Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sixth sense and intuition
Sixth sense and intuition
What do you guys think about six sense and intuition? That creepy feeling on the back of your neck when meeting a what seems to be a perfectly nice person, but they rub you wrong? Or a new house that feels spooky? Or just even a feeling that something is about to happen?
RE: Sixth sense and intuition
Yes.I've had that feeling,it all usually goes away after you poop.
Tricks mind plays on itself.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
I think such phenomena are our instinctive, subconscious recognition/communication tools kicking in and providing our conscious self with extra information. We all have subconscious tools, of varying levels of effectiveness, that developed when we were primarily instinctive creatures. There are people like Derren Brown who have a particular talent at consciously deploying those tools (e.g. recognising the tiniest physical responses to stimuli in his 'mind reading' techniques, using specific communication methods to provoke predicted behaviour) but there are also people who do the same without realising what they're doing (which is what I think is happening when people are sincerely convinced that they have 'psychic' powers). IMO sixth senses and 'infallable' intuition fall in to the same category.
Sum ergo sum
I've always taken it as a signal from my brain as "hey stop twiddling your thumbs! Pay attention!"
Our brain is dealing with loads of info which we don't realize consciously. For example, in an experiment it was seen that people can normally tell the difference between a hot and cold beverage being poured in to the cup, by just hearing the sound. Martial artists, and people with physical disabilities often show heightened senses which amazes us mere mortals. We all have these senses, we just don't use them properly, but that doesn't mean they are not doing their jobs. They do collect all the info and push it all to our brain to process, and the brain uses these additional info to infer things, which seem like intuition or the sixth sense to us.

Also in other situations, 6th sense is pretty much the outcome of a confirmation bias. Let's say personA has a loved one, personB, who gets into an accident. And personA claims they had felt that personB was in danger, though they might've been on the other side of the planet. The thing that happens generally in this situation is, personA is always worried about their loved one, but until something actually happens, they'll subconsciously discard these worries. Now personA might consciously or subconsciously know some traits of personB which causes the worry, like maybe, personB is a bit sick recently? or perhaps is a bad driver but is going on a road trip? So when the incident does occur, in their own mind they associate it with the worry at that moment and attribute it a special meaning, the 6th sense.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

On the one hand, I accept that humans have definitely developed something that, for lack of a better word, I would call intuition. We have evolved a keen sense of how to "read" our fellow humans because it can impart an evolutionary advantage - being able to detect the subtleties of when someone is deceiving us can save our lives, especially in the past when encounter people you're not familiar with often, literally, a matter of life and death. We also use this ability in other ways that might have helped our ancestors survive more readily than others.

As far as a person being able to tell hot from cold water merely by the sound of it being poured, I could see an evolutionary advantage to a skill like that being developed, so I don't have a huge reason to call bullshit on a claim like that. (Although now I kind of want to test it out on the water dispenser here at my office... Big Grin)

I, personally, wouldn't call it a sixth sense because that implies that it's something supernatural, merely because of the connotations that have come to be attached to that term.

I also agree with Aoi that there is a huge element of confirmation bias that comes into play whenever we say that we have successfully deduced something through our intuition. Yes, you may have correctly deduced that your employee was lying about how long it took to complete that project last week, but did you didn't have a clue that your other employee has been embezzling money from your company and has been getting away with it for three years. In the first case you'd call yourself a whiz at identifying problem employees. But you're not even aware of the second case.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
I agree Clueless I'm sure what we'd call the "else" either.
I always relate this to that feeling of keeping time in a song. When you play with musicians, you're bound to mess up, and when you're a novice, you'll likely stop everything and start from the beginning, whereas a seasoned player will jump back on, because the song is playing in their head. But that's not even the feeling I'm talking about, that's still the player actively keeping time. There's a point when it becomes so intuitive that you no longer have to actively keep time. It just becomes a notion.

*Anecdote Alert!* The other day in the lab walking from room to room. One room had a radio on and I started humming along. I walked into another room while completing some task including running through some calculations and weighing a few things. Every now and then, I'd focus back on to humming that song. When I walked back into the room with the radio, I was right on time with the song.

I think this could explain how sometimes we know exactly when someone might call us on the phone and other "weird" things. We subconsciously keep time with the pattern in our lives. Now, obviously this is just as much of an assertion as a supernatural explanation, but at least it moves it away from the supernatural.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(August 12, 2015 at 10:42 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: What do you guys think about six sense and intuition? That creepy feeling on the back of your neck when meeting a what seems to be a perfectly nice person, but they rub you wrong? Or a new house that feels spooky? Or just even a feeling that something is about to happen?

There are many more than six senses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUn7zy8Ya20

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does Joshua James Duggar's sentence make sense? Jehanne 6 677 August 26, 2022 at 8:59 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The story of Midas makes no sense Foxaèr 13 1159 April 27, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  somebody, Please Talk Sense into My Stupid Head. I Think I'm Getting Ready to Fuck Up Rhondazvous 30 2246 September 13, 2018 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Why do some people lack a sense of humor? NuclearEnergy 20 3683 November 25, 2017 at 11:48 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Christians have a sense of humor Kingpin 36 6136 January 14, 2016 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  'God' is starting to make less sense to me. (rant) IanHulett 45 6785 June 19, 2015 at 7:40 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  common sense DramaQueen 16 2044 November 27, 2014 at 7:12 am
Last Post: A Theist
  "A Sense Of Humility" Edwardo Piet 1 1140 April 19, 2013 at 9:43 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  what is up with this sense of entitlement? ohh EPiC FAiL 7 3107 June 16, 2012 at 5:51 am
Last Post: Darth
  Sense of smell thesummerqueen 23 4099 September 20, 2011 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen