Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question to all Americans: why do you refer to vehicles and ships as "she"?
Question to all Americans: why do you refer to vehicles and ships as "she"?
I've noticed only Americans tend to refer to cars and ships as "she". Why "she"? After all these are inanimate objects, so why the "she" pronoun?
Is it just ignorance or is it something else I don't understand?
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
RE: Question to all Americans: why do you refer to vehicles and ships as "she"?
It's not only Americans.
It's because men think of women as property, ofc.
Hashtag feminism.

Seriously though, if you had a very intelligent robot, wouldn't you refer to it as a he/she, depending on what you would like most to imagine it as? It humanizes something you rely on. It's a natural thing to do, really.
They are expensive and break down a lot?
Because they don't have a wee-wee.

In all seriousness, I don't get it either. I don't name cars or refer to inanimate objects using personal pronouns, except for "it". I don't think it's just America though.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
I found several explanations for this, here's the one I think may be closest:  Ships are referred to in the feminine because they're protective, in the manner of a human mother or a well-disposed goddess.  Your mum keeps you safe from harm, from the elements, and so forth (one source went so far as to call sailing ships 'wooden wombs').  This is reflected in that many private sailors name their boats after important women in their lives.  Referring to other vehicles in the feminine is very likely a case of simple cultural inertia.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 13, 2015 at 2:43 am)excitedpenguin Wrote: It's not only Americans.

Seriously though, if you had a very intelligent robot, wouldn't you refer to it as a he/she, depending on what you would like most to imagine it as? It humanizes something you rely on. It's a natural thing to do, really.

Probably not but so far from all the people I've ever met and/or talked to through the internet only Americans have done that.

I wouldn't. I stick to the grammatical rules. I've named my computer after a pretty boy I used to know but when it comes to pronouns I alway refer to it as an "it", not as a "he". I mean in English. In Bulgarian it's a little different, which if anyone's interested, I could explain.
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
(July 13, 2015 at 3:16 am)Atheist_BG Wrote: I stick to the grammatical rules.

You sound boring!
Grammar is there for us, not the other way around. You can overstep it if you like.
The concept is known as "personification," in which people attribute human characteristics to nonhuman things.  This occurs in many, and perhaps all, cultures.  See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism

For the specific example of ships, the British have used "she" as well, which can be seen from this:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defini...nglish/she

This has been going on for hundreds of years (at least).

Here is an article about this specific topic:

http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2010/12/ships.html

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(July 13, 2015 at 2:37 am)Atheist_BG Wrote: I've noticed only Americans tend to refer to cars and ships as "she". Why "she"? After all these are inanimate objects, so why the "she" pronoun?
Is it just ignorance or is it something else I don't understand?

I think they refer to ships as "she" because they are filled with seamen (semen).

Their cars for similar reasons. they are dirty dirty people. Tongue

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

According to wiki:

"Traditionally ships, even ships named after men such as USS Barry, countries, and oceans have been referred to using the feminine pronouns. The origins of this practice are not certain - it is not, as is sometimes postulated, a remnant of Old English's grammatical gender (in Old English, a ship, or "scip", was neuter, and a boat, or "bāt", was masculine)."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Last night my 10-year old daughter said that she did not believe in God. Jehanne 22 2173 December 26, 2021 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Thumbs Up The downside of electric vehicles. onlinebiker 40 1570 August 17, 2021 at 9:01 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  She's a Killer. onlinebiker 60 3565 January 4, 2021 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Question about all these questions popping up. no one 6 655 September 22, 2020 at 12:26 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Lucky-Assed Americans: What Will You Do with Your $1200? Rhondazvous 22 2748 May 2, 2020 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  How Americans view the British Cod 81 6293 December 26, 2018 at 10:40 am
Last Post: Fireball
  She came back for your cable...... Brian37 11 1288 August 16, 2018 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Unless she changed her username... Foxaèr 7 926 March 1, 2018 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Losty
  Just because She's Topless chimp3 162 17433 January 8, 2018 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  Guys, is she a bit funny in the head? ignoramus 12 2137 December 24, 2017 at 6:51 am
Last Post: GUBU