2018 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  I Know Most Of You Are Too Young To Remember Johnny Carson Minimalist 9 5598 November 8, 2017 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Young Pope SteelCurtain 0 515 January 17, 2017 at 1:06 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Post the songs you hate here. Yes, right here! brewer 265 25208 September 20, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  Young punks make good music bennyboy 2 857 September 10, 2016 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Pat Doesn't Think Much of the EU Minimalist 68 9185 October 15, 2015 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Young boys beware. He is a homosexual. (1950s video) GrandizerII 28 6362 October 4, 2015 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  Music you hate Longhorn 112 25019 July 1, 2015 at 9:14 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Battlestar Galactica Fans: Revised BSG, Love It or Hate It? Secular Elf 39 9938 June 15, 2015 at 5:48 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  X-Fleas, why I hate that show! Brian37 24 3139 May 31, 2015 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: Cyberman