Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freewill and god.
Freewill and god.
so... here it goes after doing some thinking.
god of the bible is all knowing and yet theists say we have free will.

Here is the problem with that. Okay if you have read the many worlds theory we essentially create universes off of one action.
So lets say i had breakfast that is one action then there is many other actions that could have taken place. One action being me writing this now
while eating or drinking or me not writing this at all. This is the key problem throwing a god into it.
Not only is your existence being affected all the others are as well. Then the other thing would be is there only 1 god controlling all the alternate existences of
your actions, or is it one god per alternate existence. So is there one god or many gods per existence then there would be to be a god to create other gods that create
alternate existences so on and so fourth. It doesn't make any logical sense it gets redundant and why do we even need to believe in a god anyways.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
RE: Freewill and god.
but since we are all going do our actions and not the other possible ones, only one universe will be created.

I think this one should be in the philosophy section.
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
(June 14, 2015 at 3:38 pm)Marsellus Wallace Wrote: but since we are all going do our actions and not the other possible ones, only one universe will be created.

Yeah the one we are in. I am just referencing the ones that could be. We are not really sure if those other reactions 
could exist some where other than in this existence is all. More than likely it is possible because well we know there is
other galaxies and the possibility of there being only 1 universe give or take highly unlikely. Even physicists agree
there is many more universes than just our own so yeah our actions could be the opposite in one of them.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Having a list called "commandments" doesn't bode well for free will.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
(June 14, 2015 at 3:32 pm)dyresand Wrote: so... here it goes after doing some thinking.

Here is the problem with that. Okay if you have read the many worlds theory we essentially create universes off of one action.
So lets say i had breakfast that is one action then there is many other actions that could have taken place. One action being me writing this now
while eating or drinking or me not writing this at all. This is the key problem throwing a god into it.
Not only is your existence being affected all the others are as well. Then the other thing would be is there only 1 god controlling all the alternate existences of
your actions, or is it one god per alternate existence. So is there one god or many gods per existence then there would be to be a god to create other gods that create
alternate existences so on and so fourth. It doesn't make any logical sense it gets redundant and why do we even need to believe in a god anyways.

they confuse "all knowing" with knowing way more than them.  I don't even know why this thing has to be Omni-dude.  Why can't it just be "it".
anti-logical Fallacies of Ambiguity
(June 14, 2015 at 7:03 pm)comet Wrote:
(June 14, 2015 at 3:32 pm)dyresand Wrote: so... here it goes after doing some thinking.

they confuse "all knowing" with knowing way more than them.  I don't even know why this thing has to be Omni-dude.  Why can't it just be "it".

cuz the ones who made the religions are all men.

Men : Creatures with the likely hood of 99% chance of being assholes.
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
Sure, I never get that. It made the universe so it must be infinitely powerful. Why, exactly?

It knows enough to create the universe, so it must be infinitely knowledgable! Why, exactly?

If it turns out our universe was made by a guy sitting at a console running a simulation, is he infinitely powerful and all knowing? Perhaps you could say that as far as our universe goes, he is powerful enough to make "anything happen" and knows whatever he needs to know about it. So maybe he's omni regarding our artificial reality. But zoom out into his reality, and he's just a guy. He's not omni anything regarding his own "real" reality (or rather there's no reason he would be). And would he really be impressed by some little peons on a lump of grit writing fairy tale stories about how they imagine him and wanting to suck his cock 24/7? I think he'd just laugh and not care at all. Or more likely, he wouldn't even notice. It's a fucking big simulation.

And there's no way to distinguish between that scenario and the "God" hypothesis. I still think by far the most likely candidate for "God", if there is one, is exactly this simulation scenario. So it's just some guy (or whatever it is) in another reality. Big deal. Is begging him to program in an amazing afterlife, in the hope that he will somehow notice and care, really the best use of our time? If that's what we want, he already "knows" this, if that data is of any interest to him in the first place. Thinking we have special methods of communicating him by prayer is just silly.

We're probably an abandoned simulation that didn't get properly turned off. Yeah Smile Of course this is all speculation, but I think it's much more realistic speculation. There's still the much more simple and obvious case where this is all there is, and there is no "God" of any sort.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Hey I got another one.

You know this business about God working "through" people, like he sends someone to go save you when you're stranded somewhere or whatever. They just happen to find you and it can't be a coincidence!!

So basically he's violating their free will and using them for his own devices? Or at best "very strongly encouraging" them to do what he wants, or just making them do it without being aware they are being manipulated? But he won't violate the free will of someone raping a child. Not even his own priests.

This is such horse shit. If you're prepared to believe cop outs like this, it's no different to a kid saying Santa works through your parents to buy you presents, so Santa really does exist. Come on!

And stop fucking with our free will, God. It's the explanation for evil, remember.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Theist that don't know shit about science data say this.  There is no "free will".  But people can make choices.  This topic is a probability thing.

My present view:   
If god knew the future, his certainty will decrease in the future the farther from "now"  he goes.  So they got it wrong.

New information that I have to consider:
on the other hand we do have "block time".  I need more info on this block time.  
anti-logical Fallacies of Ambiguity
(June 14, 2015 at 3:43 pm)dyresand Wrote: Even physicists agree
there is many more universes than just our own so yeah our actions could be the opposite in one of them.

Actually there is no such agreement. The idea has definitely gained traction and you might even say it's mainstream but hardly universally (no pun intended) agreed on. And Many Worlds is but one take on the multiverse idea.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Does detector LIGO work on freewill only? theBorg 49 6483 September 17, 2016 at 7:42 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19442 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  Freewill of Mass Murderers Forsaken 18 5411 February 17, 2012 at 10:38 pm
Last Post: jason56