Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:34 am

Poll: Do you think growing old (or being old) is largely 'good', 'bad', or neutral?
This poll is closed.
Old is good. Smile
14.29%
4 14.29%
Old is terrible Sad
42.86%
12 42.86%
Old is largely the same as young really. Sleepy
10.71%
3 10.71%
I am philosopher, hear me ROAR! Tiny Tiger
32.14%
9 32.14%
Total 28 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old age
Old age
Hmmm... just what do you lot feel about growing old, or being old?

Is it largely positive? Largely negative? Rather neutral? Why do you think so? Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
RE: Old age
Well, I'm 20, but because of my beard, people think I'm older. I'm not particularly worried about old age until I get to the point where I can't get around the house anymore. At any rate, I don't particularly care whether I live for another century or I die before finishing this sentence.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(April 19, 2010 at 9:53 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: Well, I'm 20, but because of my beard, people think I'm older. I'm not particularly worried about old age until I get to the point where I can't get around the house anymore. At any rate, I don't particularly care whether I live for another century or I die before finishing this sentence.

I can see that as being something negative... but there are plenty of good things about being old too Smile
I wish I was immortal at 30 years old.
(April 19, 2010 at 10:07 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: I wish I was immortal at 30 years old.

You are not alone Smile But specifically why do you want to halt your body's degradation? Smile
(April 19, 2010 at 10:11 pm)Saerules Wrote:
(April 19, 2010 at 10:07 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: I wish I was immortal at 30 years old.

You are not alone Smile But specifically why do you want to halt your body's degradation? Smile

why would anyone want to degrade? Christians don't want to die, that's why they invented heaven. i want to be healthy and around forever to be there whether its for displacement of humankind to other planets or the destruction of humankind by natural causes.
(April 19, 2010 at 9:46 pm)Saerules Wrote: Hmmm... just what do you lot feel about growing old, or being old?

Is it largely positive? Largely negative? Rather neutral? Why do you think so? Smile

If I only knew then what I know now....Confused
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
(April 19, 2010 at 10:31 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote:
(April 19, 2010 at 10:11 pm)Saerules Wrote:

why would anyone want to degrade? Christians don't want to die, that's why they invented heaven. i want to be healthy and around forever to be there whether its for displacement of humankind to other planets or the destruction of humankind by natural causes.

I don't know why anyone would want to Smile I'm just curious as to why you do not want to degrade Smile
Old sucks balls.

But it beats the alternative.
(April 19, 2010 at 9:46 pm)Saerules Wrote: Hmmm... just what do you lot feel about growing old, or being old?

Youth is totally wasted on the young.

As I have accumulated decades on this rock I have come to the above conclusion.

Age has it's benefits (see "Grumpy Old Women") you can seriously kick but.

Age has it's drawbacks, e.g. Just when you get the time an money to go do an adventure sport, your body gives out, hormones go on a permanent sabatical, and you find that all that fresh DDT, Asbestos, Diesal, etc you were exposed to as a kid has horrendous consequences as you age.

Looking around today...I definitely DON'T want to live forever. 80 will do just nicely thankyou. Don't want to hang around watching a bunch off whinging, whining halfwits appologising for the fact that life is not the safe bowl of berries they thought / or was told it was.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tell us your age with a picture Foxaèr 74 9235 May 14, 2018 at 2:53 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  As you age, do you find yourself becoming more or less irritable? Foxaèr 48 8407 May 4, 2018 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  What’s your age and butt size J a c k 52 4945 January 27, 2018 at 8:45 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  How Do You Percieve Age? Kernel Sohcahtoa 33 4067 April 27, 2017 at 11:42 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  "Teen"age songs brewer 60 6062 July 27, 2016 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Is age merely a number? OfMiceAndMen 58 7983 March 12, 2014 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: truthBtold
  Age and relationships FallentoReason 40 7443 August 6, 2013 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: Praetorian
  What's your age? Blanca 71 20640 March 30, 2012 at 6:04 pm
Last Post: Diamond
  Average age of posters Diamond 61 7215 November 7, 2011 at 2:39 am
Last Post: Galileo
  In what age did you find out god does not exis? TheReligiousAtheist 28 5669 April 25, 2011 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: theVOID