Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing Your Mind
Changing Your Mind
When was the last time you changed your mind on a political stance, and what was it?

Personally, I used to be a progressive, however, just a few months ago, I completely lost all association with the group. I don't know what political group I am in currently, but I am definitely far left.
RE: Changing Your Mind
Just a few weeks ago, I thought Huckabee was just as big a turd as Santorum, I now feel Huckabee is at least 1/3 larger a turd than Santorum.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

They're all turds.

Anusius must love them.
(August 8, 2015 at 1:07 am)Shuffle Wrote: When was the last time you changed your mind on a political stance, and what was it?

Personally, I used to be a progressive, however, just a few months ago, I completely lost all association with the group. I don't know what political group I am in currently, but I am definitely far left.

Around the age of 16 I used to get a laugh out of groups like the EDL and BNP, even somewhat agreeing with most of their tripe. 

Then I realised how stupid it all was. 

But honestly? When I look around at all the immigrants in the UK, and the muslims especially, I'm starting to think some of their shit isn't all that wrong and after seeing the smear campaign against UKIP made by the media in an attempt to brand them racists, I actually think they're the only few who call out the problems with multi-culturalism and immigration and say it how it is.

That's all I can think of right now, anyway.
I've always been liberal (SDLP since I've been old enough to vote), but I used to believe that the death penalty was justified in certain, extreme instances. Around 10-12 years ago, I became convinced that the death penalty is always, without exception, wrong in every conceivable case (for a variety of reasons).

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I switched from conservative to left about 25 years ago when the Iron Curtain fell and the Conservatives did no longer feel the need to keep up the nice nice facade. That's when they really started to fuck everyone over in order to help their millionaire buddies. And I'm not the one calling for a second helping.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I was in high school when Nixon went to China. It was damn impressive. I was pretty much on board with tricky Dicky till he imploded.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

When I started paying more attention to politics, I realised that republicans don't really have the best interests of low income atheists at heart. Unfortunately there are some establishment democrats who are as bought off as republicans, and keep being dragged to the right as the republicans keep nominating right wing extremists.

I can't say I'm with any party, but if I vote on any individual it's more likely a democrat than a republican. At the moment I'm in the Bernie Sanders group.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I was once totally against nuclear power, then all for it, and now I'm mildly for it.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I have not had a significant change in political position in so long I do not remember what the last bit of changing was.  I was raised to be religious, and as a consequence of such silly beliefs, I was quite conservative.  When I became an atheist, I almost instantly changed to liberal.  Over the years, I have gradually become ever further to the left.  In fact, the last time I took one of those online quizzes that rates one for liberal and conservative, authoritarian or libertarian, on the graph, I was placed all the way to the left.  Here is an article about the sort of thing I mean:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_compass

So, pretty much everyone else is conservative from my perspective.  But I am well aware of the fact that I am not viewing matters from the center, and have a pretty good idea of where the center is, unlike some fringe people I have encountered (both at the far left and far right, as well as far authoritarian and far libertarian).  In other words, I fully understand that I am at the far left, and do not pretend that my position is in the middle for comparison, unlike some idiots who only seem to be able to compare others to themselves rather than be able to realize how their own position skews such perspectives.

Back to the question of the opening post, my changing in recent decades has been so gradual and so slight that it is hardly noticeable from one year to the next, which makes it difficult to answer the question as asked.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The WLB Changes His Mind. Or Not. Minimalist 1 543 April 12, 2018 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New mind about terrorism: useful terrorism A-g-n-o-s-t-i-c 11 1271 December 4, 2017 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  It is Simply Mind-Boggling Minimalist 0 334 October 7, 2017 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Schindler's List and the mind of Drumpf Brian37 49 7260 November 22, 2016 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Thomas Jefferson - A Great Man and Mind being Minimalist 4 1030 February 9, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Can someone help me? I'm trying to open my mind to new ideas about Refugees DespondentFishdeathMasochismo 100 11130 November 30, 2015 at 2:59 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Minorities voting behavior changing. Something completely different 2 1198 August 19, 2013 at 11:12 am
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
  The changing attitude towards homosexuality in the western world. Something completely different 0 864 July 2, 2013 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Something completely different
  Here's What The Corporate Whores Have In Mind Minimalist 32 9276 June 22, 2011 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah
  "Changing Zeitgeist" The Always god-like C. Hitchens RachelSkates 2 2908 August 19, 2010 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: tavarish