Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tax Exempt John Oliver
Tax Exempt John Oliver
This is a bit long, but stay with it, it is hilarious.  Sadly it is true though.

I just wish John wouldn't have started with the statement that there are good churches.  I have to wonder where all the money actually goes, even for a little church.  Last I checked preacher man gets paid first and foremost.

My old church was relatively new, when it started 2003, the US was in a good place economically (at least in North Carolina).  Through a few well thought out sermons, the preacher man convinced us he needed a good home to entertain church members ( I was never invited) and enough money that his wife could stay at home.  Well over 100,000 dollars.  He got it!  His wife still works to this day!  Praise be to Allah.  Enter the crash of 2008, it especially hit Charlotte hard because we have two of the largest banks headquartered here.  The church struggled to stay afloat.  Budgets were drastically cut but one thing remained...preacher mans salary.  In fact he bought a sports car in the midst of people in the church losing houses and going bankrupt.

To the theist that think it is sour grapes that he made more money than me, I am one of the fools that approved all the budgets (fucking idiot).  So yes, televangelist's make more money, but the spirit is the same.  Take money from people who trust you and give them false hope.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/john...ostpopular
RE: Tax Exempt John Oliver
That's one of the things I like about my church. Everything is posted in the weekly bulletin. Every dollar collected, the weekly and monthly budget and yes this includes salaries. About 1/3 goes to staff and the building, the rest is given to projects like benevolence/feeding the members of the community, various camps, and schools, mission trips and even some seed churches we started in other countries. there are also third party organizations that churches subscribe to if they don't want to open their books to the general public that ensure that no one is dipping their hand into the till.
Care to speculate on what John will do with the money? Ya know he's gonna get some.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(August 17, 2015 at 1:09 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Care to speculate on what John will do with the money? Ya know he's gonna get some.

Maybe he'll continue his correspondence with that faith healer guy. You know, just to see where things go... Tongue
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(August 17, 2015 at 1:09 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Care to speculate on what John will do with the money? Ya know he's gonna get some.

The website says he's donating it to Doctors Without Borders.
(August 17, 2015 at 2:29 pm)Tiberius Wrote:

The website says he's donating it to Doctors Without Borders.
Didn't read that. Excellent choice. Thanks.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
It's on this page: http://www.ourladyofperpetualexemption.com/donate.html
I just imagine the room in the mega church where the little colorful oils and mountain shapes are just being shoved into envelopes and the checks being stacked into a nice little pile.

For Jesus.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
It has to be EXTRA virgin olive oil, otherwise the holy spirit won't "fuck" with it
You know, I wonder if, when you donate money, Oliver sends you cloth cutouts of the space sex gecko? Or perhaps sputum coughed up by Jeff the Diseased Lung?

Whose got some spare cash and wants to find out for the rest of us? Big Grin
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  John Oliver on Televangelists. Brian37 10 1025 September 17, 2021 at 5:10 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Bill Maher Says It. Tax the Fucking Churches! Minimalist 29 5446 April 20, 2016 at 4:36 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  No, You Silly Twat....Oliver Got It Exactly Right Minimalist 7 3441 August 20, 2015 at 1:28 pm
Last Post: NoFaith2Burn4
  Should Churches Remain Tax-Exempt? vaginahouse 341 60694 December 25, 2014 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  St. John The Divine's private parking Rokcet Scientist 8 2868 March 20, 2012 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise
  Remains of st john the baptist 'found' downbeatplumb 10 3852 August 3, 2010 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Minimalist