Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accepting the inevitable
Accepting the inevitable
I'm going to die.

Yes. In a few decades, my life will come to its natural end.

Everything I've ever been, thought, felt, cared about and knew, will dissipate. My vital processes will cease; the circulation in my body will stop, and my brain will die. All of my memories, everything that constitutes me, will vaporize. I will be no longer, never to come to be again.

And shortly after, when my loved ones' memory will fade or die with them, it will be as if I had never been brought into this world at all.

I like to think of it as a match lit in the darkness.
A spark, coming from nowhere, appearing suddenly, burning fervently and fading away as abruptly as it came to be, departing back into nothingness. A brief, sudden and passionate pulse of life.

Death isn't a pleasant thing to think about, and there is no reason why it should be. But it's inevitable.

Everything that's ever been born, must die. There is no court of appeals. No second opinions. No way around it.

We will all eventually and permanently cease to be. And the same is true for everything in existence. The stars we see today will be extinguished as they burn up all of their fuel and run out of energy. Soon there will be only black holes, which too, in the end, will disappear, and the universe will become cold and empty.

Our death is unavoidable.

And it may be the one thing that makes life this precious. How much more beautiful are the stars now that I know they're going to go out, one by one, like fireworks, to never shine again. How much more breathtaking is the night sky, when I know it will one day darken forever. How much more important, and how much more fragile is every single day of my existence, now that I understand that it will inescapably come to an end. How much more value I see in my fellow human beings, now that I comprehend that a single capricious turn of events could forever erase them from existence.

This is all we have....But how could you want anything more?

It's not something our innate desire to live deals with easily. But hiding under a soft, warm blanket won't make the real world go away. Pretending we'll all survive our own deaths to meet again won't make it so, and how much sweeter and how much more real can reality be when you finally dare to look it in the eye.

Yes, we're all going to die. So is it really worth killing each other over it?
RE: Accepting the inevitable
I have no fear of death, since not existing simply implies not knowing I no longer exist, since I don't exist anymore. It was that way before I was born and if I hadn't been born I wouldn't know the difference.

The only thing worrying me at times is the process of dying. That can take on all kind of forms, not many of them pretty.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(August 15, 2015 at 6:23 am)Neimenovic Wrote: I'm going to die.

Yes. In a few decades, my life will come to its natural end.

Everything I've ever been, thought, felt, cared about and knew, will dissipate. My vital processes will cease; the circulation in my body will stop, and my brain will die. All of my memories, everything that constitutes me, will vaporize. I will be no longer, never to come to be again.

And shortly after, when my loved ones' memory will fade or die with them, it will be as if I had never been brought into this world at all.

I like to think of it as a match lit in the darkness.
A spark, coming from nowhere, appearing suddenly, burning fervently and fading away as abruptly as it came to be, departing back into nothingness. A brief, sudden and passionate pulse of life.

Death isn't a pleasant thing to think about, and there is no reason why it should be. But it's inevitable.

Everything that's ever been born, must die. There is no court of appeals. No second opinions. No way around it.

We will all eventually and permanently cease to be. And the same is true for everything in existence. The stars we see today will be extinguished as they burn up all of their fuel and run out of energy. Soon there will be only black holes, which too, in the end, will disappear, and the universe will become cold and empty.

Our death is unavoidable.

And it may be the one thing that makes life this precious. How much more beautiful are the stars now that I know they're going to go out, one by one, like fireworks, to never shine again. How much more breathtaking is the night sky, when I know it will one day darken forever. How much more important, and how much more fragile is every single day of my existence, now that I understand that it will inescapably come to an end. How much more value I see in my fellow human beings, now that I comprehend that a single capricious turn of events could forever erase them from existence.

This is all we have....But how could you want anything more?

It's not something our innate desire to live deals with easily. But hiding under a soft, warm blanket won't make the real world go away. Pretending we'll all survive our own deaths to meet again won't make it so, and how much sweeter and how much more real can reality be when you finally dare to look it in the eye.

Yes, we're all going to die. So is it really worth killing each other over it?

Guessing after guessing after guessing dressed as evidence and then so many people here have the audacity to say that atheists do not make claims.  Smile  Rolleyes  Smile
Quote:Everything that's ever been born, must die.
Thanks, parents!
Who let Little Rik out of his enclosure?
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(August 15, 2015 at 6:37 am)noahide Wrote:
Quote:Everything that's ever been born, must die.
Thanks, parents!

What about this.............THE ONE WHO NEVER BORN WILL NEVER DIE.  Smile
(August 15, 2015 at 6:38 am)Homeless Nutter Wrote: Who let Little Rik out of his enclosure?

My guess is that it is very hard to face the reality of being wrong.  Smile
(August 15, 2015 at 6:44 am)Little Rik Wrote:
(August 15, 2015 at 6:37 am)noahide Wrote: Thanks, parents!

What about this.............THE ONE WHO NEVER BORN WILL NEVER DIE.  Smile

HE NOT ENGLISH WELL.

WHAT A FOO
Hey, Rick - do you think you're still going to be brain-dead in your next life?
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(August 15, 2015 at 6:49 am)Homeless Nutter Wrote: Hey, Rick - do you think you're still going to be brain-dead in your next life?

Oh, you reckon i am brain dead now?
Put in this way Nutter.
If with this dead brain i am able to knock down all your dogmas that only means that you are even
more dead brain than myself.
You never thought about it Nutter, didn't you?  ROFLOL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Family not accepting you're an Atheist UniverseCaptain 45 5360 October 28, 2021 at 12:51 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  What Major Intellectual Issue Most Keeps You From Accepting The Christian Narrative? Captain Hook 324 32810 March 21, 2018 at 1:11 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Sam Harris (an atheist) says that God is possible/inevitable ThoughtCurvature 12 3029 September 5, 2017 at 5:27 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Accepting/Rejecting "Atheism" as a label. Golbez 95 28511 February 1, 2013 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: iameatingjam