Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you punish yourself?
Would you punish yourself?
Ghandi would starve himself in order to bring attention to much needed change. Some people consider his sacrifice as having been noble, while others certainly thought he was being downright stupid to punish himself in such a way.

Sometimes, although I understand how irrational it is, I punish myself by not eating when I have become upset by people with whom I interact.

Have you ever, or would you ever, punish yourself in such a way?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Would you punish yourself?
Hell nah.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
To bring attention to global warming, I am perfectly willing to chain myself to Gigi Hadid for as long as it takes.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 24, 2018 at 9:10 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: To bring attention to global warming, I am perfectly willing to chain myself to Gigi Hadid for as long as it takes.

Boru

I had to go look her up. She's reasonably good looking. I'd do her if she asked nicely. Tongue 

BoT, I see no need to punish myself since I left religion. I'm a whole lot better a person than I was led to believe.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
I don't see how it would accomplish anything.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
Ocassionally I can't eat when really upset or pissed off. Sometimes for days. But it's not for self punishment, I just can't eat.

Then there are others who are just the opposite.

Different strokes.

Edit: BTW, Ghandi did it as a passive aggressive motivation for others.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(February 24, 2018 at 9:07 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: Ghandi would starve himself in order to bring attention to much needed change.  Some people consider his sacrifice as having been noble, while others certainly thought he was being downright stupid to punish himself in such a way.

Sometimes, although I understand how irrational it is, I punish myself by not eating when I have become upset by people with whom I interact.

Have you ever, or would you ever, punish yourself in such a way?

Can bringing attention to a need for all be compared to punishing yourself ?

I used to be annoyed at myself and occasionally still am, but mostly now I've learnt to take it easy on myself and think of solutions.
Oddly taking it easy on myself happened for me at the same time I relaxed more with other peoples screw ups, and realised we are all fuck-ups really
Now i see what I used to consider faults in people as cute, or just part of who they are.
'Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid'
(February 24, 2018 at 9:51 pm)Sal Wrote: I don't see how it would accomplish anything.

Well there's Bobby Sands the IRA freedom fighter who starved himself to death thus bringing to an end years of hostility... between the, er...
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
I prefer a world in which self sacrifice is not needed because humans are seeking mutually beneficial actions between each other and the planet. "You can say I'm a dreamer...."

Besides, after that pretentious Jesus dude, self sacrifice is so passe'!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

I wouldn't punish myself. What do ya think I pay the dominatrixes for?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would you get rid of your sexual desire if you could? Macoleco 78 12174 October 16, 2017 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What would you do if you found out we are all in a sim? ignoramus 46 3585 October 9, 2017 at 8:25 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  How do you punish people that want to die? ReptilianPeon 16 3998 July 5, 2015 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  If God exists but doesn't do anything, how would we know? And would it matter? TaraJo 7 3994 January 26, 2013 at 11:14 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  Thoughts on "Believing in Yourself" clemdog14 13 4502 January 11, 2013 at 9:01 am
Last Post: jonb
  how do you forgive yourself? spelbynder 71 20780 July 26, 2012 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger