Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was hell a later invention to scare believers?
Was hell a later invention to scare believers?
I have an inch that it is. Because i have actually re-read the letters in authentic order and ignoring forgeries. (And just a hint. The letters are older than the gospels, they start popping up later. Much of it talks more of Jesus as a sky deity than an actual being)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forged#Boo..._by_Ehrman
https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=New_Testament

Atleast by scholars who considers them authentic writings of paul. And even reading the unknown stuff of 1 John, 2 John and 3 John letters who is unknown to who wrote them. But what i just got was "Not in the book of life". Actually hades was the word used as the afterlife for the people who dont follow this religion. Although there have been some debates whether gehenna in the gospels are symbolic for a torture place or just a garbage place outside of jerusalem. (But those are afterall not by eyewitnesses. So yeah)

The only thing i could consider being more direct is "Book of Revelation". Although this was not added til later, because some thought it was a fake. It was not til ca 400 AD that it was added as a last canon in the new testament.

Either way, wanna know what you guys think?
RE: Was hell a later invention to scare believers?
Don't know when hell was added. If added later it may be that the other afterlife was not enough incentive.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I rather doubt that the "authentic" letters of paul were written by anyone named "paul."  The best one could say about them was that they started out as a collection of letters written by one person and were then subjected to extensive editing.

Whether or not this means that they are still "authentic" is a discussion for another day.
Jews didn't have the idea of hell. In fact some people say that's one reason Jesus is worse than Yahweh. At least when Yahweh kills you, he's done with you, but christianity introduced this idea of eternal torment.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Yeah, all the cuddly, feel-good stuff about Jesus goes out the window with that eternal damnation thing.

I think the contemporary vision of what Hell is like comes more from Dante's Inferno than anything else.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Some or most of it, I think. Especially ideas like Satan being in charge of hell. Like an evil Hades or something. I'm pretty sure Satan and his demons torturing people isn't canon. They would be tortured prisoners as much as anyone else.

One interesting note is that sometimes Jesus mentions Gehenna. Which is just a valley you could visit where they keep fires burning and throw the dead into. Meaning it's just a place of fire where they dispose of corpses, and there won't be any eternal torturing of souls.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Still, it's fun to imagine Pat Robertson in hell getting molten gold enemas . . .

Listen to that fraud SCREAM !!!

Praise Jeebus !!!!!!!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

As far as I have been able to gather, hell is a concept brought into Christianity by the NT. That means Jesus brought us about the most evil concept imaginable. I know some people have very toned down ideas of what hell is, but an awful lot of people believe it is to do with eternal torture. For those people, what could Jesus have done that was more evil than to create/unleash hell? I'd love to hear of a suggestion from anybody as to a more evil act Jesus could have done.

Let's face it, hell's primary function is scaring people into compliance and discouraging questions. This isn't much of a threat if there isn't at least some form of considerable suffering involved.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(June 25, 2015 at 12:13 am)robvalue Wrote: what could Jesus have done that was more evil than to create/unleash hell? I'd love to hear of a suggestion from anybody as to a more evil act Jesus could have done.

Well, I suppose he -could have- created a situation in which both the gates of hell and the key to avoiding it involved the status of one's accepting an offer payed for by the blood another. It's difficult to imagine what would have been more disgusting than hell...but that -might- have taken the cake....had he been so inclined.... Rolleyes
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Wow, Jesus just loves rubbing salt into the wound huh Tongue
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What the Hell,is Hell anyway? Vern Cliff 31 6987 October 15, 2015 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Hell Houses (AKA: Hallelujah Houses, Heaven or Hell, Christian Haunted House, etc.) Strider 25 6749 December 3, 2014 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Some Questions for Believers Mudhammam 26 6729 November 7, 2014 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Catholic Believers vorlon13 10 2223 May 27, 2014 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: Artur Axmann
  Resurrecting the thread "The Mythmaker: Paul and the Invention of Christianity" rightcoaster 5 2673 March 18, 2014 at 10:09 am
Last Post: rightcoaster
  The Mythmaker: Paul and the Invention of Christianity Brakeman 2 1073 January 20, 2014 at 1:50 am
Last Post: Boris Karloff
  Sinful Believers Wearing Their Sins freedomfromforum 114 28264 October 31, 2013 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  God - Playing Mind Games with Believers Forsaken 15 6385 February 1, 2012 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: Forsaken