Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Practical uses of big science projects
Practical uses of big science projects
Tired of morons moaning about how science, particularly large-scale projects such as the LHC or the ISS are a waste of money and offer no practical benefits, I did a bit of research into just how much difference these megaprojects have made to the world. Some of the stuff is mind-boggling, particularly the contributions to technology and industry the LHC has made. Here's a link to some of the benefits I discovered pertaining to the creation and construction of the LHC, and the array of improvements to all kinds of industries that have happened directly or indirectly as a result. The idea of the thread is its use as a resource to dip into when you encounter these eejits and wish to challenge their pessimistic views on science Tongue

http://www.quora.com/What-practical-use-...n-Collider

Feel free to research and add your own. Together, we are the shield that guards the realms of knowledge...
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
RE: Practical uses of big science projects
Bu...bu...but...what about "jesus?"
(June 8, 2015 at 12:51 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Bu...bu...but...what about "jesus?"

Fuck Jesus in the ass with a sub-luminal proton beam.

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
Is that anything like a cactus dildo?
This thing here cost a billion dollars. We obviously have plenty of capital to burn for useless nonsense. I rest my case.

[Image: Anthem_of_the_Seas_08_%28cropped%29_%28contrast%29.JPG]
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(June 8, 2015 at 12:55 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Is that anything like a cactus dildo?

I'm not the man to ask, though I'm sure there are others who can inform you thusly...

Satan ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Be fair, Alex.  How else are rich fucks supposed to go on vacation and get terribly ill?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates...515923.stm
(June 8, 2015 at 12:55 pm)Alex K Wrote: This thing here cost a billion dollars. We obviously have plenty of capital to burn for useless nonsense. I rest my case.

[Image: Anthem_of_the_Seas_08_%28cropped%29_%28contrast%29.JPG]

That thing looks one strong gust of wind from being a Herold of Free Enterprise.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

The Poseidon Adventure all over again.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did the Big Bang happen? JairCrawford 50 3704 May 18, 2022 at 1:07 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  The Einstein is practical, but not theoretical? robinhood 20 2604 April 17, 2018 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Joods
  Just When I Thought I Understood the Big Bang Rhondazvous 19 2523 January 23, 2018 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  If the Universe Collapses Because of a False Vacuum, Won't There Just be Another Big Rhondazvous 11 2474 November 8, 2017 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Big Bang and QM bennyboy 1 615 September 10, 2017 at 4:17 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  How big is the universe? Rhondazvous 77 11872 August 1, 2017 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Teaching the Big bang theory to Preschoolers GeorgiasTelescope 5 1596 June 24, 2017 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  I wrote the first book to teach the Big Bang theory to Preschoolers! GeorgiasTelescope 0 652 June 12, 2017 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: GeorgiasTelescope
  The Science of the Big Bang RiddledWithFear 13 2288 December 7, 2016 at 10:47 am
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
Smile "Science of the Big Bang" Rough Draft and Secondary Draft RiddledWithFear 4 1656 December 6, 2016 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: RiddledWithFear