Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biblical Creation and the Geological Record in Juxtaposition
Biblical Creation and the Geological Record in Juxtaposition
Christians often try to intellectualize the Bible in an effort to justify their beliefs. People may reap certain benefits from mythology when it is seen as mythology.  However, it is not only my right but my responsibility to address faulty appeals to science. The purity of science is that it ferrets out truth not beliefs. Recently, a Christian claimed that the biblical creation story conforms to the geological eras or eons of Earth history. Could this be true? I wondered. If so, then I wanted to know. Research, not intellectual hubris, will reveal the truth whether that truth supports belief or unbelief in the biblical record. So I went to work reading about these eons to see for myself if the Bible conformed to them. Here, I will share with you what I found.

Hadean Eon

This eon is supposed to coincide to the first day of creation. Let’s see if it does. God creates the Earth and his spirit moves over the deep (ocean). In truth, there were no oceans in the beginning. It is commonly held that life began in the ocean. But life did not appear for billions of years after the Hadean eon. During this first eon there were only molten rocks and the Earth was extremely hot. The name Hadean comes from the Greek word we know as Hades to describe the hellish (very hot) conditions at that time.

The sun is the center of our solar system. The Earth is just one of many planets orbiting the sun and the sun itself orbit’s the center of the Milky Way galaxy. In the Bible, however, God creates the Earth and land before he creates the sun. Not only that, but he creates night and day before he creates the sun. So we start out doing things totally backwards on day one. Still, I will keep an open mind and see what day two looks like.

Archean Eon

The proponent of the Bible-geology concurrence tells us that on day two of creation Earth’s atmosphere became oxygenated. This is untrue on two accounts. Number one, the Earth’s atmosphere did not become oxygenated until 1.7 billion years ago, long after the Archean eon. Yes, there were always traces of oxygen, but not in sufficient enough amounts to justify calling the atmosphere oxygenated. Number two, the Bible says nothing about an atmosphere. On day two of creation, God creates the firmament. This firmament (Hebrew raqiya or raqia) refers to a dome, canopy or vault that the ancient Hebrews believed encircled the Earth. They believed this raqiya to be a solid object held up by pillars (Job 26:11). So on day two we see the creation of something that in the real world, does not exist.

Proterozoic Eon

On day three of creation, the waters are gathered together and the dry land appears. In truth, continents arise from a process called continental accretion—a gradual addition of substances such as sediment or volcanic arcs to tectonic plates. The first super continents, Ur and Vaalbara, appeared some 3.6-3.1 billion years ago, placing them in the Archean eon

What the Proterozoic eon is known for is the oxygenation of the Earth’s atmosphere. So again, the biblical record does not coincide with the geological record.

Paleozoic Eon

This is where things fall apart (if they haven‘t already). On the fourth day of creation, God finally gets around to creating the sun and the moon. He places them in the firmament of the Earth. Excuse me, but isn’t that kinda close? Which was created first, the sun or the Earth? You be the judge.

The Paleozoic eon actually saw an explosion of complex life forms. Everything from fish to reptiles appeared during that time, as well as forests of various plants.

Mesozoic Eon

God first creates life on Earth on the fifth day of creation. Yet, as we have seen, life was already here. In fact, Mesozoic means middle life. During this period the dinosaurs become the dominant vertebrae. This period also saw their extinction. We do see birds for the first time, as well as mammals. Funny that God should do his great creation of life during the geologic age of the two greatest mass extinctions on Earth. But this isn't mentioned.  I wonder why.

Cenozoic Eon

In what seems like the eleventh hour, we finally see some concurrence between the biblical account and the geological record on the sixth day of creation.  On this day, God creates all the big game animals and his masterpiece, humanity.  . Cenozoic means new life and it is known as the Age of Mammals. After the demise of dinosaurs, mammals began to proliferate at exponential rates. This grand proliferation enabled them to diversify into zillions of different species.

The biblical creation story gives no hint that divine knowledge of the structure of our universe or the history of our planet was involved in its writing.  Christians may try to redeem this dichotomy between the Bible and reality by saying there were six eons and six days. Playing the numbers game is not enough to make up for the differences in the order of events.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Biblical Creation and the Geological Record in Juxtaposition
It is a wonder that Christians don't pass a law forbing atheists and agnostics from reading the bible because their holy book is a pretty good defense against their beliefs.

No sun but, according to the bible, there was day and night. That makes no sense and is proof that most Christians just skim the Genesis account because if they really read it then it wouldn't make any sense.

A lot of young earthers believe that the everything ate vegetation until god threw Adam and Eve out of the garden.  Lions, they believe, only ate grass. 
(June 6, 2015 at 8:00 am)Nope Wrote: It is a wonder that Christians don't pass a law forbing atheists and agnostics from reading the bible because their holy book is a pretty good defense against their beliefs.

No sun but, according to the bible, there was day and night. That makes no sense and is proof that most Christians just skim the Genesis account because if they really read it then it wouldn't make any sense.

A lot of young earthers believe that the everything ate vegetation until god threw Adam and Eve out of the garden.  Lions, they believe, only ate grass. 

And the fact god created everything in the dark before turning on the light bulb Tongue 
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(June 6, 2015 at 7:44 am)Rhondazvous Wrote:

But life did not appear for billions of years after the Hadean eon.

I'm mostly with you
except for the use of the plural as bolded by me. 

Abiogenesis
Quote:The age of the Earth is about 4.54 billion years. The earliest undisputed evidence of life on Earth dates at least from 3.5 billion years ago, during the Eoarchean Era after a geological crust started to solidify following the earlier molten Hadean Eon.

Trying to get the bible to agree with itself, never mind reality, gives you brain cramps that really hurt. Ouch.
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
(June 6, 2015 at 8:00 am)Nope Wrote: It is a wonder that Christians don't pass a law forbing atheists and agnostics from reading the bible because their holy book is a pretty good defense against their beliefs. 

Access to the bible was restricted in the Middle Ages.

Quote:The Synod of Toulouse in 1229 forbade the laity to have in their possession any copy of the books of the Old and the New Testament except the Psalter and 86 such other portions as are contained in the Breviary or the Hours of the Blessed Mary.

http://www.ccel.org/s/schaff/encyc/encyc....v.lxi.htm
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Well, I'm a writer but I would rather write a decent book to begin with than write one full of errors and forbid people to read it. But hey, I'm just a mortal. What do I know?

Notice that I only put the geological record in juxtaposition to Genesis chapter one. In chapter two which tells us that god created man first, it's just hopeless.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

--Voltaire

Fear not.  They reach way up their asses and pull out an "explanation."

Somehow, that explanation never includes the obvious.  That "god" didn't know what the fuck he was talking about.
"God was there and wrote a book telling us how he did it. Who are you going to trust with your soul - someone who was actually there and knows everything, or the scientists with their narrow view who just look at the evidence?"

I feel soiled now.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Lions are a recent species, anywhere from 100,000 to 500,000 years old, probably on the short side.  Take the hides off lions and tigers and you couldn't tell them apart.  They are still able to interbreed.  
(June 6, 2015 at 6:31 pm)Stimbo Wrote: "God was there and wrote a book telling us how he did it. Who are you going to trust with your soul - someone who was actually there and knows everything, or the scientists with their narrow view who just look at the evidence?"

I feel soiled now.

Perhaps it's that "evidence" Min is talking about. It should be Shipped High In Transit to avoid explosion.

--Voltaire

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evolution/creation video Drich 62 9512 January 15, 2020 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Rebuke on Biblical Prophecy Narishma 12 1464 May 28, 2018 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Knowing god outside a biblical sense Foxaèr 60 10725 March 31, 2018 at 1:44 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Record few Americans believe in Biblical inerrancy. Jehanne 184 22437 December 31, 2017 at 12:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  So, what would an actual 'biblical' flood look like ?? vorlon13 64 14606 August 30, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Could God's creation be like His omniscience? Whateverist 19 5975 May 18, 2017 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Christmas Traditions and Biblical Contradictions with Reality Mystical 30 5188 December 8, 2016 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Tower of Bible and creation of languages mcolafson 41 6094 September 22, 2016 at 9:33 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Biblical Date Rape chimp3 38 6767 July 29, 2016 at 10:35 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Biblical Incest Foxaèr 35 6347 July 19, 2016 at 11:21 am
Last Post: vorlon13