Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you scared of flying?
Are you scared of flying?
Sometimes people tell me "You should visit [a country name]" but I can't. Not because I don't want to but because there's this thing called Gravity and its effect on everything that's flying. Planes fall, ships sink and I can't fly nor can I swim and 9/11 doesn't help in persuading me at all. Gravity knows no forgiveness and whatever is in the air, it's bound to fall. If evolution wanted us to be able to fly, it would make us winged. Which is why I would set foot on a plane only if its engines have been removed so that it can't take off.
Are you scared of flying? Or sailing, for that matter? Are there other freaks of nature like me who are scared of flying?
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
RE: Are you scared of flying?
Not as long as I have a plane around me.
I wasn't apprehensive about flying till I worked for a company that made aerospace hardware.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I have flown a whole lot in my lifetime (as a passenger). Widebody DC-10's, commuter Dash 7's and Q400's, even private Cessna 172's. I rather enjoy it, though I'll say that there are sometimes nerves. I kind of like that, though.

I am going to Washington, British Columbia, Alaska, and possibly Yukon next year. In Alaska, and maybe Washington (Seattle), I may have the opportunity to fly some. An operator in Juneau has a seaplane operation with mostly Cessna 206's, IIRC. A seaplane (on pontoons) is something I have never done, and the idea intrigues me. Unfortunately, having spina bifida as I do,my mobility is kind of low, and 40 minutes with no restroom nearby is kind of terrifying (which in itself makes me want to pee). Small planes offer a bit of a free bladder massage.

So, I'm not completely sure, but I look forward to the idea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spina_bifida
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilla...ada_Dash_7
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cessna#Aircraft_models
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
No, I'm scared of crashing.
I always have a nightmare where I'm really high up and I'm falling to my death. The whole time I'm falling, I'm thinking "Why was I ever this high off the fucking ground!? I'm a fucking idiot!" Then I wake up an promise myself never to be high up. So, it's a yes.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
I'm scared of flying too, haven't flown since I was a kid and had no choice over family holidays. When I fly I can't stop imagining the plane falling out of the sky, and all that would take is a faulty part or human error or a bird flying into one of the engines
“The larger the group, the more toxic, the more of your beauty as an individual you have to surrender for the sake of group thought. And when you suspend your individual beauty you also give up a lot of your humanity. You will do things in the name of a group that you would never do on your own. Injuring, hurting, killing, drinking are all part of it, because you've lost your identity, because you now owe your allegiance to this thing that's bigger than you are and that controls you.”  - George Carlin
Just do what a lot of people do and get stoned prior to takeoff. ETOH, weed, RX, (together or separately) they all make it more enjoyable. Makes going through security is kind of a pain. Not much fun standing in line hammered.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 7, 2015 at 7:29 pm)Exian Wrote: I always have a nightmare where I'm really high up and I'm falling to my death. The whole time I'm falling, I'm thinking "Why was I ever this high off the fucking ground!? I'm a fucking idiot!" Then I wake up an promise myself never to be high up. So, it's a yes.

I never have dreams of flying. Relatively often I'm dreaming of earthquakes but that never scares me, though. Come to think of it, I've never had any dreams of me dying.

Saxmoof, I don't need to fly to imagine these events. I can do that on the ground where it's safe to imagine everything.

Brewer, getting myself stoned won't reduce the risk of the plane falling. Not to mention they'll never let me on board while I'm stoned.
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
I absolutely love flying.

Hell, when I get the opportunity (and the money) I like to skydive.

Travel is one of my favourite activities.
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Song Thread: Flying brewer 15 1318 January 8, 2020 at 6:01 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  The Flying Spaghetti Monster Is Real Confused Ape 35 8139 January 1, 2016 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Don't Hug Me I'm Scared JaceDeanLove 5 2053 November 21, 2014 at 12:52 am
Last Post: simplemoss
  Know what sucks? Flying metal birds! Violet 11 3823 June 13, 2011 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  Flying Spaghetti Monster? Church of The Smashing Orangey Bit? Did I Miss Something? Sam 4 3405 June 15, 2009 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: leo-rcc
  Visiting America, or "the reason I hate commercial flying". leo-rcc 3 2127 February 9, 2009 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Eilonnwy