Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Faith-healing choice hurt child
Faith-healing choice hurt child
You would think that some people would have just a smidge more intelligence. Just a smidge.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/20...rial_n.htm
Don’t ask.

Atheist
I Evolved!
RE: Faith-healing choice hurt child
(May 28, 2011 at 10:32 am)Diamond Wrote: You would think that some people would have just a smidge more intelligence. Just a smidge.

If they're indoctrinated into "faith healing", then they can't see otherwise. Except, 1 of 1000 of them may one day realize, and leave. But that's too few.
P.S. There's another way to look to such things than arrogantly (i.e. "look how stupid they are!!"):
They are victims of indoctrination. And if you had been indoctrinated since little into their religion, you would have been just like them. (unless, one day, maybe, you could have started to see, and start passing through the very unpleasant period of apostating).
I wasn't saying they were stupid because they chose not to seek medical treatment because of their beliefs. I was saying they were stupid for not seeking medical treatment after seeing others get put behind bars for similar reasons.
Don’t ask.

Atheist
I Evolved!
(May 28, 2011 at 1:41 pm)Zenith Wrote: P.S. There's another way to look to such things than arrogantly (i.e. "look how stupid they are!!"):
They are victims of indoctrination. And if you had been indoctrinated since little into their religion, you would have been just like them. (unless, one day, maybe, you could have started to see, and start passing through the very unpleasant period of apostating).

I disagree. I think they are stupid. I think at some point, one becomes old enough to consider the indoctrination they have received from childhood and overcome it. The love of a child alone often is enough.

Nope. I think they're stupid stupid people who deserve to fry! I don't let the Muslims off the hook - I'm not letting these assholes off the hook either.

Quote:In the past two years, Clackamas County has prosecuted two other couples from the same church whose children died from untreated ailments.

Yeah, FRY EM!
[Image: Evolution.png]

I did not say that they are not stupid, I know they are. I said that they are victims of indoctrination.

Cinjin Cain Wrote:I think at some point, one becomes old enough to consider the indoctrination they have received from childhood and overcome it
The problem with the indoctrination is not that "you were taught like this by your parents when you were little" but that you still live in that church, where there are not the parents those who check on you, but everyone else you know. I'll try to explain, perhaps you will get an idea about what I'm talking about: it is like an inner circle, where people within don't communicate with the outside world (well, they have jobs and go to school, but it's strictly professional, they do not involve in activities with the outsiders), and they get involved in activities only with the other members of the church, and constantly receive and are imposed (through manipulation, etc.) the same doctrine. So it's a big difference between having been taught something when you were child, and living permanently in the same world for 40+ years, where all you know is what they tell you, where all you have is what they offer to you, where you are made strictly dependent on them, and any initiative to do something different or to believe something different is regarded as a blasphemy by them (so you fear attempting anything).

About what I said in the previous post, I meant that people usually consider themselves superior to other people and say "ha ha ha, look what stupid they are, and how smart we are!", as if, for the smart ones, it's all their own merit for how they are, and as if the indoctrinated had the exactly same chances to develop.

Quote:I think they're stupid stupid people who deserve to fry!
And I thought I was sadistic. Anyway, I don't agree with burning them on the stake.
I believe that how they are (the guys mentioned in the news) is... incurable. So, if you can't help them... well not to be sadistic, let's say the modern version: prison for life.

Anyway, I'm sure they regard themselves as martyrs or something for suffering 'injustice', for suffering for keeping the laws of God or something, so by this method - punishing them - there is little probability for them to change. But let's be optimistic!
(May 28, 2011 at 6:24 pm)Zenith Wrote:
Quote:I think they're stupid stupid people who deserve to fry!
And I thought I was sadistic. Anyway, I don't agree with burning them on the stake.
I believe that how they are (the guys mentioned in the news) is... incurable. So, if you can't help them... well not to be sadistic, let's say the modern version: prison for life.

Anyway, I'm sure they regard themselves as martyrs or something for suffering 'injustice', for suffering for keeping the laws of God or something, so by this method - punishing them - there is little probability for them to change. But let's be optimistic!

yeah I didn't mean literally fry them. Just an expression. Thumb up
[Image: Evolution.png]

(May 28, 2011 at 10:32 am)Diamond Wrote: You would think that some people would have just a smidge more intelligence. Just a smidge.

I don't know why you'd make that assumption, though. Theists prove their stupidity every day somewhere in the world. All the money the silly bastards "saved" by not taking their kid to a doctor went to defense lawyers instead.
Random thought...

"Population Control"?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Given enough time, one might see evolutionary pressures come into play. Those that rely on "faith healing" will in time have less children to pass on their genes than those who do not. (If you ascribe to "Social Darwinism," then they will have less children to pass on their beliefs, faiths, and values, as well.)

That also goes for homeopathy. Works about as well as faith healing. (Actually, homeopathy does have documentable successes that faith healing does not. For example, homeopathic remedies will revive wilting plants and slake thirst. Homeopathic remedies will resolve dehydration.)

Burning them at the steak seems a waste of a good steak. Oh, you wrote "stake." It's a waste of a good stake, too.

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pastors losing faith (Vice) Fake Messiah 1 230 January 14, 2019 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Man Comes Out As A Child Molester To Oppose Gay Rights Heat 0 687 January 14, 2016 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: Heat
  Don't leave your child in the car to Cook. brewer 43 5720 August 2, 2015 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Child Witch Hunter passionatefool 16 5055 March 8, 2012 at 8:24 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  The End of Faith by Sam Harris Justtristo 1 1568 May 28, 2011 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: Zenith
  derren brown on faith healing. one to watch. downbeatplumb 2 2299 April 19, 2011 at 10:30 am
Last Post: lilphil1989
  I believe, I have faith in evilution Justtristo 9 2029 December 29, 2010 at 7:37 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Going to Hell is your choice! tavarish 14 3898 May 16, 2010 at 5:01 am
Last Post: leo-rcc
  Richard Dawkins on Faith Schools Darwinian 1 1344 February 21, 2010 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  Documentary covering the religious child abuse of a girl. Tiberius 3 1933 March 15, 2009 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: Rob