Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theists i want a quick forum chat with you
Theists i want a quick forum chat with you
I'll start it off 

Satan isn't evil nor bad. In the bible he has done nothing really to show he is bad he showed
some what of a good side considering he didn't want jesus to die on a roman crucifixion. To start it off
with genesis god actually lied to adam and eve the serpent told the truth and god cursed humanity.
Note why would god curse humanity? if god told the truth they would have died were they stood but
the serpent told the truth while god simply lied.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
RE: Theists i want a quick forum chat with you
(July 22, 2015 at 11:07 am)dyresand Wrote: I'll start it off 

Satan isn't evil nor bad. In the bible he has done nothing really to show he is bad he showed
some what of a good side considering he didn't want jesus to die on a roman crucifixion. To start it off
with genesis god actually lied to adam and eve the serpent told the truth and god cursed humanity.
Note why would god curse humanity? if god told the truth they would have died were they stood but

Huh?

I like how you guys try to discuss the bile with out having actually having read the bible.

God said the day they eat thereof THAT DAY they will die.
Quote:For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night. - Psalm 90:4

But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. - 2 Peter 3:8

Adam lived to be 930 just short of what God counts as a day.

The serpent however stated that they wouldn't die period... so now who's the liar?
(July 22, 2015 at 12:41 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: I like how you guys try to discuss the bile with out having actually having read the bible.

Bile is an apt description.

If you view the Bible as a whole, then Satan is identified as a liar and murderer by Jesus in John 8:44. In Revelation 12:9 he is said to "lead the whole world astray." The NT links Satan to the serpent and specifically blames him for leading people away from god and towards their doom, which he will eventually share. He is the main bad guy in the Bible, since much of the wickedness in the OT can be laid at his feet in some manner or other.

If you view the Bible as a lot of different stories that were eventually mashed together to form an imperfect whole, then it is more ambiguous because the serpent may simply be a serpent and the Satan from the book of Job does not act without god's consent, and could be considered an agent of god or a counselor of sorts. When he urges god to stop protecting Job, god does so instead of telling Satan to shove off. At the end there is no indication that anything at all happens to Satan; his part in the whole drama is done and he goes his merry way. The NT authors sought to provide a more substantial villain for their narrative, and I guess the best they could come up with was a fallen angel who would get a shot at god after he almost completely "de-powered" himself but who was otherwise no longer a threat.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Soo.. All that Satan did to Job, was what 'good' in your world?

Remember All God did was lift the protection Job had under him. It was Satan who decided to kill Job's family and take everything he had and strike him down with sores... Satan did not have to go that way. In the beginning of the story Satan points out that Job only followed God because God gave Him so much.. If Satan believed that Job could be bought why did he take everything away?

Looks like you are guilty of not thinking things through dry sand.. again.
(July 22, 2015 at 1:56 pm)Tonus Wrote:

If you view the Bible as a whole, then Satan is identified as a liar and murderer by Jesus in John 8:44.  In Revelation 12:9 he is said to "lead the whole world astray."  The NT links Satan to the serpent and specifically blames him for leading people away from god and towards their doom, which he will eventually share.  He is the main bad guy in the Bible, since much of the wickedness in the OT can be laid at his feet in some manner or other.

If you view the Bible as a lot of different stories that were eventually mashed together to form an imperfect whole, then it is more ambiguous because the serpent may simply be a serpent and the Satan from the book of Job does not act without god's consent, and could be considered an agent of god or a counselor of sorts.  When he urges god to stop protecting Job, god does so instead of telling Satan to shove off.  At the end there is no indication that anything at all happens to Satan; his part in the whole drama is done and he goes his merry way.  The NT authors sought to provide a more substantial villain for their narrative, and I guess the best they could come up with was a fallen angel who would get a shot at god after he almost completely "de-powered" himself but who was otherwise no longer a threat.
This is why i say satan isn't bad. 

He gave human being choice (I.E. gave us the gift of freewill) - going with the satan is the serpent (going further if they didn't eat the apple they would no free will)
Going further jesus more than likely along with god or you know trinity being never wanted humans to have choice at all in the first place. 

1. things he did for us in genesis 
a. clothes
b. knowledge of good and evil

2. He gave up his place in heaven so that another my take his place - The bible is really keen on heaven can get full. 

3. Kill count 10 people (god made him do it (Story of Job))

4. The bible doesn't show the devil really as a deceiver but just over and over calling him one. (again the gift of free will and told the truth about the fruit)

5. Satan unlike god is humble and doesn't require petty worship unlike god who loves a good ego stroking 

6. He asks jesus to bow down to him as a invitation to use logic and reason to show what he is about to do won't change anything. 

7. Satan believe it or not, He cares more about human beings and their well being than god does. So satan goes to jesus who was in the desert and tells him 
you need to eat something. (if the devil was so bad he would have done something bad but no he didn't)

8. Satan again doesn't take sides in wars, neither does he tell us to hate and the only thing he pretty much told us to do was think. (god falls on the opposite spectrum of this he want's human beings to be ignorant and have wars and hate.)

9. god uses satan as a scape goat. When god has his famous fuck ups guess who gets to be blamed Satan. And god doesn't stand up for his own fuck ups so he lie. All in all god is juvenile.

10. Satan his the hero everyone needs but doesn't want. For all the good that he has done it get overlooked only because people say he is evil because god says so. 
My closing argument, Satan isn't bad neither evil he is good people are just to ignorant to see that.  (Not saying i believe in Satan still a athiest but as a fictional character
i do respect him) but looking at it over god is more of the bad guy in the bible. god is just so damn obvious and i don't get why can't people see it.

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(July 22, 2015 at 2:22 pm)Drich Wrote: Soo.. All that Satan did to Job, was what 'good' in your world?
i just answered that. Also it was a petty bet

Code:
(July 22, 2015 at 2:22 pm)Drich Wrote: Soo.. All that Satan did to Job, was what 'good' in your world?

Remember All God did was lift the protection Job had under him. [...]

Uhm... While we're at it? Why does omnipotent God have to prove anything to Satan - his creation, again? Looks like a bitch move to me. Basically - it looks like God and Satan are equal. Except Satan never seems to have the need to explain himself to God. Is God the bottom in that relationship?

I think he is...
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
^Also satan never really said go fight or kill anyone or even taught hatred of any kind.

Code:
(July 22, 2015 at 2:46 pm)dyresand Wrote: This is why i say satan isn't bad.
If you go by the idea that the Bible is a single, unified work, then he does bad things. He deceives, he seeks opportunities to hurt people and then takes full advantage, he tries to derail god's plan to redeem mankind and drag as many people to damnation with him as he can.

He is equal parts Pandora and Loki. He unlocks the gateway to hell and then tries to usher people in, realizing from the start that his own fate has been sealed. In that sense he's kind of like a Bond villain. You know, the quirky billionaire who hatches the brilliant idea of causing the world to blow up in the hopes of earning a few million dollars. Not the best thought out plans, all in all. But he's a flawed character in a book that is all about flawed characters. Few of the characters in the Bible come away unscathed.

It'd be a very fun landscape to develop further, if people weren't so touchy about it.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evangelicals, Trump and a Quick Bible Study DeistPaladin 52 4645 November 9, 2020 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  didnt want to necropost: what completing the law means. Drich 18 1287 May 12, 2020 at 10:51 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  [Serious] What would you want in a church tackattack 44 3706 March 11, 2019 at 10:10 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Theists - I want to know what you think LadyForCamus 77 10213 May 14, 2018 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why does my family want me to be christian so much? Der/die AtheistIn 17 2761 March 29, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Priest publicly wishes for Pope's quick death... c172 18 4807 March 22, 2018 at 1:10 am
Last Post: c172
  Reason why aliens coming here will want to kill us Fake Messiah 20 6143 October 11, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Which denominations have you spotted on this forum? Fake Messiah 87 14432 August 19, 2017 at 10:14 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why do Christians want to go to Heaven? Fake Messiah 52 19094 June 28, 2017 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Astonished
  What do i do im surrounded by christians and they want to change me? Asyrel 35 5037 November 10, 2016 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: dyresand