Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pseudoscience and/is the God Claim
Pseudoscience and/is the God Claim
Pseudoscience:

Quote:A collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

Oxford Dictionaries.com

The hallmarks of pseudoscience are:

Claims that are:  exaggerated; unfalsifiable; or which the holder will not consider as even possibly untrue.

Evidence that is:  based on outdated or non-peer reviewed work; vast conspiracies; negative evidence; or from unrelated fields; quote mining.  And the claimant has no interest in replication or outside evidence.

Refusal to use the scientific method, or claims that it cannot be used regarding the particular claim.
RationalWiki Pseudoscience

How does the god claim compare:

1. It is unfalsifiable.  No experiment can be done to show that there is no god.

2. It is the ultimate exaggeration:  omnipotence.   And yet it's claimed as the only explanation for unexplained phenomenon.

3. Many, many, theists will not consider other possibilities and may even claim that they would continue to believe if confronted with proof that their particular god did not exist.

4. Citing philosophers from the middle ages, the Bible, 19th century historians, known frauds, and quote mining are all par for the course.

5. Claims that the scientific method is inapplicable to god are common.

6. Claims that failure to falsify is proof of truth.

7. Claims that the scientific community, or historians are biased against the god claim.

Score 100% psuedo.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
RE: Pseudoscience and/is the God Claim
[Image: lbP4iQj.gif]
RE: Pseudoscience and/is the God Claim
I can
[Image: o9sin.jpg]
most of your arguments out, do some mental
[Image: o9skw.jpg]
and then I'm
[Image: o9snj.jpg]
again...

Thank You again for taking the time to point out that you cannot brainwash me!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Claim of the Ark being found bankiebert 29 2557 August 9, 2023 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  How I Learned to Love Pseudoscience vulcanlogician 25 3246 October 13, 2021 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Acupunture - pseudoscience? mcolafson 54 11278 December 6, 2016 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  What is a pseudoscience? carusmm 10 1922 May 31, 2016 at 8:51 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Needed: A new sub-subforum: "Skepticism, Pseudoscience & Just Plain Bat Shit Crazy" Whateverist 26 7699 February 16, 2015 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Confused Ape
  Bill Nye on Pseudoscience Tea Earl Grey Hot 0 1128 May 14, 2014 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot
  Science or Pseudoscience? Rayaan 15 5349 July 10, 2012 at 6:27 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Pseudoscience-De-Motivational KichigaiNeko 6 2945 May 23, 2012 at 5:41 am
Last Post: Kayenneh
  Faith healers that claim they can cure cancer. downbeatplumb 23 7398 June 27, 2011 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Darth