Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something I'm sick of hearing
Something I'm sick of hearing
When someone talks about something shitty a religion has done;

"China is an atheist country but it killed millions of people!"

"Oh but the USSR was atheist and it made being gay illegal!"

"Nazi Germany was atheist and it had The Holocaust!"

I'm sick of these circular-ass conversations with religious people (and apologists) about how "Russia, China and Germany were atheist but they killed x million people". Fuck explaining to this lot that these three states were still "religious" and dogmatic, in that they basically worshipped their venerated leaders as infallible and above human. Fuck telling this lot that living in Nazi Germany and being treated poorly was not "atheism", and that it is the cultural legacy of religion and dogmatism working through proxy, through being imprinted on the social and political fabric of society.

It's a false equivalency to compare their systems to democratic secular societies which grant freedom of religion and self-expression. The only thing these three "atheist states" have in common with secular democracies is that they didn't like religion having power. That's the only common thread.

Side-note I probably posted this thread in the wrong section, if any mods want to move it somewhere more suitable feel free.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

RE: Something I'm sick of hearing
And on top of that, none of that explains why any Christian regime should be murdering any one, in contravention of a key commandment.

(June 26, 2015 at 10:53 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: And on top of that, none of that explains why any Christian regime should be murdering any one, in contravention of a key commandment.

Exactly, it's just a derailment tactic to take the conversation off the bigger issue.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

That issue of course being, why are xtians such hypocritical motherfuckers.
(June 26, 2015 at 11:12 pm)Minimalist Wrote: That issue of course being, why are xtians such hypocritical motherfuckers.

That reminds me, I've got to go see if Randy has been shitposting in CL's thread again.

Well I know that's not your point, but Nazi Germany certainly wasn't anything close to an atheist country.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

100% of murderers drank water at some point in their life, so the only logical conclusion is that drinking water leads to murder

Even when you show me an atheist state that killed specifically in the name of atheism, it's still only a tu quoque -_-
Honestly I think both sides miss the point - The first thing is that this is not a competition so you can't simply point out "Hey you did it too!" but I think atheists are simply to naive to even check Marxism and dismiss everything immedeatly based on the modern definition of atheism - And don't forget, it is only a lack of belief in gods because it says in the dictionary. The truth is that Marxism promotes materialism and atheism and it's a view not compatible (or hardly) with religion so it is hostile towards it - In some ways, political ideologies work like religions because there's principles and rules. It's not as simple as "both had mustaches" and all because there's a lot of complexity into it and atheism was defined as a strong non belief and not just as a lack of thereof.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(June 27, 2015 at 4:16 am)Dystopia Wrote: The truth is that Marxism promotes materialism and atheism and it's a view not compatible (or hardly) with religion so it is hostile towards it.

And yet, there's no European communist country where religion was outright forbidden. They made life hard for churches and devout christians had it harder to land a decent job, since being seen as ideologically less reliable they often were excluded from attending university. Certainly not a comfortable life, but no outright persecution either.

I can't speak for the Asian communist regimes because I know too little about them.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(June 27, 2015 at 3:13 am)Alex K Wrote: Well I know that's not your point, but Nazi Germany certainly wasn't anything close to an atheist country.

I did think that, but it is seriously an arguement they pull out. They are under some misguided impression it was atheist.

Hitler was raised Catholic but kind of informally left it as an adult, he never explicitly called himself an "atheist" but him just growing to dislike the religion is enough for these people to call him that. And he was raised it, no doubt he got all his views from it.

- Maryam Namazie

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Something to watch for (or avoid) The Valkyrie 24 2266 October 4, 2023 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Something to think about .... scamper 16 1636 November 13, 2022 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  A hint at something deeper Ahriman 0 212 October 5, 2022 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Something for nothing onlinebiker 92 4791 September 14, 2021 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The really real Something For Nothing no one 1 396 September 12, 2021 at 5:50 pm
  Pizza, just bit the bullet, trying something new. Brian37 19 1314 June 14, 2021 at 11:58 am
Last Post: brewer
  It’s Christmas so say something nice The Valkyrie 16 1716 December 19, 2019 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: no one
  When someone says something really stupid. Cod 8 1561 July 28, 2019 at 7:35 am
  If you see something, say something Foxaèr 24 2164 February 1, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  The Joy I Fell Hearing This Song Again Has to be Shared Rhondazvous 0 503 October 29, 2018 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous