Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 9:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morality in animals
Morality in animals
If a godless monkey can have morals... so can we...

There goes that argument.. unless, unless!! god speaks monkey

https://www.facebook.com/#!/GWAnimalPark...=1&theater
QuarkDriven  
   KCCO
North NJ l USA l Earth
Milky Way l The Universe
RE: Morality in animals
Everything we experience has its counterpart in any number of other animals. Why should altruism or what we call morality not be out there too? Of course, this use of symbolic language does seem to be unique to us .. but other animals communicate according to a patterning they understand. So again, we're not the be-all and end-all. We're just one of many viable mammalian designs.

Wait. Another area where we are exceptional is in the capacity to gloat over our superiority. Other animals celebrate their nature, but I doubt that any other engages in comparison the way we do.
we don't know.. that monkey could have been gloating and showboating about how he's a hero to all his monkey friends... lol pride is a sin ya'know..
QuarkDriven  
   KCCO
North NJ l USA l Earth
Milky Way l The Universe
Stupid monkey acting all human and stuff.
I know that monkey. Don't stress over his actions. He's Catholic. It's his duty. Shit scared of hell and all.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I heard a wonderful story while at a monkey sanctuary. (A different one!) I believe it was a true story, it was presented as such.

One of the staff told us about enrichment that had been set up for two monkeys who were either side of a fence. There was enough room for them to pass things through the fence, but not to get to each other. They had placed a load of food in one of the enclosures, so that the monkey couldn't get it out. But they had placed the tool needed to get the food out in the other enclosure.

The monkey passed the tool through to the other one, so he could go get the food out. It worked, and he got access to the food. Then he took half of the food back, and passed it back through to the monkey who gave him the tool Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I love hearing stories like that Rob... All animals are pure of heart! (except spiders and snakes! they are the work of the devil)
So what went wrong with us?

2 things that monkeys aren't exposed to: politics and religion. (absolute power corrupts absolutely)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Sadly, even chimps form death squads.  Manic, cannibal death squads.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gombe_Chimpanzee_War

Quote:

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The story was from China.  For all we know, the monkey was bringing the pup home for Master's dinner.

Boru

addendum:  Just had a wee Google.  It's a hoax, kids.  http://www.hoax-slayer.com/monkey-pup.shtml
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 20, 2015 at 6:28 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The story was from China.  For all we know, the monkey was bringing the pup home for Master's dinner.

Boru

Still shows compassion for the master.

Angel

After all, Christian notions of compassion often involves sucking up to the imaginary master in the sky at the expense of live fellow human beings in reality.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Morality Kingpin 101 5601 May 31, 2023 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6245 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Morality without God Superjock 102 8840 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Morality Agnostico 337 36187 January 30, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Developing systems of morality, outside of religious influence. Kookaburra 28 4132 March 20, 2018 at 1:27 am
Last Post: haig
  Objective morality as a proper basic belief Little Henry 609 160090 July 29, 2017 at 1:02 am
Last Post: Astonished
Video The Married Atheist vid: Morality from science? robvalue 5 2019 March 19, 2016 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Does religion corrupt morality? Whateverist 95 25194 September 7, 2015 at 2:54 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Morality is like a religion Detective L Ryuzaki 29 7694 August 30, 2015 at 11:45 am
Last Post: strawdawg
  thoughts on morality Kingpin 16 5957 July 29, 2015 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Pyrrho