Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 7:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are there religious figures you respect?
Are there religious figures you respect?
Either clergy or just a person who is openly religious. I can think of a few but I'll let others post their favorites first.
RE: Are there religious figures you respect?
Yeah. I respect a lot of religious figures. Mother Teresa, the most recent incarnation of the Dalai Lama... not so many American public figures, but my parents' priest is a good guy.

I don't not respect them because they do good in the name of religion. That being said, it makes me sad to look at people like this and think how much better it would be if they did these things not because of religion but because of humanity, how much better it would be if this was a world where you could touch so many peoples' lives, inspire so many people to charity and love, become famous as a paragon of virtue without having to do it in the name of a god.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
I respect Mabel Pines. I think she's God.

But seriously, I like the Lama too. A friend of my dad's became a Buddhist saying it was the only religion that never started a holy war, which may or may not be true, but it seems the least violent of the major five by a wide margin. Also there's go God in Buddhism.
There are no religious figures I respect, for I do not respect religion.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Of course!! The high priest of bacon deserves to be revered
Anyone that is the polar opposite of David Miscavige.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
I have respect for any theist who supports religious belief (or lack of) being an entirely personal matter, and who is against indoctrination.

I can't think of any specific famous figures, but anyone who meets the above would do.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
A former boyfriend of mine joined a religious order and spent the rest of his life helping people who were terminally ill. I considered it a good 'fit' for him when I learned of what he actually did. His 'function' would have been more in a practical vein, helping with Dr. appointments, running errands, doing housekeeping and laundry, filling pill caddies, etc. I don't picture him as proselytizing the infirm (or their families), he never tried anything along those lines with me when we were dating, despite our obvious different takes on faith even back then.

When I first heard about his career change, I pictured him chanting in a remote monastery and choking on incense. I was confused and puzzled till I found out what he really did. I might even have been a 'vessel' for him to perceive as what is referred to as a 'calling' to go do what he did. I'm not really annoyed with that aspect of it.

I can also imagine he might have dedicated his efforts to the sick in some part due to knowing Brian.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Yeah, if people are doing what I consider to be good things, I don't directly care about exactly why they are doing them.

My concern however is that if there are bad reasons behind it (such as blindly following orders, or simply scoring brownie points) then it's more likely the person may flip in the future, for other bad reasons, or if the orders/incentives change.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I can't think of any public ones that I respect, but I'm certain there are religious figures that perform sincere acts of selflessness, courage, or kindness that I think would make them deserving of respect as a person.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Do We Respect Other People's Beliefs? Rhondazvous 93 18078 September 10, 2015 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Have you had experiences you'd describe as sacred, mystical and/or religious? Whateverist 62 13022 August 30, 2014 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Have you had experiences you'd describe as sacred, spiritual and/or religious? Whateverist 0 1373 August 19, 2014 at 9:49 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  How come people who are either hindus or buddhists respect Monotheism Richi1 0 862 December 27, 2013 at 7:18 am
Last Post: Richi1
  Religious moderates enable religious extremists worldslaziestbusker 82 32812 October 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Optimistic Mysanthrope
  Fundamentalists and Biblical Inerrantists Don't Respect the Bible MindForgedManacle 3 1762 October 20, 2013 at 12:09 am
Last Post: Polaris
  Should we respect Religion? Gooders1002 49 20217 February 10, 2013 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: ManMachine
  How I respect Theists Gooders1002 12 4378 January 10, 2013 at 2:46 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  why i respect muslims more than christians zentor 14 7965 June 21, 2012 at 5:35 am
Last Post: jupitor
  how to respect without praying jackman 20 9994 April 16, 2012 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: jackman