Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:51 am

Poll: How would you feel if a gay person of either sex said they fancied you?
This poll is closed.
Flattered
86.36%
38 86.36%
Offended
0%
0 0%
Other
13.64%
6 13.64%
Total 44 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you be flattered if a gay person said they fancied you?
Would you be flattered if a gay person said they fancied you?
Welcome to my first poll Smile The question is this, if a gay person of either gender said they fancied you, would you be flattered, offended, or something else?

It's not as clear cut a question as it might appear. In my experience as a gay man, some homophobes actually seem quite annoyed if you say you don't fancy them - they all do their 'backs against the wall, lads' thing assuming all gay people fancy them but when you call them out on it and say you don't, not in the slightest in fact, they say 'oi!'. So in other words homophobia is not necessarily related to the question.

All thoughts welcome Smile
RE: Would you be flattered if a gay person said they fancied you?
I'm always flattered. Even if my buddies are just joking around or being nice, it always kinda puts a pep in my step. I remember my one friend, who was always hitting on me (jokingly or seriously, I don't know), caught sight of a dude he thought was really hot, I got a teensy bit jealous. Lol
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
I'm a straight guy and I would be flattered but I would say "I'm flattered but Im not gay."
I'm not. Admittedly, I spent my high school years in a parochial boy's only school, and a lot of the boys flirted with me. I did not enjoy it. I estimate that of my 200-strong graduating class, about half of them made a pass at me at some point. Sadly, when I declined them, quite a few did not simply stop, with a few going so far as groping me and even one incident where a student grabbed me from behind and dry-humped me against my will. Of course, since we were both clothed when he did it (and he couldn't be bothered to pull my clothes away), I'm not sure if it technically counts as rape.

Still, I'm well aware that most gay people will at least know not to keep at it when flirting with a straight person, and likely a lot of what I had to go through was closer to prison sexuality than regular gay people, but it still brings up bad times for me.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(July 6, 2015 at 3:36 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: I'm not. Admittedly, I spent my high school years in a parochial boy's only school, and a lot of the boys flirted with me. I did not enjoy it. I estimate that of my 200-strong graduating class, about half of them made a pass at me at some point. Sadly, when I declined them, quite a few did not simply stop, with a few going so far as groping me and even one incident where a student grabbed me from behind and dry-humped me against my will. Of course, since we were both clothed when he did it (and he couldn't be bothered to pull my clothes away), I'm not sure if it technically counts as rape.

Still, I'm well aware that most gay people will at least know not to keep at it when flirting with a straight person, and likely a lot of what I had to go through was closer to prison sexuality than regular gay people, but it still brings up bad times for me.

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences, it sounds horrible Sad I like to flirt with straight guys but only if they're reciprocating. And the purpose of the poll is just to understand the different viewpoints.
I'd be flattered Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
TBH, I'd probably have no idea what was going on, I'd be flirting back without knowing it.

I am absolutely clueless when it comes to people flirting with me and me flirting back. Aloof to the extreme. When I do notice, I am even more flattered than when a woman flirts with me. Probably because women flirt with me all the time (according to my GF) and in TN most gay guys aren't forward enough to flirt with a guy in a neutral setting.

Once, when I was on the beach in SD, I was shirtless and we were playing a pickup volleyball game, and a guy on my team was talking with me. We were talking about football, laughing and joking, and then he touched my breasticle. I realized he was flirting, for like 15 minutes. I immediately got all giggly and awkward. We had a good laugh about it, but I was clueless.

I remain aloof.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I'd be flattered if a gay man said that he fancied me.  But I would feel quite differently if he did not take "no" for an answer with something along the lines of Rev. Rye's experiences occurring.

The only time that a gay man propositioned me was a total stranger.  People who know me somehow know I am not gay.  Not having good gaydar myself, I am not sure how it is that people know such things, but people who know me at all always know I am not gay.  So I am not offended at all that gay men who know me do not say they fancy me.  What would be the point of them saying such a thing when they know it isn't going anywhere?

Now, if a lesbian said she fancied me, I would really be flattered.  (Of course, that happening at all would suggest that she is really bisexual, not a lesbian.)  It still would not go anywhere, as I am happily married and intend to stay that way.  Still, lesbians have said that they liked me (in a platonic way), and I am pleased about that.  It is the most one can reasonably expect.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
I'm bi. So like, whatever Tongue
Why wouldn't you be?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A person and a pet Foxaèr 8 509 August 19, 2023 at 6:01 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Last night my 10-year old daughter said that she did not believe in God. Jehanne 22 2168 December 26, 2021 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Save the best for last person brewer 23 1904 September 16, 2021 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  The last person to post wins ! Leo34 13901 983206 May 13, 2021 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Bill paying and automated vs real person on phone Brian37 36 1974 September 2, 2020 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Give the person above you a new username. Foxaèr 372 27283 June 22, 2018 at 2:22 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  What are the major qualities you like in a person and in what order? Edwardo Piet 31 5389 April 28, 2018 at 12:23 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  How would you deal with an annoying person? Axis 29 2903 February 23, 2018 at 2:21 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
  Forced To Live With An Obnoxious Person Mechaghostman2 21 3482 January 16, 2018 at 12:45 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I Bet It Said "Vorlon Was Here!" Minimalist 6 1267 December 2, 2017 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: vorlon13