Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can an atheist be ethical like theists
Can an atheist be ethical like theists
For stater the sense of morality has been rationalized in older societies by a religious foundations and with the absence of these foundations what is forbidding people from being unethical? what is the determinant for right and wrong if not relegion ?
RE: Can an athiest be ethical like thiests
Morality doesn't come from religion. It comes from the evolved human tendencies toward cooperation, empathy, and the avoidance of suffering. An individual's morality comes from a combination of personal world view and social influences. Those who think it's from religion simply do not understand this process.

In short, what stops me from raping and killing is the fact that I don't want those things done to me, therefore it stands to reason that I shouldn't do them to other people. I wouldn't want to, for that matter, because inflicting that kind of suffering is reprehensible to me.
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com
Holy fucking shit. Not again.

I am so effing sick of these threads.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Can theists learn to spell? It's "theist" and "atheist" not "thiest" and "athiest", goddamit!
Tongue
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
Quote:Can an athiest be ethical like thiests

I suppose we could go out and commit a few atrocities and be just like you assholes.
I can't be the Islamic type of ethical, that's for sure. I like women, I love teh gays, I like free speech.

Hardly compatible.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Most of us are ethical DESPITE our religious upbringings

As are many theists.
Dying to live, living to die.
(July 15, 2015 at 7:49 pm)Redbeard The Pink Wrote: Morality doesn't come from religion. It comes from the evolved human tendencies toward cooperation, empathy, and the avoidance of suffering. An individual's morality comes from a combination of personal world view and social influences. Those who think it's from religion simply do not understand this process.

In short, what stops me from raping and killing is the fact that I don't want those things done to me, therefore it stands to reason that I shouldn't do them to other people. I wouldn't want to, for that matter, because inflicting that kind of suffering is reprehensible to me.
Well you can search the word ethics and read in wikipedia by example that ethics came from relegion even in ancient egypt.

As for that point if you don't like somthing being done to u .........etc
That's also a comes from relegion but let us assume it is just logic and common sense no more then that means that your understanding of ethics will evolve with the society development and according to what we see these days it is in bad direction not good one.
In human nature people never assume that somthing is bad unless it hurts someone else so robbing a bank which is a public Institute wont be that bad for example because ur not hurting anyone.

(July 15, 2015 at 8:04 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Can an athiest be ethical like thiests

I suppose we could go out and commit a few atrocities and be just like you assholes.
You r missing the whole point if someone is doing something bad in the name of something it doesn't mean he is representing it by example many countries were invaded by the name of democracy that doesn't mean that democracy is a bad thing.

(July 15, 2015 at 8:00 pm)Homeless Nutter Wrote: Can theists learn to spell? It's "theist" and "atheist not "thiest"and "athiest", goddamit!
[emoji14]
Sorry I guess
Very valid point and really useful in our discussion[emoji14] [emoji14]
RE: Can an atheist be ethical like theists
Fine, then - I'll contribute to the "discussion".

I'll have you know that living in constant fear of punishment from an invisible tyrant is not necessary for ethics. All that is needed is being able to feel human emotions and some common sense.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(July 15, 2015 at 8:22 pm)Beccs Wrote: Most of us are ethical DESPITE our religious upbringings

As are many theists.
Well I know that's not an accusation it is just if development of the western society is going for a society without a relegion then would that society be able to make people abide to its laws without any relegious foundations.

For example someone wont lie just because it's a bad thing but if he can escape some punishment he will and nothing bad would happen to him as there is no afterlife and so.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can Atheist be objectively moral in the case of a possible follower of an infallible? Mystic 58 14358 July 23, 2015 at 10:46 am
Last Post: TubbyTubby