Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"To Kill A Mockingbird" Author Releases New Book
"To Kill A Mockingbird" Author Releases New Book
Harper Lee has published a new book which is a sequel to her renowned "To Kill A Mockingbird," "Go Set A Watchman" brings back the much loved hero Atticus Finch but presents him as a racist who is opposed to desegregation.

I have never read "To Kill A Mockingbird" and have only seen clips of the film version starring Gregory Peck as Atticus. This has seemed to upset a lot of people. I guess I would be too if Atticus had been one of my favorite literary characters.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."--Thomas Jefferson
RE: "To Kill A Mockingbird" Author Releases New Book
That makes absolutely no sense... unless maybe she's going to reform him back to how he was at the end
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

I never read the book either. I know about it though.

It seems this sequel was written even before Mockingbird. This is fascinating.

I dislike the reference to a bible verse in the title of Go Set a Watchman and also the fact that the author is a Methodist.

I will most likely never read these books.
I, for one, will definitely read it and make up my own mind. To Kill A Mockingbird was one of my very favorite books growing up.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
I'll go pick it up eventually. It's neat that the author wrote it in the same era that she created To Kill A Mockingbird, which was a phenomenal book, but I worry that she may have had good reason for withholding it from the public.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Here is my initial response to the news that Atticus Finch is now a racist:

THE FUCK

To be fair, from what I understand "Go Set a Watchman" was originally written before TKAM was, and, from what I understand, Harper Lee based Atticus on her father, racial opinions and all; apparently, he went through a change of heart about race between the writing of GSAW and TKAM. I hope to Hell Harper Lee made some modifications to GSAW in the intervening 50 years, because if she didn't, this will create serious plot and character holes between the two books.

Also, here's an interesting thought: Doug "The Nostalgia Critic" Walker once made a countdown on his Top 10 favourite characters in all fiction. #1 was a tie between Atticus Finch and Marge Gunderson from Fargo. I wonder how he's taken the news.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
To Kill a Mockingbird isn't just a good book, it's a great book.  But it's an honest one and morally mixed.  It's not about the black experience of racism.  It's about the white experience of racism.  The "good" white people in the book are against mistreating black people.  But that doesn't mean they aren't racist.  And it certainly doesn't make them crusaders for equality. Her characters are ordinary people with the ordinary assumptions of their time and place.  The have their heroic moments but they are not generally heroic.  

Atticus is not a volunteer.  He's appointed to defend a black man accused of rape.  The accusers are poor white trash and no one really believes them, yet the black man is convicted.   All Atticus does is makes the jury think longer about it. 

And the trial is not the be all end all of the book.  Much of it is about a young man hidden away be his family for a minor crime until he is no longer really fit to be outside the house.  Like racism, response to the morality of that situation is muted. No one saves that young man from his family.  Their "right" to imprison their son is unquestioned.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
I like the idea that Atticus is different in the 50s as opposed to the 30s. I haven't read the new release, but as a writer, I'm guessing that the message is that even our hallowed heroes have feet of clay, and are susceptible to downfall.

I'm not sure what to think on this,
To Kill a Mockingbird was not the best book in the world but an honest one. I did think most of the character were intellectually lazy, and there wasn't any real character development but it does draw a good picture of the white experience.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  And people wonder why.I kill these... onlinebiker 51 3065 October 15, 2021 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Kill, then claim Immunity. brewer 12 1027 October 10, 2019 at 4:20 am
Last Post: Cod
  BREAKING: How Egypt tried to kill a "60 Minutes" interview WinterHold 1 399 January 7, 2019 at 8:38 am
Last Post: Brian37
  I just might have to buy this book. brewer 6 566 September 5, 2018 at 8:08 am
Last Post: John V
  Omarosa releases secret tape of Lara Trump offering her $15K-a-month campaign job Aegon 12 1850 August 17, 2018 at 6:27 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Another Day, another derogatory book about Trump. Jehanne 25 2294 August 13, 2018 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  For Comic Book Fans BrianSoddingBoru4 1 751 July 7, 2018 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Israeli forces kill medic, wound 100 protesters in Gaza unrest, Palestinian ministry The Industrial Atheist 151 18106 June 15, 2018 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  "Kill the fetus" ban lifted in Ireland Foxaèr 50 4506 May 28, 2018 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Comey's book basically calls 45 a mafia boss/bully. Brian37 2 452 April 13, 2018 at 10:08 am
Last Post: vorlon13