Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Do We Respect Other People's Beliefs?
Theists often complain that we don't respect their beliefs. I've found that they often want a lot more respect than they're willing to give. So let's explore this question. What does it mean to respect someone's beliefs and why should we?

How can you respect it when another person’s paradigm for thinking is so different from your own that you can’t even get into a discussion about it that doesn’t turn into an argument?

How does a theist say he respects other’s beliefs when at the same time he believes those others are the enemies of his god and on their way to hell?

How does an atheist respect the beliefs of theists when those beliefs are not based on any algorithm of thought which the atheist respects?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: How Do We Respect Other People's Beliefs?
(September 7, 2015 at 11:00 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: Theists often complain that we don't respect their beliefs.  I've found that they often want a lot more respect than they're willing to give. So let's explore this question. What does it mean to respect someone's beliefs and why should we?

Simple rule of thumb for me. If they don't pester me, I don't pester them. I don't go out, finding me some theists to rub my disbelief in their faces. But I expect the same courtesy in return.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Anything less than complete reverence is not going to be enough. The religions are based on complete authoritarianism, and anything less than complete obedience is evil. That's why some christians feel persecuted when the people they're pushing down start to push back.

As far as respect goes, it's hard to respect the beliefs themselves, but you can respect the other person's right to have them. You can get all the fuzzy feelings you want from your god, as long as you don't interfere with what other people do. It's the core of why killing, stealing, raping, and such are wrong. You're interfering with someone else's life in a harmful way. Think whatever you want. Do whatever you want. Just don't mess with other people, and we can all get along.

Unfortunately religion commands you to get in people's faces, which makes it highly divisive.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

"Beliefs" is a slippery word. Often a person will conflate the subject of their beliefs with the right to have them, and will leap happily between the two as it suits them. Dolphinetics at its purest (I am determined to make that a real thing!)
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Ideas don't deserve respect. Don't bother me about mine, I'll leave yours alone.
If someone gives me a reason to respect their beliefs I will. My default position is that respect is earned and not given.

No belief is inherently 'worth' anything.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
I'd say respecting someone's beliefs means not trying to force yours onto them, and to leave them to make their own decisions as long as they aren't hurting anyone in the process. No one has the duty to say that someone's beliefs are sensible or "respectable", though. It's more to do with recognizing boundaries.

If someone believes that they are the righteous hand of god and they must kill everyone they see, whether or not I respect that belief is irrelevant, I'm going to try and stop them. If they want their unscientific beliefs taught in science class, I'm going to block their efforts.

It may be necessary to override someone's beliefs for their own benefit, for example they believe cars won't hurt them and they run out in front of them.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
If they try and pull out a reason like hell and why i should believe i tell them no that's pretty much stupid. If they do not bother me with their beliefs it's fine.
However their religion i do not respect but their beliefs as long as they keep it to themselves i'm okay.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
If you don't believe in king Jesus then you are persecuting the Christians.
My question is why the hell do you care?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 10896 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  What is a theist other then the basic definition? Quill01 4 706 August 1, 2022 at 11:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  How often do your beliefs change? Ahriman 37 2739 January 23, 2022 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  forbidding people to love each other Fake Messiah 210 23096 September 16, 2021 at 1:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Flat Earther, and other conspiracy theories. Are they mostly atheists? Ferrocyanide 95 6149 April 26, 2021 at 3:56 am
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2
  "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me" ignoramus 121 20520 March 5, 2021 at 6:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  My views on religious doctrine and beliefs robvalue 9 958 October 2, 2018 at 7:06 am
Last Post: Cod
  Proof of Jesus through Personal testimony. Christianity over other faiths orthodox-man 46 8171 January 29, 2018 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Why do some moderates get so attached to other believers? Der/die AtheistIn 4 1246 December 19, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  I had a religious experience the other night I_am_not_mafia 34 5381 November 22, 2017 at 9:44 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet