Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Someone Explain This To Me?
Can Someone Explain This To Me?
So I was thinking back to a comic on a Truth For Youth Bible I read as a teenager, well I was 14 so teenager is a light term, and a thought came to mind.

I rather liked the comics, despite their horrible message and stupidity, it kept my attention with the art style and colors. And the magical one just had me laughing my ass off at how this idea, outside of the fact it's just stupid, would male for a humorous Netflix original. But on topic again, the one comic that had me scratching my head was the gay comic, with the usage of gays using the term 'Born This Way'.

Now, I myself am asexual, in a sense I don't like the idea of sex, but I also like both men and women in the dating category, took a lot of flip floppy for most of a teenage life to understand that. So I am not trying to dis on any of this, but it's a question that has plagued my mind for a while, and tends to cause me to go in circles.
But, when I heard many LGBT people using the term 'Born this way'. I always found myself very confused on the meaning of the words. 
I never understood how a person is born gay or bisexual, or transgender, or lesbian. I guess it could have something to do with chemicals, but then again straight people do say they were born straight. Much less I don't understand how you can tell how you were born, as most babies all look the same to me. Small, squishy, and with big eyes that rival my black moor fishes. 

I guess you could call it a choice, but that doesn't feel like the right word either, as some people do like men and just can't be turned on my women. So it would then translate to that you were born with the chemical thought pattern to look at men rather than women and vice versa. 
Then the transgender thing just makes it more of a headache, but I guess it could work in the same sense born with a different chemical balance than others Though saying it like that makes it sound like they have a mental problem, that is territory that just is more of a headache than this.

Anywho, anyone have any idea how to make sense of this. Or just to laugh at Truth For Youth comics also, because that's fun too!
((And please don't take this as me just being a bigot, I'm not trying to be that, but when I try and ask with question most call me homophobic. Clearly, I'm not a homophob, I'm just asking an honest question to get a clearer answer. Which, it hard in this day and age, because people get triggered over one trying to get clear answers. Almost like that want you to be oblivious.))
RE: Can Someone Explain This To Me?
Hi.
Whatever it is, it is 100% natural.
By my completely unqualified estimate, I'd say 80% nature, 20% nurture.

Leave the money on the fridge.
Big Grin
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(November 19, 2018 at 3:43 am)Jade-Green Stone Wrote: 'Born This Way'.

I think it's a good question and an important question, and also one that we can't answer.

You say that you are a certain way -- asexual -- and that it took a while to figure that out. So that's just what it means to be born a certain way. Nobody asked you to choose, you didn't select a multiple choice quiz at puberty. It just is.

But I don't think anybody knows why we are as we are. It's nature, it's nurture, it's genes, it's gene expression. Meh. Maybe someday they'll figure it out. But I don't think it matters. 

You know the word "homosexual" was only coined in the 19th century? Before that people didn't really have the concept of being a kind of person that was different. They just thought we like different things, as some people like blonds and some brunettes.

I was born in a tiny midwestern town that only had boring white people. Since then I have gone on to make a fool of myself over East Asian women. Go figure.
(November 19, 2018 at 3:43 am)Jade-Green Stone Wrote: So I was thinking back to a comic on a Truth For Youth Bible I read as a teenager, well I was 14 so teenager is a light term, and a thought came to mind.

I rather liked the comics, despite their horrible message and stupidity, it kept my attention with the art style and colors. And the magical one just had me laughing my ass off at how this idea, outside of the fact it's just stupid, would male for a humorous Netflix original. But on topic again, the one comic that had me scratching my head was the gay comic, with the usage of gays using the term 'Born This Way'.

Now, I myself am asexual, in a sense I don't like the idea of sex, but I also like both men and women in the dating category, took a lot of flip floppy for most of a teenage life to understand that. So I am not trying to dis on any of this, but it's a question that has plagued my mind for a while, and tends to cause me to go in circles.
But, when I heard many LGBT people using the term 'Born this way'. I always found myself very confused on the meaning of the words. 
I never understood how a person is born gay or bisexual, or transgender, or lesbian. I guess it could have something to do with chemicals, but then again straight people do say they were born straight. Much less I don't understand how you can tell how you were born, as most babies all look the same to me. Small, squishy, and with big eyes that rival my black moor fishes. 

I guess you could call it a choice, but that doesn't feel like the right word either, as some people do like men and just can't be turned on my women. So it would then translate to that you were born with the chemical thought pattern to look at men rather than women and vice versa. 
Then the transgender thing just makes it more of a headache, but I guess it could work in the same sense born with a different chemical balance than others Though saying it like that makes it sound like they have a mental problem, that is territory that just is more of a headache than this.

Anywho, anyone have any idea how to make sense of this. Or just to laugh at Truth For Youth comics also, because that's fun too!
((And please don't take this as me just being a bigot, I'm not trying to be that, but when I try and ask with question most call me homophobic. Clearly, I'm not a homophob, I'm just asking an honest question to get a clearer answer. Which, it hard in this day and age, because people get triggered over one trying to get clear answers. Almost like that want you to be oblivious.))
By born i think they mean that it developed the same way as being straight
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

I got into big trouble when I was young for asking a gay male couple which one was the girly one and which one was the manly one.
I'm pretty sure one of them called me a little hetero fuckhead.
I'm not homophobic, but it just doesn't compute that a butch man could be sexually attracted to another butch man.
I understand it to be true and have no problems with it, but I can't get my head around it.
It's the way I'm wired I guess, as I have no problems understanding why a girl would like a girl.
I have problems understanding asexuality also, especially when most asexual people can still orgasm.
I have been celibate for several periods in the past, but that was a choice I made for reasons outside of sex, as in, I didn't need the complications at those times.

I just accept it in the same way I accept that people like different food, music, clothing etc, to myself, although I know that is not a great analogy.

They Same way people who are tall, are just born that way.
Asexuality, like with anything else, is a complex phenomenon.

Here's what Wikipedia has to say on this subject:

Quote:Asexuality is the lack of sexual attraction to others, or low or absent interest in or desire for sexual activity. It may be considered the lack of a sexual orientation, or one of the variations thereof, alongside heterosexuality, homosexuality and bisexuality. It may also be categorized more widely to include a broad spectrum of asexual sub-identities.

So, broadly speaking, to be asexual you have to either lack sexual attraction to other people or lack a desire to participate in anything sexual. I think it has to be enduring lack of desire as well, but not sure.

Note it doesn't mean asexual people do not nevertheless have sexual activities with others (or themselves), whether to impress others, to experiment, etc. It also doesn't mean you can't have romantic attraction to others.
(November 19, 2018 at 8:18 am)no one Wrote: They Same way people who are tall, are just born that way.

A much better analogy, except tall people are disgusting. ;-)

I know! Just thinking about those big, long, strides when they "walk" is just nauseating!
(November 19, 2018 at 3:43 am)Jade-Green Stone Wrote: So I was thinking back to a comic on a Truth For Youth Bible I read as a teenager, well I was 14 so teenager is a light term, and a thought came to mind.

I've never been sure there is any way one is or should be on account of ones sex, orientation, race, age or other demographic.  Later I claimed my undecided nature as authentically my own.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When someone says something really stupid. Cod 8 1555 July 28, 2019 at 7:35 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A day with someone from AF Cod 76 7078 April 27, 2019 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: Shell B
Music The best advice someone gave you. onlinebiker 65 6226 April 14, 2019 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  The WORST Advice Someone Ever Gave You BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1082 April 14, 2019 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  You can clone someone... The Valkyrie 34 3975 April 5, 2018 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Explain This #2: The Mandela Effect GrandizerII 11 1770 February 2, 2018 at 11:29 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Explain This #1: Belief vs. Knowledge GrandizerII 23 3160 January 16, 2018 at 6:55 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Peanut Gallery Thread for Explain This #1: Belief vs. Knowledge GrandizerII 22 3690 January 12, 2018 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  When someone knocks on your front door when you're not expecting anyone. Edwardo Piet 60 8980 December 13, 2017 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Can someone explain the Holocaust? Europa! 6 1354 September 15, 2017 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: Minimalist