Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Do You Get Over Death?
How Do You Get Over Death?
This question is obviously directed towards my fellow atheists, hence why it is in the Atheism Sub Forum.

Anyway, how did you get over the thought of dying? After the huge support structure called "Religion" was taken away from your life, how did you get over the thought of everything you have ever done having no effect on the Universe as a whole. Or everything ever done by anyone is going to be completely destroyed by the inevitable heat death of the Universe.

Personally I feel that, because of all of our fates, it makes life even more precious. This took me a while to understand, but hopefully most of you do.

I wanted to know if our reasons matched up or differed.

Thanks!
RE: How Do You Get Over Death?
Interesting question.

Lurker
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
You might want to search for old threads, as this gets brought up over and over.

In my opinion, death is not a problem at all.  Was the year 1800 bad for you?  That is what the year 2200 will be like for you.  As Epicurus put it:

Quote:Accustom yourself to believing that death is nothing to us, for good and evil imply the capacity for sensation, and death is the privation of all sentience; therefore a correct understanding that death is nothing to us makes the mortality of life enjoyable, not by adding to life a limitless time, but by taking away the yearning after immortality. For life has no terrors for him who has thoroughly understood that there are no terrors for him in ceasing to live. Foolish, therefore, is the man who says that he fears death, not because it will pain when it comes, but because it pains in the prospect. Whatever causes no annoyance when it is present, causes only a groundless pain in the expectation. Death, therefore, the most awful of evils, is nothing to us, seeing that, when we are, death is not come, and, when death is come, we are not. It is nothing, then, either to the living or to the dead, for with the living it is not and the dead exist no longer.

http://www.epicurus.net/en/menoeceus.html

I honestly do not care that I will cease to exist.  Nothing bad could possibly happen to something that does not exist.  Bad things only happen to things that exist.

For the rest of your life, it is only while you are still alive, that bad things can happen to you.  Once you are dead, there is nothing to worry about.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
I'm expecting that once I'm dead I won't be trying get over anything. I'll just be over, done, kaput.
I never had religion so I never had a crutch. I've never come to terms with mortality. Just have to deal with it.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
As Jim Jeffries says...

http://tinypic.com/m/ilgjyf/4
Yep, can't be trying to get over anything .. BECAUSE I'LL BE FUCKIN' DEAD.
I don't know about the rest of you twits here, but I've left my mark on the fucking universe, and it ain't never gonna be the same.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_information

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

This reminds me of a poem that I like. It's by W.H. Auden:

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young
The rolling-in-money,The screamingly funny
And those who are very well hung

There are only a few matters in our existence in which we have absolutely no control or say in. Death is one of those matters. We can control how and when to some degree, but the if is a guarantee. I accept the fact that I won't be here one day, because there's simply no other choice.
(August 4, 2015 at 10:10 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: You might want to search for old threads, as this gets brought up over and over.
 Like I have said before, I always search before I start a thread, however I can never find what I am looking for. Do you have any tips for searching, because it has never worked for me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What topics surrounding religion get you riled up? Figbash 19 1960 September 4, 2019 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: Lek
  How do I get over that "feeling" that god exists? IanHulett 64 11445 May 3, 2015 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  does death scare you and why? dyresand 94 11638 November 2, 2014 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Do you find meaning in suffering and death? If so, what? Mudhammam 9 2347 July 24, 2014 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Violet
  One final attempt to get one over on you. Whateverist 25 6094 March 1, 2014 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  One final attempt to try and get through to you guys JesusLover1 153 17082 March 1, 2014 at 2:23 pm
Last Post: Mr. Moncrieff
  Can being an atheist in America get you killed? Cyberman 7 3621 March 18, 2012 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  How did you come to terms with Death? Eternity 37 17902 June 8, 2011 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: Faith No More