Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 9:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What topics surrounding religion get you riled up?
What topics surrounding religion get you riled up?
I have two:

- When people claim things are God's "plan". Such as the death of a 5 year old child...

- Indoctrination under the guise of "Homeschooling". Idiotic brainwashed women who pump out 6,7,8 kids (with the permission of the husband, of course), and then barricade them at home so they can't think for themselves. Teach the girls how to be brainless homemakers who are supplicants to all men (aka help meet). Hello, child abuse! Shit should be illegal. 

How about you? What topic gets you worked up?
Illegitimi non carborundum
RE: What topics surrounding religion get you riled up?
That the butchering of an itinerant rabbi 2000 years ago somehow has a positive impact on my life.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Religiously motivated violence, child abuse, or neglect. Something that can cause a parent to betray their child can't be a wholly good thing.

Also any time you see a video about "10 things that destroy atheism", or something like that, half of them will be easily refuted, and the other half is likely to be too vague to be useful.

There are some wise things from Jesus that a lot of Christians ignore. Keep your belief private, and don't shout it in the streets like a hypocrite. Judge not, lest ye be judged. There's a live and let live message in there, as well as helping out people in need. A lot of the things people use to justify hate and violence is in the old testament, yet they want to call themselves Christians, and not jews. There's a lot of hate in the bible, for having a god who is supposed to be mostly about love and mercy.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Only a religious bunch of lunatics would make a practice of cutting off the end of their dicks.

If only they had made a habit of cutting off their balls.

The passive eugenics of it would make the practice die out quickly....
Telling children that if they're bad they'll be burnt alive forever.
Been through it myself and it's a fucking long nightmare.
Especially when you know you're bad and always will be.

It's not the topic, but the attitude. The arrogance of thinking one's intuition about the grand things can amount to knowledge, and especially knowledge that the others do not get to possess. I like the theist who says "I don't know, but I believe anyway" not the one who says "I know something you don't, here's some "non-convincer" to support what I say" type.
One really. Specific types of religious belief have an uncommon ability to facilitate our worst impulses, but beyond that religions pretty kosher, lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Subjugation of women.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
Ignoring science completely, as if it's a joke to justify what you believe to be true with evidence.

Believing that a theory in science is just a hunch.

Denying your children proper health care, to the point where they die.

Not vaccinating your children.

I could keep going for another couple pages.
Insanity - Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result
(August 29, 2019 at 8:11 am)Figbash Wrote: I have two:

- When people claim things are God's "plan". Such as the death of a 5 year old child...

- Indoctrination under the guise of "Homeschooling". Idiotic brainwashed women who pump out 6,7,8 kids (with the permission of the husband, of course), and then barricade them at home so they can't think for themselves. Teach the girls how to be brainless homemakers who are supplicants to all men (aka help meet). Hello, child abuse! Shit should be illegal. 

How about you? What topic gets you worked up?

When people say "I believe in science". 

My sister's on dating sites, and sometimes some guy usually when responding to questions of religious beliefs, would say he believes in science. My advice to her is stay away such people like the plague. An atheist is perfectly fine, but a guy who says he "believes in science", is just slightly worse than a sociopath, just more lame.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4208 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one? Fake Messiah 31 3187 July 17, 2019 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Losty
  How Do You Get Over Death? Shuffle 124 25719 September 2, 2015 at 11:37 pm
Last Post: Shuffle
  If You Ruled Your Own Country, Would You Ban Religion? Salacious B. Crumb 79 11936 May 8, 2015 at 2:13 am
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb
  Is no Religion a Religion. Artur Axmann 76 16546 June 14, 2014 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Muslim Atheism
Exclamation If people will ask you why do you hate religion,... MountainsWinAgain 16 3957 June 5, 2014 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: archangle
  One final attempt to get one over on you. Whateverist 25 6175 March 1, 2014 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  One final attempt to try and get through to you guys JesusLover1 153 17238 March 1, 2014 at 2:23 pm
Last Post: Mr. Moncrieff
  Former believers, did you feel religion scammed you? Lemonvariable72 71 16154 September 4, 2013 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Can being an atheist in America get you killed? Cyberman 7 3628 March 18, 2012 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Napoléon