Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Churches Remain Tax-Exempt?
Should Churches Remain Tax-Exempt?
US churches* received an official federal income tax exemption in 1894, and they have been unofficially tax-exempt since the country's founding. All 50 US states and the District of Columbia exempt churches from paying property tax. Donations to churches are tax-deductible. The debate continues over whether or not these tax benefits should be retained.

Proponents argue that a tax exemption keeps the government out of church finances and thus upholds the separation of church and state. They say that churches deserve a tax break because they provide crucial social services, and that 200 years of church tax exemptions have not turned America into a theocracy.

Opponents argue that giving churches special tax exemptions violates the separation of church and state, and that tax exemptions are a privilege, not a constitutional right. They say that in tough economic times the government cannot afford what amounts to a subsidy worth billions of dollars every year.
RE: Should Churches Remain Tax-Exempt?
I'll keep my response simple.

No.
No, Matt, they should not.......
I'll keep my response similarly simple.

Ditto.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
No...
If keeping the government out of church finances were the only reason for the exemption then churches wouldn't have property tax, and sales tax exemptions. Nor do I see that they actually do all that much charity work unless you pretend missionary work is charity, and what they do do either comes with strings, or is really mostly for their own members. So no, I don't think churches should have tax exemptions as churches, but if they can fit into some of the other tax exempt statuses like educational institutions, or charitable ones, they should be able to use those.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Not only should they be taxed they should be hit with a Special Human Ignorance Tax.
If they're not going to keep themselves separate from the state, I don't see why they should be tax exempt. The whole point of tax exemption is the separation of church and state, which religious people trmple over in an attempt to get into public schools and offices, so why should they be tax exempt?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

No. Tax 'em.

EDIT: I thought I'd add that in Mississippi, where I have the misfortune to live, churches are also exempt from sales tax on all utilities (electricity, water, natural gas, etc.). This costs the state millions in sales tax revenue. It's okay for them not to pay sales tax, but it is acceptable for people to pay sales tax on fucking groceries. A tax on food is damn near the most regressive one I can imagine.
Tax 'em.

As for regressive taxes, we need a few (at least one), everybody (!) needs a financial stake in the system as motivation to go vote.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why people remain in cultlike religious communities Won2blv 6 650 April 1, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Churches need to be taxed Foxaèr 12 643 July 16, 2020 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Montreal is taxing churches Foxaèr 4 672 June 23, 2018 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  I Can Just Hear All Churches Shitting Bricks On This One Minimalist 40 7176 December 7, 2017 at 5:00 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  How many churches/mosques/temples do you see everyday? Casca 23 2913 October 25, 2016 at 11:38 am
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  Do Catholics have most boring churches/ liturgy? Fake Messiah 55 8855 October 22, 2016 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Bill Maher Says It. Tax the Fucking Churches! Minimalist 29 5440 April 20, 2016 at 4:36 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Tax Exempt John Oliver polar bear 16 4402 August 18, 2015 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Anyone very educated in the catholic churches history? LoveLogicalLife 21 4354 August 11, 2014 at 11:29 am
Last Post: ManMachine
  Why don't terrorists just suicide bomb churches in the US? Dosolid 37 8418 June 5, 2014 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: vodkafan