Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who did you hang with?
Who did you hang with?
What were your friends like in high school? Did you hang with the popular group? The punks? The nerds or other outcasts? The rednecks? Some combination of the above?
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
RE: Who did you hang with?
I went to two different high schools. At the first, I just hung out with my friends. It was a very clique-y place, and my graduating class there was over 1200 kids, so every clique just sort of kept to themselves. My friends and I were just sort of a neutral group- no enemies, but we didn't branch outside of our group.

My second high school was a breath of fresh air: there weren't a whole lot of cliques, and the ones that existed consisted of snobby outcasts whom no one wanted to be around. The cheerleaders partied with the stoners; the jocks hung out with the nerds; we didn't have lunch tables we regularly ate at, rather, everyone just floated around. It was also a much smaller school.

My high school reunion for my second high school is in a week and a half, but it's across the country, and I can't go. I'd be sad about it, but I'm still in contact with the people I care about, so no big.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
I'm from the UK, and I thnk (at least partly because we wear school uniforms), people don't tend to fall into such rigid high school cliches like you get in the American high school films. Like Rebecca my school wasn't so clique-y. Having said that, there was definitely a group of girls in my year who you just looked at and thought "If we were in America, you'd be the cheerleaders".

My best friend early on in school was definitely a punk but I drifted away from him before long and made new friends. My friends in school were a mix of guys and girls, which is what I like, I hate being with all boys (especially boys who only talk about sports, no shade) or being the only boy. I like diversity I guess.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

I wish I was popular in HS, I remember watching the cool popular guys in school and trying to figure out the ultimate formula for coolness  Big Grin

I had zero social skills, I was smaller in size than most of the others, I liked math and science. Guess where I belong  Sleepy
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
I'm in college - I hand with the nerd's group and the lazy kids' group. Both are awesome. The latter still passes every exam Tongue

In school I hanged with nerdy kids to avoid being marginalized. I made the right calls. People used to play electronic shitty music on their phones and me and my friends once brought a big bulky radio and started blasting classic rock during every rehearsal. Good old times (actually less than 10 years ago but I miss it)
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(July 2, 2015 at 5:46 pm)Yeauxleaux Wrote: I'm from the UK, and I thnk (at least partly because we wear school uniforms), people don't tend to fall into such rigid high school cliches like you get in the American high school films.

Dittos

I mean, cliques are a thing, but it's not so much stereotype oriented like it tends to be portrayed in American tv shows or movies. People just hanging with other people
I think some degree of grouping exists but I went to a kinda fucked up school so there was lots of drug consumption, fights, bullies and so on. I noticed a lot of groups in both genders and even subgroups, it's not a myth though it may not be like in the movies.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

We were the smart, depressed, outcast, under-achieving computer geeks that did lots of drugs.  We would be in honors calculus by day and snorting lines of prescription meds by night.  It was a very self-destructive time in my life and the beginning of my crippling depression.

But we were all really close.  We sort of used our friendships as coping mechanisms for the existential angst and emotional troubles we were experiencing. The times I had with my friends were my saving grace, but I just wish I knew at the time that two of them wouldn't survive to see past 27.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(July 2, 2015 at 5:49 pm)Marsellus Wallace Wrote: I wish I was popular in HS...

The popular kids at my school were mostly shallow and stupid. It was an honor not to be a part of them.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
That was in the 70's in the sand hills of Nebraska. Not sure where I fit in, band geek, science (chemistry/physics) nerd clubs, jock club, want to be hippies, latin club, chess club, always on the fringe. Never with the cowboy crowd. I guess tightest group was with the science geeks.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1081 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  Did you know? Ryn 2 320 July 4, 2022 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: weaponoffreedom
  What did you get for Christmas? arewethereyet 13 711 December 29, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  What Hobbies Did You Have As A Kid? BrianSoddingBoru4 51 2259 November 11, 2021 at 7:45 am
Last Post: brewer
  What did you learn to do because of the pandemic? arewethereyet 31 2110 June 27, 2021 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  What job(s) did you have as a kid? arewethereyet 25 2122 April 25, 2021 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Sal
  Did you "spring forward"? Gawdzilla Sama 44 2772 November 5, 2018 at 10:19 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I did it and you should too. Brian37 41 4044 August 25, 2018 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  If You Did Haz A Clone Of Yourself Identical Mentally *AND* Physically? Edwardo Piet 53 8874 April 5, 2018 at 2:21 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Did You Know.......? chimp3 41 2672 February 22, 2018 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: chimp3