Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Superintelligence Meets Religion
Superintelligence Meets Religion
I apologize if i'm not posting this thread in the correct area.. I debated on which to start it on and decided on relgion in general...

An interesting read...

Would the AI even have a concept of a diety if prestented with one?

http://www.dailydot.com/lifestyle/superi...ion/?fb=dd
QuarkDriven  
   KCCO
North NJ l USA l Earth
Milky Way l The Universe
RE: Superintelligence Meets Religion
Depends on what definition of god you use. The biblical one is logically contradictory
(August 6, 2015 at 2:52 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: Depends on what definition of god you use. The biblical one is logically contradictory

what about a god in general.. just a "creator of all things"

or do you think having its initial intelligence coming from humans, that it can perhaps think like humans did/do and create their own robot god...

[img]<a href=[/img][Image: QK41How.png]" />
QuarkDriven  
   KCCO
North NJ l USA l Earth
Milky Way l The Universe
Just as an aside, Ray Kuzweil is an idiot and the singularity, if it ever happens, will NOT happen in 2045. At least not for the reasons that people like Ray Kuzweil and other media scientists like Kevin Warwick claim. Their calculation is based on Moore's law continuing and that one neuron is the equivalent of one byte.

But getting back to the OP, if anyone's going to be their god then it will be us. Much like we are worshipped by dogs.
(August 6, 2015 at 3:08 pm)I_am_not_mafia Wrote: But getting back to the OP, if anyone's going to be their god then it will be us. Much like we are worshipped by dogs.

And by horny guys, for some of you lucky cunts.
(August 6, 2015 at 3:08 pm)I_am_not_mafia Wrote: Just as an aside, Ray Kuzweil is an idiot and the singularity, if it ever happens, will NOT happen in 2045. At least not for the reasons that people like Ray Kuzweil and other media scientists like Kevin Warwick claim. Their calculation is based on Moore's law continuing and that one neuron is the equivalent of one byte.

But getting back to the OP, if anyone's going to be their god then it will be us. Much like we are worshipped by dogs.

I'm not familiar with Ray Kuzweil and 2045 certainly seems like a stretch....

while posting this, that was one of my thoughts... technically, we would be their creator...  at that point, there could be no Robot Atheists lol

Another point is, I don't know why they would even want to introduce the concept of a god or religion to an AI.. I mean, there's always the chance it can develop it by watching humans, but would the AI be able to take things as metaphors or would they take it literal. or.. would it be so out of their realm, that they just don't care about it...
QuarkDriven  
   KCCO
North NJ l USA l Earth
Milky Way l The Universe
If you mean a god in the sense,"creator of all things".then a god doesn't necessarily have to be a person.
It may very well be an event that took place which lead to the creation of all things.

On a side note,i agree with I_am_mafia,computers wouldn't be able to reason or have experiences and learn from them,i.e,adaptive ability in the near future.
Also,nobody has to be paranoid about computers dominating humans,because basically a computer is programmable and a computer being programmable can be programmed in such a manner that it doesn't affect the existence and survival of humans in any manner.
Computers are only as smart as we program them to be,moreover the technical boundaries when it comes to creating a proficient AI is literally too much to handle.
Ultimately an AI that might threaten the human race with superior reasoning and intelligence can only be created after human's fully understand how the brain works to the last minute detail,i don't see that happening very soon,until then although we'd be able to develop relatively impressive AI's,it will be mindless nevertheless.

@QuarkDriven,
If you mean Robot atheists are not possible because we created them and hence we are the creator,then you're probably wrong.
Because if that were true human atheists wouldn't also be possible because we know our "creators",i.e,our Mom and Dad but most of us still choose to be atheists because the questions doesn't end with a female and male having sex.
(August 6, 2015 at 3:34 pm)pool Wrote: If you mean a god in the sense,"creator of all things".then a god doesn't necessarily have to be a person.
It may very well be an event that took place which lead to the creation of all things.

On a side note,i agree with I_am_mafia,computers wouldn't be able to reason or have experiences and learn from them,i.e,adaptive ability in the near future.
Also,nobody has to be paranoid about computers dominating humans,because basically a computer is programmable and a computer being programmable can be programmed in such a manner that it doesn't affect the existence and survival of humans in any manner.
Computers are only as smart as we program them to be,moreover the technical boundaries when it comes to creating a proficient AI is literally too much to handle.
Ultimately an AI that might threaten the human race with superior reasoning and intelligence can only be created after human's fully understand how the brain works to the last minute detail,i don't see that happening very soon,until then although we'd be able to develop relatively impressive AI's,it will be mindless nevertheless.

@QuarkDriven,
If you mean Robot atheists are not possible because we created them and hence we are the creator,then you're probably wrong.
Because if that were true human atheists wouldn't also be possible because we know our "creators",i.e,our Mom and Dad but most of us still choose to be atheists because the questions doesn't end with a female and male having sex.

I meant it more as in being their "god(s)" vs. something as literal as parents. in that sense, yeah, none of us can be an atheist as we do know our creator, and for those unlucky enough to not know their parents, they still have "creators"...

I agree that I don't see it happening anytime soon, but I don't want discount the idea of an AI becoming self aware and having its own thoughts vs. that of what it was programed to "think" do and respond/react. Maybe I've seen too many movies... idk
QuarkDriven  
   KCCO
North NJ l USA l Earth
Milky Way l The Universe
(August 6, 2015 at 3:08 pm)I_am_not_mafia Wrote: But getting back to the OP, if anyone's going to be their god then it will be us. Much like we are worshipped by dogs.
But I don't want to be a god. Can't I just tell them the can opener did it?

What if not god/worshipper but master/slave relationship. Not many of those turn out well.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10701 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4894 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19776 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49211 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5181 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused