Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hear me out on this
Hear me out on this
This is more of a highly educated conclusion. Saying that we are the only living beings out there would be some what ignorant. 
We have detected earth like planets we could colonize but even still the problem arises they are so far away we can see the planet
but the light coming back to us is really old. So there comes to problem what if we get there and remember the light is really old mind you
and there is some type of being intelligent beings or wild life. That would be interesting considering what if they are just like us.
They are on the other side scoping our planet out like hey there is a planet we could settle down on since there is no life on there.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
RE: Hear me out on this
It takes literally billions of years from solar system formation to evolution of complex life. Even if intelligent life is very common, any such life in our vicinity is extremely unlikely to be anywhere close to the same level of development as us. Even within a million years would be lucky. So intelligent aliens are extremely likely to be either cavemen or more likely, advanced to the point where they would seem like gods. Two civilizations at the same level would likely be separated by so much distance, they would never meet - never mind contend over a planet.

The whole idea of needing planets to colonize is a bit antiquated, imo. The physicist Gerrard K. O'Neil did a study on this in the 70s and concluded that planets are not well-suited as bases for technological civilizations. Orbital space colonies can be built with any simulated gravity you want, no gravity well to escape from and limitless solar power. Asteroids are more likely to be valued by a space-going civilizations because they contain all the resources needed for building such colonies. And systems with asteroids are probably not in short supply. Our own solar system contains the resources needed to build huge numbers of space colonies with a cumulative living area thousands of times greater than Earth''s surface.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
We could and should colonize space seeing how much damage we caused to the planet but the thing is money would be an issue.

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
We need a pinned thread for the Fermi Paradox. It just keeps coming up.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(July 19, 2015 at 2:02 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: We need a pinned thread for the Fermi Paradox.  It just keeps coming up.

Hmm i shall ask a moderator 

Average not powerful forum user away!

Code:
(July 19, 2015 at 2:00 pm)dyresand Wrote: We could and should colonize space seeing how much damage we caused to the planet but the thing is money would be an issue.

-only until we got up there and realized that we had what amounted to a practically infinite amount of raw material work with.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 19, 2015 at 2:03 pm)dyresand Wrote:
(July 19, 2015 at 2:02 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: We need a pinned thread for the Fermi Paradox.  It just keeps coming up.

Hmm i shall ask a moderator 

Average not powerful forum user away!

Make sure you spell everything correctly.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Oh,

never mind . . . . . . . .

(July 19, 2015 at 2:04 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(July 19, 2015 at 2:00 pm)dyresand Wrote: We could and should colonize space seeing how much damage we caused to the planet but the thing is money would be an issue.

-only until we got up there and realized that we had what amounted to a practically infinite amount of raw material work with.

Considering there is areas in the solar system to which we could easily get raw materials like Saturn's rings, Neptune's rings, even raw material on mars.
Technically speaking we could build a death star all kidding and jokes aside we could build one from all the raw material on earth and still have a bunch left over.

Code:
(July 19, 2015 at 2:04 pm)Rhythm Wrote:

The problem is getting to it in the first place. If all the nations of the world contributed to a common effort to build a space-based infrastructure, we could do it. It's just an awfully expensive proposition for anyone going at it alone. And then there is the total lack of vision of the people who control the money.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What did I hear? ( not sure where to post this) Manowar 25 2996 September 21, 2016 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: ohreally
  Question for Atheists: Is coming out as an atheist as hard as coming out as gay? Blackrook 46 11946 May 2, 2015 at 2:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Ever hear a christian say something so stupid.(Horror stories here) Lemonvariable72 83 22956 September 26, 2013 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72