Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brilliant article - good reading
Brilliant article - good reading
Debunking Christianity by John W. Loftus.  Brilliant. 

{snip}        Sorry, I posted a link when I joined and later learned that I'm too much of a newbie!   
It's in his 2014 07 archives.
"im-calling-for-end-to-philosophy-of"

He's calling for Colleges and Universities to stop offering degrees in Philosophy of Religion, because in most cases, these courses turn into 
Xtian "Theology" . . . which is basically people writing papers and getting degrees for making up stories about what they think they know.
How can you study something that doesn't exist?

I remember working at a summer college program, and one of the Theology students was completing his Master's.  I was assigned to help with his thesis.
He came in with 5 pages about a transcendent prayer experience. It was 5 pages of absolutely hideously-written incomprehensible drivel.  When I 
asked for his bibliography and review of literature, he didn't have either.  I had to argue with his committee head to get him to admit that maybe 
a THEOLOGY Thesis should at least meet the requirements for a decent high-school essay before they give someone a Master's Degree.  (And yes, they
did give that guy his Master's, and yes, the paper was still terrifyingly bad.)  Now, I know that many Theology programs have better standards, but 
so very many are built on the old premise of "nobody needs to be able to read to preach, they just need the call from g-d."  There is still a huge distrust 
of education in the Xtian community.     

I love this quote from the article: "What I seek is liberation from the very idea that any sacred text should be an authority for modem human existence."
Let's stop people from getting advanced degrees by studying their own fantasies! What do you guys think?

Mod edit: just because your link isn't clickable doesn't mean it's not a link.- rexbeccarox
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
RE: Brilliant article - good reading
(July 10, 2015 at 2:48 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: Debunking Christianity by John W. Loftus.  Brilliant. 

{snip}        Sorry, I posted a link when I joined and later learned that I'm too much of a newbie!   

He's calling for Colleges and Universities to stop offering degrees in Philosophy of Religion, because in most cases, these courses turn into 
Xtian "Theology" . . . which is basically people writing papers and getting degrees for making up stories about what they think they know.

I remember working at a summer college program, and one of the Theology students was completing his Master's.  I was assigned to help with his thesis.
He came in with 5 pages about a transcendent prayer experience. It was 5 pages of absolutely hideously-written incomprehensible drivel.  When I 
asked for his bibliography and review of literature, he didn't have either.  I had to argue with his committee head to get him to admit that maybe 
a THEOLOGY Thesis should at least meet the requirements for a decent high-school essay before they give someone a Master's Degree.  (And yes, they
did give that guy his Master's, and yes, the paper was still terrifyingly bad.)  Now, I know that many Theology programs have better standards, but 
so very many are built on the old premise of "nobody needs to be able to read to preach, they just need the call from g-d."  There is still a huge distrust 

I love this quote from the article: "What I seek is liberation from the very idea that any sacred text should be an authority for modem human existence."
Let's stop people from getting advanced degrees by studying their own fantasies! What do you guys think?

I think, since you made the claim there is no God to prove that statement and no I do not need to prove God to you or anyone else, it's you who made the claim there was no God and it's your responsibility to back up your claim.
Also I know a pastor with a nuclear engineering degree. If you say that it's not a requirement to read to be a pastor then how could they possibly teach something they can't read.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(July 10, 2015 at 4:30 pm)Godschild Wrote:
(July 10, 2015 at 2:48 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: Debunking Christianity by John W. Loftus.  Brilliant. 

{snip}       Sorry, I posted a link when I joined and later learned that I'm too much of a newbie!   

I think, since you made the claim there is no God to prove that statement and no I do not need to prove God to you or anyone else, it's you who made the claim there was no God and it's your responsibility to back up your claim.
Also I know a pastor with a nuclear engineering degree. If you say that it's not a requirement to read to be a pastor then how could they possibly teach something they can't read.

GC

Wow, GC. Well, this IS an atheist forum.  Yes, I believe that there is no god, and therefore theology students are studying . . . nothing. That's my opinion.  And I did not say that all pastors are illiterate.  I said that we have a history of illiterate preachers that still has some effect in today's world.  And perhaps I should not have shared my story, because I really intended to share an article that is better thought-out and more erudite than my post.  I hope you enjoyed reading it.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
G-C thinks his repeated failure to provide evidence FOR his delusions means that we have to provide evidence AGAINST them.  I would expect nothing more from an ignorant shit who worships fairy tales.

Nonetheless, having watched him and others fail repeatedly to provide evidence that his god or any god exists I have now reached the conclusion that god is a delusion of the weak-minded.  My offer remains outstanding though.  Produce some evidence for your horseshit and I will look it over.  Until then, god is dead.
(July 10, 2015 at 4:30 pm)Godschild Wrote: I think, since you made the claim there is no God to prove that statement and no I do not need to prove God to you or anyone else, it's you who made the claim there was no God and it's your responsibility to back up your claim.

GC
GC, if you don't want people to believe in God, then making them accept the BOP for you is a good way to do it. Because the attitude of almost everyone is going to be, "Meh. . . what's on TV?" You are the one with a vested interest in the existence of the almighty. You have to prove it-- the consequence being that more and more people will just get bored and walk away from a religion that takes much and offers little.

As for your super-genius, almost-for-sure-not-made-up pastor. . . great. Get him to join this site and explain to us how the God idea is consistent with any of the principles of science.
(July 10, 2015 at 4:30 pm)Godschild Wrote: I think, since you made the claim there is no God to prove that statement and no I do not need to prove God to you or anyone else, it's you who made the claim there was no God and it's your responsibility to back up your claim.

Classic. Prove there's no god. You're allowed to say that you know god is real over and over again, but don't care to prove it, but you demand someone else to prove that there is no god. Nice hypocrisy.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
(July 10, 2015 at 8:30 pm)Salacious B. Crumb Wrote:

Classic. Prove there's no god. You're allowed to say that you know god is real over and over again, but don't care to prove it, but you demand someone else to prove that there is no god. Nice hypocrisy.

When someone advocates that my beliefs should be erased from this earth, then yes one should have to prove I'm wrong not the other way around. It's atheist tactic to say Christians alone need to prove God, because you know you will fail at every turn trying to prove there's no God.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(July 10, 2015 at 8:13 pm)bennyboy Wrote:

GC
GC, if you don't want people to believe in God, then making them accept the BOP for you is a good way to do it.  Because the attitude of almost everyone is going to be, "Meh. . . what's on TV?"  You are the one with a vested interest in the existence of the almighty.  You have to prove it-- the consequence being that more and more people will just get bored and walk away from a religion that takes much and offers little.

As for your super-genius, almost-for-sure-not-made-up pastor. . . great.  Get him to join this site and explain to us how the God idea is consistent with any of the principles of science.

I've answered your first part in the above post. I nor the pastor care whether you believe he's a nuclear engineer. I think I can give you one of his answers, God created all things and is superior to any science we have. The fact that you do not believe in God doesn't change this one little bit.

GC
(July 10, 2015 at 11:31 pm)Godschild Wrote: When someone advocates that my beliefs should be erased from this earth, then yes one should have to prove I'm wrong not the other way around. It's atheist tactic to say Christians alone need to prove God, because you know you will fail at every turn trying to prove there's no God.

GC

I’m sure many people have given you reasons why your beliefs are detrimental to an advancing, civilized society, but we know you haven’t listened to them. It’s not an atheist tactic to get christians to prove there’s a god, it’s a logical request. If you claimed that you died and left your body, traveled somewhere on earth, where you watched an event happen that there would be no way of you knowing what was happening at that specific place and time, and you were able to recount those events, but gave some excuse why you couldn’t, you’d be deemed full of shit (excuse me…crap, I know how you like to focus on a word instead of an argument) You make the claim, you provide the proof. If I made a claim, that god showed me a massive natural disaster that was going to happen sometime between 2018-2022, I’d be asked to write it down specifically what/when/where. Is that not reasonable? Or is that an atheistic tactic? When it happened, I’d procure credibility, and be asked to repeat this multiple times. That would be trying to prove this ability that people claim to have, not hiding behind excuses, and making claims that can’t be disproven. Which brings me to your last sentence. Yeah, it’s impossible to prove something that is unfalsifiable. For now, I’ll stick to absence of evidence and evidence of absence, and listen and laugh at everyone’s contradicting claims of what a god says to them. You know, because your god seems to be quite inattentive to the arguments being made about him, you’d think he’d come clear up this little dilemma that we’re having on earth regarding what’s right and wrong, and what’s true and what’s false, before more people die in his name..but I guess that’s his will. Him, watching people kill is sort of his thing, I guess.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reading List for EgoDeath Belacqua 9 1234 October 16, 2019 at 8:51 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Reading the bible: please help! ignoramus 71 14830 October 8, 2018 at 1:52 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  An Interesting Article on Religious Tolerance AFTT47 3 779 June 25, 2018 at 4:00 am
Last Post: Aroura
  RationalWiki article on Craig. Jehanne 56 17807 September 5, 2017 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Article about clergy who became atheists drfuzzy 38 9439 May 8, 2017 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  So, you're sitting in a tea shop, quietly reading a book... Gawdzilla Sama 70 16877 April 28, 2017 at 2:39 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Essential Reading for Theists (A book recommendation thread) Clueless Morgan 18 4246 July 14, 2015 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Brilliant new apologetic fact FreeTony 106 14705 February 23, 2015 at 12:20 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Article: Would the world be better off without religion? Angrboda 25 5082 January 14, 2015 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Tonus
  tips on reading the Bible DramaQueen 42 9912 August 19, 2014 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: LostLocke