Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Faith healers that claim they can cure cancer.
Faith healers that claim they can cure cancer.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/ne...519657.stm

Quote:A group of faith healers who claim they have miracle cures for cancer and HIV have been condemned as "irresponsible, even criminal" by a professor of complementary medicine, following a BBC Newsnight investigation.

The group of healers, collectively known as ThetaHealing, claim that their technique - which focuses on thought and prayer - can teach people to use their natural intuition and "brain wave cycle" to "create instantaneous physical and emotional healing."

ThetaHealing have about 600 practitioners in the UK who charge up to £100 per session.

But the healers' claims have been called "criminal" and "not supported by any kind of evidence" by Edzard Ernst, Professor of Complementary Medicine at the University of Exeter, whose unit not only carry out their own studies but also assess those done by other researchers.

Newsnight recorded Warrington-based ThetaHealing practitioner Jenny Johnstone - who charges £30 for a telephone call or £400 for a course - making a number of claims about the technique, including:

"There was a baby I worked on over the telephone and from one day to the next the cancer in his stomach had just disappeared."

Professor Ernst says such claims are "irresponsible, even criminal".

He believes that the ThetaHealing group try to distinguish themselves from the other 20,000 faith healers in the UK by applying a "veneer of science", but says "it's still nonsense".

'Instant healing'

Repeated clinical trials appear to show that although such faith healing might make people feel better, it does not cure disease. Professor Ernst conducted one such trial which pitched faith healers against actors pretending to be faith healers and found the actors performed better than the healers.

Newsnight tried to speak to Vianna Stibal outside the LSE
One former client of ThetaHealing - who did not wish to be identified - told the BBC that he was "angry and embarrassed" that he had wasted £1,200 on their healing and missed two years of proper medical treatment.

"There was never any suggestion I should go back to my doctor, which is what I needed to do," he told us.

On ThetaHealing's website it says that Vianna Stibal, the American founder of the group, "facilitated her own instant healing from cancer in 1995".

It also says that Ms Stibal conducts seminars around the world to teach people about ThetaHealing, and that she has trained teachers and practitioners who are now working in 14 countries.

Earlier this month, Ms Stibal visited the UK to address a meeting at the London School of Economics (LSE).

At the meeting Ms Stibal responded to a question from an audience member who asked if it was possible for ThetaHealing to make an amputated leg grow back:

"I believe it's possible to grow it back… a lady grew back her ovary... you can grow back a leg. I've seen people grow back," she told attendees.

Some of the 100 people who attended the event told a BBC researcher that they were reassured about the legitimacy of the group by the fact that the meeting was being held at the LSE.

The LSE told Newsnight that ThetaHealing's meeting was a "normal commercial booking".

Further remarks made by Vianna Stibal at the London meeting, whereby she claimed that ThetaHealing could effectively reduce HIV to undetectable levels, have also alarmed Aids charity the Terrence Higgins Trust.

"The fact is we've seen charlatans of this kind all the way through the HIV epidemic," Lisa Power of the Trust told Newsnight. "Those charlatans are more dangerous than ever now that we have effective treatment."

Ms Power worries that some patients could put their lives at risk by delaying taking effective anti-retroviral drugs in favour of pursuing faith healing.

Both Vianna Stibal and Jenny Johnstone refused to answer questions from Newsnight. Ms Johnstone still insists she has healed a baby's stomach cancer, but said there was no point in her trying to prove it because the BBC would not believe her anyway.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: Faith healers that claim they can cure cancer.
Let us chop off their limbs and see them grow their limbs back.
Sad thing about it is that the desperate or gullible ( or both ) will pay them the exhorbitant fees they charge.
I feel the same about faith healers as I do about the catholics maintaining the Lourdes thing, which I regard as one of the cruellest con-tricks ever played on the human race. The terminally ill or people with untreatable conditions having the tantalising yet utterly ludicrous chance of a miracle cure by prayer.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
These people are leeching off the most vulnerable people in our society. Better laws need to be put in place to prosecute assholes like this.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(June 22, 2011 at 3:18 pm)FaithNoMore Wrote: These people are leeching off the most vulnerable people in our society. Better laws need to be put in place to prosecute assholes like this.

I think it might be a little more complicated than that, given that quite a lot of these people genuinely believe that their "treatments" actually have efficacy.
Galileo was a man of science oppressed by the irrational and superstitious. Today, he is used by the irrational and superstitious who claim they are being oppressed by science - Mark Crislip
(June 25, 2011 at 4:07 am)lilphil1989 Wrote:
(June 22, 2011 at 3:18 pm)FaithNoMore Wrote: These people are leeching off the most vulnerable people in our society. Better laws need to be put in place to prosecute assholes like this.

I think it might be a little more complicated than that, given that quite a lot of these people genuinely believe that their "treatments" actually have efficacy.

If they did then they wouldn't charge like they do.

If I thought that I had the power to cure cancer I'd take a run down every oncology ward in my city and then every other city in my country, security be damned. (And I wouldn't be afraid of sticking around in the same city for a long period of time (After the feel-good effect has worn off and they are as bad as they always were, perhaps worse after having thrown away their medication/refused real medical treatment)). I wouldn't start a business (You wouldn't need to, just one millionaire with cancer would do it). They know it's a scam. They are the scam artists.

Yes, there are scam artists. There are also plenty of faith healers who don't have a business and don't charge for their "treatments"

Galileo was a man of science oppressed by the irrational and superstitious. Today, he is used by the irrational and superstitious who claim they are being oppressed by science - Mark Crislip
Ah, point taken, well then they aren't scam artists, just people delusional as the people seeking healing yes (To be fair everyone was talking of the fee's and the ripping off of gullible sufferers). Having said that you don't need to be raking in money to be receiving a reward, some people might get a rush out of it.

Spose its the ones running the courses who are the scam artists and the ones who take the courses are the scammed.
(June 25, 2011 at 4:07 am)lilphil1989 Wrote: I think it might be a little more complicated than that, given that quite a lot of these people genuinely believe that their "treatments" actually have efficacy.

Yes, but I couldn't sell Tylenol by claiming it cures Alzheimer's no matter how much I believed it. A valid belief in a cure should not be legal grounds to claim it works. Alleged cures for diseases need to have documented benefits to be peddled to the sick, regardless of whether it's being charged for or not. I know some of these faith healers can give desperate people hope in dark times, but to me, false hope is no hope at all.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/articl...77,00.html
Trying to update my sig ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Claim of the Ark being found bankiebert 29 2722 August 9, 2023 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  If Videos and Testimony Prove Faith Healing Why Not Chee? Jenny A 3 634 March 12, 2018 at 9:18 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Mehmet is making TV show about faith healing Fake Messiah 14 2555 September 21, 2017 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Bleach cure claims another victim Doubting Thomas 17 2116 October 30, 2016 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  "The Truth About Cancer" BlackBird 24 7721 October 19, 2015 at 11:37 pm
Last Post: Aractus
  Pseudoscience and/is the God Claim Jenny A 2 1835 July 16, 2015 at 4:22 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Baking Soda Cure? Tea Earl Grey Hot 18 3457 May 17, 2014 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Coffee Jesus
  New Quackery Alert: Root Canals Cause CANCER! No_God 3 2903 February 25, 2014 at 10:42 am
Last Post: Bittersmart
  Quack stealing money from cancer sufferers Fidel_Castronaut 6 2544 June 5, 2013 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Cancer Cure? catfish 14 4076 March 30, 2013 at 1:55 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger